Grindhouse movies

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Grindhouse movies

Post by Rorschach » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:27 pm

I watched The Man with the Iron Fists the other day. It was crap, frankly, and if you've seen it you'll already know this.

What surprised and continues to surprise me about films like this one and other in the 'Grindhouse' genre - some notably bad movies I've seen recently including Machete and some of Planet Terror before I switched it off - is that they are not judged like other movies in terms of production values, editing, scripts, direction and acting. No, you see: as they are homages to bad movies they themselves are deliberately bad.

Just having a look at imdb.com, you come across a lot of 'Actually, RZA was acting like he couldn't act because so many people in these Chop Suey movies couldn't act in the seventies' style excuses. What a fantastic cop-out: the rest of us have really been missing a trick over the years.

What do you think?
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Grindhouse movies

Post by Deacon » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Being ironically bad at your job has been a thing in creative circles since forever. You think the Sex Pistols were actually capable of and had accomplished intricate compositions?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:28 pm

I don't think the Sex Pistols were lovingly recreating a shit sound, rather than ostensibly rebelling against what they perceived to be a more staid and button-down musical era (i.e. one containing songs you might want to hear). I think they were just shit.

In the same way that I don't think RZA could have upped his chops, I don't think they could have stepped out of their three chord comfort zone.
To Let

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:35 pm

To be fair, I did like some of Johnny Rotten's stuff when he was fronting Public Image Limited.

[youtube]zN-GGeNPQEg[/youtube]

As for your original question, I really don't think you have to be bad in order to pay homage to the bad parts of your original material. Galaxy Quest manages to be a good sci-fi film in its own right while still poking fun at the cheesy parts of the original Star Trek and Trekkie fandom.
Last edited by Seir on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Yeah, that is much better. Anyway, he went on to do the much more sensible thing and sold out.

[youtube]7mSE-Iy_tFY[/youtube]
To Let

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:41 pm

He did use the money from those butter commercials to fun the PIL reunion tour.
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:11 pm

That music video is poised for parody by Craig Ferguson like nothing I've ever seen.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:32 am

Seir wrote: As for your original question, I really don't think you have to be bad in order to pay homage to the bad parts of your original material. Galaxy Quest manages to be a good sci-fi film in its own right while still poking fun at the cheesy parts of the original Star Trek and Trekkie fandom.
Yeah, that's a good example. I don't like the assumption that to enjoy these kinds of movies, one must be a fan of their predecessors.

I'm not a fan of Star Trek by any manner of means but I thoroughly enjoyed both Galaxy Quest and the reboot movie.
To Let

ampersand
Redshirt

Grindhouse movies

Post by ampersand » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:49 am

Just putting it out there: apparently a movie about evil squirrels is in production. With evil sheep as a sidekick.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:46 pm

Here's the trailer: A cautionary tail.
To Let