Anyone else play golf?

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
The Cid
Redshirt

Anyone else play golf?

Post by The Cid » Fri May 31, 2013 11:11 pm

For a slight change-up, I've decided to start a thread about participating in sports rather than sitting on our asses and watching them.

I love golf. I've played since I was seven. Never got an official handicap, but my average is somewhere around 90, so I guess I'd be an 18 handicap. I wondered if anybody else plays and had anything interesting to share.

Soon I will upload some pictures. Because I played today. I played exceedingly well today, actually, shooting a generous (read: with like four mulligans) 79. The course was gorgeous and in wonderful condition (and empty, because 93 degrees is unbearably hot to most people around here), so I pulled out my camera.

Anyone else have anything golf-related to contribute?
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Anyone else play golf?

Post by Deacon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:16 am

I have never played a round of golf in my life :/
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Re: Anyone else play golf?

Post by The Cid » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:52 pm

Good. Cool. Thanks for posting to say that. Really gets a discussion going.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Anyone else play golf?

Post by Deacon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:26 pm

I didn't have time to lament it at that moment.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:15 pm

Deacon's too busy trying to figure out how to fit in another Jeep into his garage to play golf. The closest I've come to playing golf is miniature golf and frisee bee golf. This would be like Deacon putting up a hunting threat and you stating you don't know which end of the gun is which. (Well, at least I wouldn't know...) There's no shame in that.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:19 pm

ampersand wrote:This would be like Deacon putting up a hunting threat and you stating you don't know which end of the gun is which.
You're right, that would be an asshole thing to do. This is why I don't go into threads about things I don't care about just to announce that I don't care about them.

Sheesh. Sorry for trying to get a discussion going. And here I thought the forums were having activity problems.
ampersand wrote:The closest I've come to playing golf is miniature golf and frisee bee golf.
In the interest of "God forbid anyone actually talk about golf but at least let's get a discussion going," Um...frisee bee?

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Anyone else play golf?

Post by Deacon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:33 pm

I think you may have wildly misinterpreted the tone and intent of my posts, Cid. I'm sorry if you think I was trying to be an asshole.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:31 pm

I just don't understand what, if anything, I was supposed to do with such a comment as:
Deacon wrote:I have never played a round of golf in my life :/
This is a vague statement that seems to dismiss the thread entirely. It's not like you had a question or a comment with it, just declaring this thread isn't your thing. When people do this it seems to me like they're just pissing on the thread because they have no use for it personally.

But okay, let's go with it.

So are you looking for a list of reasons I enjoy golf? Perhaps some advice about a starting-off point that wouldn't be so frustrating as to make you quit before you start? Maybe you have a negative view of the game in general, which a lot of people seem to. I'm all ears, where do you want to go with this?

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:39 pm

I read it as 'I regret that I've never played golf'. At least that's what the smiley suggested to me.

Anyway, knock off the emo and just fuck, why don't you both?

I've dabbled in golf. There was a point in my tweens when it had a real popularity boom in my area and people of all stripes were heading down to the driving range but few kept at it seriously.

To me, golf isn't a casual pasttime. It's something that you have to sink an awful lot of money and time into and it's for that reason, I think, that it's popularity waned somewhat and we all started hanging about in snooker halls instead. At least, until yo-yos came back in.

I wouldn't say golf is a lifestyle choice. But it's not far off, I think.
To Let

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:28 pm

Rorschach wrote:Anyway, knock off the emo and just fuck, why don't you both?
I'd like to think we both know better than to go on without you, Rorschach.
Rorschach wrote:I wouldn't say golf is a lifestyle choice. But it's not far off, I think.
There's some truth to this. Golf has its own little world, complete with thick layers of jargon, a strict code of etiquette (yet nobody but yourself to enforce a single rule), a hierarchy (from guys on tour to club pros to people with handicaps in order of how low to casual golfers, which do exist but are increasingly rare), and lots of tradition (golf being considerably older than the country in which I live).