1-28-19: Orville V. Trek

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)
I like pie
Crazy Person
Omnicode: Web developer, indie game developer, writer, musician, cartoonist. I love to create.

Re: 1-28-19: Orville V. Trek

Post by I like pie » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:55 am

Even mass and blatant IP reuse though isn't new or specific to us. See The Nutty Professor from 96/63, Ocean's 11 from 01/60, etc. Scarface from 36 years ago was reusing IP from 51 years before itself. :?

I don't think it's a "these days" thing so much as the internet has made it easier to spot and criticize. I'd bet that most stuff we get is actually new IP, it just doesn't get as popular as familiar stories.
"It's like Garr and Andre 3000 of Outkast had a child!" -- StruckingFuggle p339018

Review Real Life Comics!

werefrog
Crazy Person

Post by werefrog » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:38 am

Yeah, except CW is just rehashing their old stuff now. We have a remake of Roswell and Charmed now. At least Riverdale was a new take on the cahracters; a take The Werefrog didn't care to watch, but it was new.
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:20 pm

It seems like it's a far larger percentage of the overall entertainment available in my time period. Aside from Scarface, you're also pointing out remade movies targeted at my generation, which only strengthens my point.
I'm putting my talents and skills to use for a business so that I receive compensatory funds that I may then choose to spend and invest and save as I see fit. If I choose to blow it all on hookers and Dr. Seuss books, I don't see how that means you owe me a comfortable retirement. - Deacon

I like pie
Crazy Person
Omnicode: Web developer, indie game developer, writer, musician, cartoonist. I love to create.

Post by I like pie » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:00 pm

I guess it's not clear then what you mean by "most of the stuff we get these days". If The Nutty Professor remake from 23 years ago counts, then sure.

I would be curious to see data behind this though. To your point, the percentage or even frequency has got to be changing one way or another.
"It's like Garr and Andre 3000 of Outkast had a child!" -- StruckingFuggle p339018

Review Real Life Comics!