The Long Winters

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Dreamer
Redshirt

The Long Winters

Post by Dreamer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:55 pm

can I just say, I f*cking LOVE The Long Winters.

Anyone else like this group? I mean, I get that he/they haven't put out an album since 2006. And I'm not going to pretend I listened to them then.

But I love this band. and I love John Roderick's style.

Any other fans?
My sig would have contained the secret of life, but I'd already clicked submit.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

The Long Winters

Post by Deacon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:35 pm

Never heard of them, I don't think. Seed the fertile ground by linking some YouTube clips or something :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Dreamer
Redshirt

Re: The Long Winters

Post by Dreamer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:47 pm

Good idea. Be warned, this is indie rock. I totally get that some people aren't into that.

(1) Here's a great one.
Cinnamon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fF-qSchZho

(2) One of my favorites.
Hingsight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxOK66yh6HQ

(3) And, fun story (IMO) behind this last one.

We (my g/f and I) saw John Roderick (the musician behind The Long Winters) open for Jonathan Coulton back in November here in Austin. Great show. But after it was done my g/f went to the restroom and shortly thereafter John Roderick came out from backstage to get to the front and peddle his wares. I didn't expect to see him; I wasn't waiting there just for that, but I grabbed his hand and said I was a fan and would be please say hi to my g/f (she introduced me to his music, after all) as she was just one her way out of the restroom.
Great timing. I introduced them and, flustered as she was, she reacted perfectly. She asked him if he could please sing the chorus to Ultimatum for her. He said "I'm not sure that song has a chorus." She quickly sang "My arms miss you, my hands miss you. . ." And, the awesome guy that he is, he leaned over and sang it into her ear. He's just a really great guy. Love that story.

Anyway, here's that song:
Ultimatum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMf6ksn1vjk

Deacon
Shining Adonis

The Long Winters

Post by Deacon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:44 pm

And then he and your girlfriend had 10 kids and lived happily every after? ;)

That first one was alright, not my preference in song structures, sounded kind of half baked. The second (and third) ones reminded me of what would have happened if Zach Braff had asked Adam Duritz to compose a song for the Garden State soundtrack. There's a heavy Counting Crows influence mixed with fairly normalized indie folk pop. I like it. I don't know that I would listen to it on a loop, but I would not be disappointed to hear it come on the radio. That last one especially is very nice.

I'm guessing John Roderick and Alexi Murdoch would get along just fine.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Dreamer
Redshirt

Post by Dreamer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:52 pm

Funny you say that.
Ever listen to a song and just start thinking of what the movie would be like if it were in the sound track? I always picture Garden State. Especially with this one particular song, Delicate Hands.
That said, I agree 100% with your Alexi Murdoch comparison. But I have to say, I really dug Colin Hay's contribution.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this one particular song (below) isn't on the GS sound track. It's in the movie, but not on the score. . .

Garden State's a top favorite movie of mine. It's really something else you made the Alexi Murdoch conenction.

Anyway, for a little Colin Hay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4tcRlHY-3Q

And here's the version used in Scrubs. To make it more awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSMITAolIGc

And for the uninitiated, yes, that's the guy from Men at Work. :) A vastly underappreciated musician/songwriter.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:53 pm

For my money, Scrubs remains one of the best...dramadies? What you would you call it? Regardless, one of the best shows in television history. Colin Hay's participation was just a bonus.

One we should all remember:

[youtube]RZ45xrtNnzk[/youtube]

Dreamer
Redshirt

Post by Dreamer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Same Episode! And I agree completely.
Scrubs is one of those shows that just sort of sneaks up on you.
You're laughing away and then, BAM. Poignancy.