Youtube creativity

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Healer24
Redshirt

Youtube creativity

Post by Healer24 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:56 pm

I listen to a lot of music on youtube, and I'm sometimes astounded by the creativity of people on there. For example some of you may remember Rihanna releasing a song called "We Found Love". I didn't really care for it, but it spawned dozens of covers in a variety of styles many of which I did like. There was rock, orchestral pop, Africanized violin, and more.

That's just music. There're also people putting out lightsaber duels that are arguably better than any in the actual Star Wars movies. There's more that I think is awesome on youtube, but I think that's enough links for now. This is something that didn't even exist a decade ago, and there's so much awesome on it. Is anyone else simply amazed by all the coolness out there now? What videos have you seen that kind of just blow your mind?
"He was a genius - that is to say, a man who does superlatively and without obvious effort something that most people cannot do by the uttermost exertion of their abilities." - Robertson Davies

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Youtube creativity

Post by Deacon » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Technology makes possible what few could do before and then gives us the ability to easily share the results with the world. It's a good thing, I think. It doesn't make us better or worse, but rather allows us to view with a brighter light what we already are.

That said, this kind of shit after having to sit through an ad makes me want to punch someone:

The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Healer24
Redshirt

Post by Healer24 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:44 pm

Deacon wrote:That said, this kind of shit after having to sit through an ad makes me want to punch someone
Yeah, two things essential to youtube happiness: an adblocker and turning off the annotations.
"He was a genius - that is to say, a man who does superlatively and without obvious effort something that most people cannot do by the uttermost exertion of their abilities." - Robertson Davies

BtEO
Redshirt

Post by BtEO » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:24 am

I barely watch regular television. But I watch quite a few shows on YouTube.
Healer24 wrote:I listen to a lot of music on youtube, and I'm sometimes astounded by the creativity of people on there. For example some of you may remember Rihanna releasing a song called "We Found Love". I didn't really care for it, but it spawned dozens of covers in a variety of styles many of which I did like. There was rock, orchestral pop, Africanized violin, and more.
I knew what that third link would be without clicking. I absolutely love her stuff. Her Zelda and Skyrim (with Peter Hollins, who's also pretty good) covers are pretty good casual intros to her work.
[youtube]b3KUyPKbR7Q[/youtube]
[youtube]BSLPH9d-jsI[/youtube]
But she also does good original music too — good enough that second of these was in the top 10 views for 2012
[youtube]vxIOUJ7by6U[/youtube]
[youtube]aHjpOzsQ9YI[/youtube]
(Though somewhat overshadowed in that year by Gangnam Style.)

She got to reuse the Link costume too thanks to Freddie Wong, who does an excellent line in special effects videos on a variety of themes:
[youtube]dXmMQJMFL_I[/youtube]
Healer24 wrote:That's just music. There're also people putting out lightsaber duels that are arguably better than any in the actual Star Wars movies. There's more that I think is awesome on youtube, but I think that's enough links for now. This is something that didn't even exist a decade ago, and there's so much awesome on it. Is anyone else simply amazed by all the coolness out there now? What videos have you seen that kind of just blow your mind?
Ryan vs. Dorkman predates YouTube and is actually just over a decade old at this point. But at the time they were at the head of what was being done with home special effects.
Three in the Afternoon was another good lightsaber video I found around the same time I originally discovered RvD
[youtube]h8Sx3HbaNRs[/youtube]
And there's the sequel, Six in the Morning
[youtube]nfUgbkXHTXM[/youtube]
[youtube]N0a5vA-WCfk[/youtube]

In terms of content not directly related to your post some other channels I follow include Day[9] (mostly for his "Funday Monday" videos) and HuskyStarcraft (Thanks to Deacon I believe for linking one of his videos back in the beta days for Wings of Liberty) for StarCraft II related commentary. Mostly I prefer the less serious casts, so Funday Monday on the Day[9] side and Bronze League Heroes/Imba League on the Husky side.

TheFineBros put out a lot of good stuff, but I especially like their react series where they show various viral videos to groups of people to get their reactions. They started with Kids React, but now there's also Teens React, Elders React, and Youtubers React.

Felicia Day's channel Geek & Sundry needs a mention too. Current favourites for me there are TableTop (naturally) and Co-Optitude. Their Vlogs is also likely to have at least a few topics to interest you.

I'll leave it there for the time being. But a lot of the people creating high-level content for YouTube love collaborations, so if you're watching one or two channels you may well quickly find several more just from guest appearances.