US Constitution Discussion, Part 26: Amendment XV

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

US Constitution Discussion, Part 26: Amendment XV

Post by Martin Blank » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:28 pm

Previous discussion part: US Constitution Discussion, Part 25: Amendment XIV

Articles and Sections are offset by bold text; and underlined text has been modified, superseded, or repealed by Amendments, and generally are no longer in effect.

Article XV.

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Ratification completed February 3, 1870
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:30 pm

Getting caught up on things here after problems with my computer for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, this one is straightforward, although in reading it now, it seems to me that the last part of Section 1 may require that voting rights be returned to felons that have lost their voting rights as a result of their sentence, as happens in most states. I do feel that those who have completed their sentences should be given back their voting rights; there may be a constitutional requirement for it.

Interesting how a later reading of things can bring new light to an old topic.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.