COVID's touch

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

COVID's touch

Post by Martin Blank » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:18 pm

Sometime in the next few hours or days, a woman I have known my entire life will be gone, taken by COVID likely because one infected nurse at her nursing home couldn't quarantine like she was told and just had to come on-site to have lunch with her friends. Peggy joined the family, as I am told, as a hitchhiker picked up by my grandfather when he was doing long-haul trucking. She is feisty and independent, but also generous and loving. While there are rifts in my family, everyone loves Peggy.

Maybe she could have had the will to get better, but she was to be sent back to the nursing home, a place where medications were filled haphazardly if at all, where bed sore checks were rarely made on schedule, where "COVID isolation" meant being moved to a wing of the home where you were put in a room with another COVID-positive patient. Fortunately, she's going to a hospice center and not back to the nursing home (though the hospice is owned by the same company), where she will live out whatever time she has left, and then leave her broken body and not live in fear or pain anymore.

I don't know what the situation is in the Idaho panhandle regarding COVID. We hear a lot more about the bigger states, and even news about Idaho tends to be about Boise. If anyone knows more directly what Couer d'Alene is going through, please let me know. She was sent to the hospital when she had difficulty breathing, tested positive, and then was sent back to the nursing home 24 hours later when she didn't progress. I don't know if the area is inundated and the hospital was doing triage or they just suck. She went back to the hospital two days later and was on a ventilator for a while before going to a BIPAP. She started refusing food, water, and medications, and is in renal failure. She's refusing communications with anyone, probably because she's too tired to argue about her decision. She just wants to die at this point, and it pains me to think of both how and why.

On a secondary note, my brother is getting married in September, ceremony and all. I'm not going because of the COVID risk and he understands. I am annoyed that he couldn't wait a while for this, but it's his call. I am afraid that those in attendance will be at a higher risk, including my parents, who are both in their 60s, and my father has a ton of underlying conditions. Hell, my brother was until recently a smoker and has diminished lung capacity. I hope nothing happens, but I am afraid that will not be the case.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Re: COVID's touch

Post by raptor9k » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:02 pm

That sucks, no matter how you look at it. May she find peace.

We are the only ones on my wife's side that are taking it seriously. So many people are having weddings and vacations and doing whatever the hell they want, all the while ranting against the statewide mask mandate that was only enacted last week. I'm not sure they will even take it seriously once someone dies. My father in law (obese, smoker, high blood pressure, diabetic) finally realized it wasn't just the flu when one of his, far healthier, good friends spent a week on a ventilator.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:26 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. It seems like these kinds of stories are the culmination of so many negative developments over the years and have only highlighted them more starkly. I hope for better.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:09 pm

raptor9k wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:02 pm
That sucks, no matter how you look at it. May she find peace.

We are the only ones on my wife's side that are taking it seriously. So many people are having weddings and vacations and doing whatever the hell they want, all the while ranting against the statewide mask mandate that was only enacted last week. I'm not sure they will even take it seriously once someone dies. My father in law (obese, smoker, high blood pressure, diabetic) finally realized it wasn't just the flu when one of his, far healthier, good friends spent a week on a ventilator.
My dad is severely obese, has heart issues, and has gone through renal failure once already. All of those are bad going into COVID, and he's going to the wedding.
Deacon wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:26 pm
I'm sorry to hear that. It seems like these kinds of stories are the culmination of so many negative developments over the years and have only highlighted them more starkly. I hope for better.
I've come to the conclusion that this country has a lot of selfishness in it. People have just been willing to mask it behind an occasional kindness. Gonna remember those people, right in the same group as people who leave shopping carts strewn about the parking lot.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:20 am

I'm sorry to hear that COVID-19 has reached your life personally like this. If and when the pandemic ends in this country I really hope that people in this country take a long hard look at themselves.

Well, that's me being optimistic. The jaded side of me thinks that too many people are inherently selfish and would only listen if it left them personally scarred.

But you continue to do whatever it takes to protect yourself and your family. I know we all want you to be around for years.
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:24 am

I’m sorry to hear of your news, MB. Although as an introduction story, I can’t see many beating Peggy’s.

I worry about my American chums at the moment. I’ve stopped following the need quite as slavishly as I was a while back as it was making me want to introduce my blood to bathwater and also I’ve been busy, but things aren’t looking good over there eh?

Mind you, for all I know the UK is equally fucked. I hear murmurings that a lot of England is going into lockdown again.
To Let