Video game violence superstition

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Video game violence superstition

Post by Deacon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Arres, I think a simpler way to sum it up is to say that feminists appear to have an inferiority complex and are bitter that Darwin has handed them a mild case of sexual dimorphism (or in denial of it altogether), so they fold their arms and scowl when video game writers set up a game around a plot line that involves a hero, a villain, and a damsel in distress. They complain that it's lazy and derivative, which if they were more familiar with writing they would realize is a meaningless accusation. They suggest that games featuring heavily clothed female warriors will be just as successful as the more common hot male warriors or skimpily clad female leads, and that it's only misogyny that prevents more games from being made that way. Everyone, male or female, of any age, who has not made feminism their life's crusade shrug and go back to enjoying badass games and passing over crappy ones.
Arres wrote:*Side note: Deacon, you're starting to sound like a confirmed Bachelor. I hope you have nephews and nieces you can lavish insanely awesome uncle affection on.
Haha, I'm not really sure what prompted that comment or what you mean by it.

EDIT: Gowerly, I'm not sure anyone out there wants to play fat chicks. At least, there's no one out there who'll pass on a game because the lead character they control isn't a fat chick. Women tend to be either lithe and graceful, (whether long-limbed or petite), or fairly tall and muscular. In some cases (e.g. female dwarf in WoW) they could be described as stout, but that's an exception. Men with rare exception have low body fat, whether lithe and lean or even more commonly stacked and jacked. People complain that make-believe children's toys like Barbie sets an unrealistic standard of beauty, but when was the last time you looked at He-Man, whose standard setting properties are right there in the name?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:59 pm

Lara’s combined independence, strength, intelligence make her a great role model. She can speak several languages. She knows how to use more weapons than most military personnel. She was born with a silver spoon in her mouth and walked away from it all, only to prove her mettle with survival. She authored several books based on the skills earned hard. What’s not to love?...

But wait – what about the physical proportions that spurred both controversy and infamy? They seem to fly in the face of the original designer’s intent.

A simple design fluke and marketing are afoot here. When Gard accidentally increased her breast size by 150 percent, the creative team insisted it was maintained.
Ha ha ha. Who'd have known?

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/tomb-r ... ging-look/
To Let

Healer24
Redshirt

Post by Healer24 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:53 pm

Deacon wrote:Everyone, male or female, of any age, who has not made feminism their life's crusade shrug and go back to enjoying badass games and passing over crappy ones.
This has been my personal experience. My older sister plays Civilization and Skyrim. My younger sister plays Lego Harry Potter, Assassin's Creed, and Star Wars The Old Republic among others. Neither complains about sexism in video games. They just play ones they like.
EDIT: Gowerly, I'm not sure anyone out there wants to play fat chicks. At least, there's no one out there who'll pass on a game because the lead character they control isn't a fat chick. Women tend to be either lithe and graceful, (whether long-limbed or petite), or fairly tall and muscular. In some cases (e.g. female dwarf in WoW) they could be described as stout, but that's an exception. Men with rare exception have low body fat, whether lithe and lean or even more commonly stacked and jacked.
Off the top of my head I can't think of any video game protagonist that has an excess of body fat. Tall, short, wide, skinny, muscular, lithe, but never fat. Which I guess makes sense given the amount of physical activity we put a typical video game character through.
"He was a genius - that is to say, a man who does superlatively and without obvious effort something that most people cannot do by the uttermost exertion of their abilities." - Robertson Davies

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:43 pm

Rorschach wrote:Image
Disgusting. She's too pretty and isn't covered from chin to ankles and wrists, so you are objectifying her.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:57 pm

Deacon wrote:Haha, I'm not really sure what prompted that comment or what you mean by it.
This.
Deacon wrote:Yes they should have children or pets instead. Women aren't worth fighting for.
What I mean is, if you're a confirmed bachelor, you're not likely to have children. Those dudes make AWESOME uncles. Usually financially successful, have plenty of child affection to spare, and all kinds of crazy stories (like from their world travels).
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:56 pm

I was being heavily sarcastic. I wrote more, but I don't feel like getting that personal right now.

FireAza
Redshirt

Post by FireAza » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:36 am

ampersand wrote:I think the media should focus more on the ways that female characters are treated like objects in games, you know, the whole Damsel in Distress trope I see get railed against on Tumblr.
Oh god no. That discussion has been discussed to death over the months since the Tropes vs Woman and Dragon's Crown controversies. While I'm all for the advancement of video games as an artform, I'm really sick of seeing the same topic with the same talking points going around and around. Last thing we need it for the media to also get in on the party.
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:26 pm

I say we turn it around. Maybe if we play the same game people will realize how stupid this all is.

Kid gets caught stealing? Learned it from Wall Street!

Kid gets caught lying? Well where do you think she learned to do that, mister president? Hmm?

Little Billy went to college and maxed out his credit cards? Well what do you expect? He watches the news! Congress influenced him!

Joey tried to pass off his neighbor's work as his own? Well Bill Gates has some explaining to do then, doesn't he?

After all, reality's more brutal than a GTA game could ever be.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:40 pm

I like it. I'm behind it 100%.