Making the move to NYC!

Talk about whatever you feel like.
volebagels
Crazy Person

Making the move to NYC!

Post by volebagels » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:56 pm

So I've got a job in the Big Apple! But while that's awesome, the problem is sorting out an apartment :/ :/ I'm bringing a lot of stuff with me (probably too much) and unsure if I'll be able to fit it all in. What do people make of storage facilities to hold things while I go apartment hunting? Are they trustworthy/affordable?

Any amazing tips for living in NYC would also be appreciated :)

Checked this forum from time to time, but nice to finally be a member :D

Stephen

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Re: Making the move to NYC!

Post by Rorschach » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:38 am

Welcome!
I live just outside of Glasgow but if movies and television have taught me anything, it’s that’s New Yorkers play outdoor chess with elderly Jewish gentlemen and that everyone is sassy, tough, and acerbic.
Good luck with the move.
To Let

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:13 pm

Lived in NYC (Brooklyn) since 2001 for the most part. Storage in NYC is fine, but expensive. Probably cheaper to store where you are and move it when you're ready. Here's how to be a pro at NYC living.

* Don't live in Manhattan. It's super expensive and shitty.
* There is so much FREE touristy stuff to do, don't open your wallet the first year you're here.
* Go to the Met. A lot. Pay as little as like.
* If somebody asks how long you've lived in the city, they're probably a douche.
* If your bartender calls himself a mixologist, he is allowed 2 of the 3: bowtie, suspenders, mustache. If he has all 3, exit immediately.
* No, the wild-eyed stranger is not trying to get home and just needs a few bucks for the bus.
* If a college kid standing on the sidewalk asks you if care about the environment, say "nope" and keep moving.
* If some Hasidics ask you if you're Jewish, say yes. See how long you can fake it. They're pretty nice about it.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:53 pm

That list seems perfect.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:09 am

To add to the list:

1) DO NOT buy pizza from chains. You haven't had real pizza until you've had it at your local pizzaria.
2) Forget driving and just get yourself a Metro Card for the subway.
3) The Chinatowns in Manhattan and in Flushing are your friends when it come to Chinese food.
4) The unofficial breakfast is a taylor ham, egg, and cheese on a bagel.
5) If you find yourself in Manhattan, the closer your are to Time Square the more you're expected to keep walking. Stop in the middle of the sidewalk at your own peril.
6) Don't underestimate the old men playing chess in Washington Square park, some of them are actual grandmasters.

Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:06 pm

Seir wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:09 am
6) Don't underestimate the old men playing chess in Washington Square park, some of them are actual grandmasters.
Not quite- they're mostly solid, a good estimate is 1800-2000. But they have a lot of tricks up their sleeve: broken clocks that favor them, bishops that swap colors, and teleporting knights. And if they lose, they're probably not going to pay you $5 anyway. Some are very nice when they aren't hustling tourists. Some are legit nuts.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:09 am

Seir wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:09 am
the closer your are to Time Square
I’ll chalk that up to a typo.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

volebagels
Crazy Person

Post by volebagels » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:52 am

Thanks for all the solid tips :) Will move in 2 weeks, so I've nearly got everything sorted... I've decided to put a bunch of stuff in storage, as I want to hold on to some things, but will be living in a shared apartment for the first year or so. When this company says that they will pick up my stuff and drop it off to the storage facility, think that's safer than self-storage? E.g. Less things can go wrong? Should only need to store it for a while, as won't be a long-term solution.