Launching Kerbals

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
The Cid
Redshirt

Launching Kerbals

Post by The Cid » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:54 pm

I've really been getting into Kerbal Space Program over the past few weeks. The whole point of the game is to launch little green astronauts (Kerbals) into varying levels of space. You can orbit the planet, land on the moon, set up a space station, travel to other planets, and enjoy the view in between. Only a couple of catches. You have to assemble rockets to make these things possible, and you have to actually fly them up there.

It is a game where you can feel intense pride when you land a pair of kerbals on the moon, only to realize that you A) forgot to put a docking module on the rocket that's supposed to bring them back, and B) that doesn't much matter because you're out of fuel, so if you want those guys to come home you're going to need to build a rocket to go to the moon and get them. It's challenging, frustrating, and a lot of fun.

Anyone else ever give Kerbal Space Program a shot?
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Re: Launching Kerbals

Post by Martin Blank » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:45 pm

I keep seeing it on the Steam games pages, but I haven't been sure about whether to go after it. I have a lot of other games built up as it is. How long is a typical play session for you?
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:59 pm

1-3 hours, usually. Everything picks up where you left it (provided you save frequently during rocket building), so you can just do one thing and leave matters to resume when you return.

Once you launch, a mission usually doesn't take much longer than two hours, but since the game autosaves during missions you can leave things unfinished and pick up where you left off when you return.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:05 pm

I just looked at one of the trailers that demonstrates gameplay. It looks like they've tried to put some reality into the physics with control systems going awry and orbital mechanics at stake. That could make it very interesting.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:21 am

It is. Interesting, and incredibly difficult. The key is not to grow at all attached to the Kerbals. Don't even learn the little names they put under their pictures. You want them to be as expendable as possible.

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:45 am

[youtube]jG3x3yBVqVs[/youtube]
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

TheUnpredictable
Redshirt

Post by TheUnpredictable » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:04 pm

Well I´ve never played it before but since you´re all talking about it, I might give it a shot. Sounds like my kind of game.

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:46 am

Just picked it up last night thanks to the Steam Summer sale. Having fun designing the most phallic rockets I can imagine and shooting their (pay)load into space.
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:05 am

Sorry to go OT, but every time I see this thread I think of someone kicking my dog.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Launching Kerbals

Post by Deacon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:26 pm

Heh, classic Jerky Boys.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922