hey nerds! ps3?

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

hey nerds! ps3?

Post by Rorschach » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:07 pm

My original fat PS3 is giving up the ghost. It's had the yellow light if death before, I spent sixty bucks getting it repaired, and now it sounds like a lawnmower when I play Tomb Raider.

Is a fifty quid difference between the 12GB and 500GB a no brainer? Or is this extra capacity used only for storing tweets and has nothing to do with gaming and DVD/BluRays; which are all I need it for?

Thank you
To Let

FireAza
Redshirt

Re: hey nerds! ps3?

Post by FireAza » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:12 am

Sounds to me like you need to take the console back to the guy who fixed it, seems like he broke the fan or something. Yellow light of death PS3 are suppose to be pretty fixable, don't just toss it out.

The PS3 uses it's hard drive space for whatever you want to use it for. That could be for game saves, downloaded games, downloaded videos, recorded videos etc. If you're just running disk-based games and playing Blurays, it's probably a waste to get one with a larger HDD. Anyway, the PS3 uses a standard laptop style HDD, so you can upgrade it if you want.
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:04 am

It's now beyond the repair's guarantee.

I've decided just to keep playing it, noisy or not, until it dies. It's really only Tomb Raider it happens with. Maybe I'll finish it before it goes.
To Let

Sir Spankspeople
Redshirt

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:35 am

Don't most PS3 games install to the hard disk somewhat? My wife has a... 80GB, I think, with a couple of games downloaded and she didn't even have enough room for system updates at one point.

She doesn't download much, so I assume it was all game related.

And if there is an option to install Tomb Raider to the hard drive entirely, that should cut down on disc drive noise.

ALSO you can just get the cheaper one and move the drive from your current system over. That's what I did when swapping my old white 360 for a new slim one, and the PS3 won't even need a special enclosure for the drive!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
In vino veritas
In aqua sanitas

Gowerlypuff
Redshirt

Post by Gowerlypuff » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:18 pm

If you use PS+ and download your games, then the extra space.
Outside of that you just need to look at the games you have on your PS3 and check the required space on the box.
There was a limit of 5GB per title but I think that was most waived requirement Sony had.
However, each game that comes with an installed part is required to put the space that the game uses (Which includes trophies and save games as well as any installed data) on the box, so you should be able to see how much your games library will use on your PS3.
Sloth: Am I a year behind already?
February was some lyrics or quotes month or something. I don't even remember what year all this was.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Surprisingly. it all worked out alright in the end. Maybe it was the heatwave the UK has been enjoying for the past few weeks, but I managed to complete the game without anything exploding and with a definite change in whirr once the weather had broken.

Thank you for your advice anyway. Feel free to curse me for wasting your time.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:25 pm

Shove your shriveled haggis into the fan grate, tell us what noise it makes.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:54 pm

Rasism.
To Let

Dreamer
Redshirt

Post by Dreamer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:34 pm

What's a quid? Like, 14 cents?
Oh, I'm sorry. Pence.
/offensive fake accent
My sig would have contained the secret of life, but I'd already clicked submit.

FireAza
Redshirt

Post by FireAza » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:08 pm

Rorschach wrote:Surprisingly. it all worked out alright in the end. Maybe it was the heatwave the UK has been enjoying for the past few weeks, but I managed to complete the game without anything exploding and with a definite change in whirr once the weather had broken.

Thank you for your advice anyway. Feel free to curse me for wasting your time.
Thermal expansion may have contributed to your problem being resolved. To be specific, thermal expansion due to the heat wave, not the kind normally associated with Tomb Raider.
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba