phpBB 3.3 upgrade complete

Talk about whatever you feel like.
Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

phpBB 3.3 upgrade complete

Post by Martin Blank » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:24 pm

Hey, everyone. Sorry about the outage. I did an upgrade on the server last night that broke backward PHP compatibility. Rather than figure that out, I opted instead to upgrade the forum to the version that works with PHP 7.3. Yay for supported functionality!
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: phpBB 3.3 upgrade complete

Post by Deacon » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:20 pm

Awesome! While RLF is only lightly traveled these days, thank you for keeping the lights on :)
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:24 pm

Indeed. Thank you.

I dread a day when that error message becomes permanent.

Oh, okay, probably not that particular message. What do I know from computers?
To Let

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:23 am

I know when I saw it my first thought was "well there it goes". Glad to see it still putting along. Maybe one day the comic will once again grace us with its presence as well.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

I like pie
Crazy Person

Post by I like pie » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:10 am

An upgrade, huzzah! Thanks for keeping things modern.
"It's like Garr and Andre 3000 of Outkast had a child!" -- StruckingFuggle p339018

Real Life Chat on Discord

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:35 pm

"Modern" would probably involve different forum software. But I still with phpBB because it's what I know and trust. I was going through some old files last night, looking, oddly enough, for some old files and found the upgrade set for phpBB 3.0...from about a decade ago. The crew is working on 4.0, but if I had to guess, it's at least a year out, if not more. The only reason this build got the 3.3.0 moniker is because enough parts changed under the hood (PHP 7.3 compatibility, upgraded Symfony libraries, I think password storage moved from MD5 to Argon2id, and some other things). Version 4 is supposed to be significantly different, a complete refactorizing of the code, but I have no trust it will move soon. Just getting to v3 took years, and the interest in maintaining forum software has greatly waned since the advent of social media.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:30 pm

It seems to me like XF has taken over the forum world, barring the the corporate forum farms for profit that still seem to mostly run some heavily bastardized versions of vBulletin.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:49 pm

https://ibb.co/m5jvC55

So ironically I was trying to post the above image using the image function and kept getting the message "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct" So I gave up.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:50 pm

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:52 pm

So that URL of yours links to a web page that has images in it. You have to get the URL of the image itself.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:23 pm

I thought that is what I was doing. Show off :P.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:34 pm

I don’t think I have ever known that.

I should have asked years ago.
To Let

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Deacon wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:30 pm
It seems to me like XF has taken over the forum world, barring the the corporate forum farms for profit that still seem to mostly run some heavily bastardized versions of vBulletin.
Ars Technica runs a modified version of phpBB, and I think is one of the largest forums that does so. There are a few others around. But yeah, vBulletin is still pretty popular.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:40 pm

Looking at the database, seems I've been behind on hashes implemented, and md5 has been deprecated for some time. They switched to bcrypt (hash prefix $2y$10) for a bit, then Argon2id (hash prefix $argon2id), and, most recently, Argon2id with parameters (hash prefix $argon2id$v=19$m=1024,t=2,p=2, which means using Argon2id with 64MB of RAM (64 * 1024), 2 iterations, and implementing parallelism with 2 threads).

Short version: Password security got better, then got a lot better. To give you an idea, one of the fastest cracking rigs in the world can only attempt about 285,000 bcrypt passwords per second (this is painfully slow compared to the same system's 650 billion passwords per second for the NTLM hash used on Windows), and Argon2id is even harder to crack than bcrypt with options that can be cranked up to make it almost impossible to even run wordlists, let alone brute force.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:53 pm

Martin Blank wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:40 pm
Argon2id is even harder to crack than bcrypt with options that can be cranked up to make it almost impossible to even run wordlists, let alone brute force.
Brutal! I love it :)

Of course hopefully people are following the best practice of using unique (and randomly generated) long passwords for every site. It means you need to use some sort of password manager to keep track of it all, but hopefully if someone somehow ends up for your password for one site, they can’t use it anywhere else.