Mad Men - Season 6

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
The Cid
Redshirt

Mad Men - Season 6

Post by The Cid » Wed May 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Picking up eight episodes in. Really, I wanted to post this so I could link to this clip (kinda spoilers, but not really), and to see if anybody else watches this show. But mostly for that clip, because it and the entire sequence that led up to it had me in stitches. Any time drugs find their way into the office, that's a great episode of television.

If so, you might be having the same problem I'm having: none of my friends watch this show. For a show that is as talked-about as Mad Men, you'd think people would actually watch it, but apparently not.

The subtle humor in this season is really standing out. Mad Men has always had a strange sense of humor, but when one character is fantasizing another character in bed reading "Something by Ralph Waldo Emerson," that's a great touch.

I also like the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants office drama that the entire series has cultivated, in part because in the time span during which the show has aired I have been going through hectic career moves of my own. So I appreciate how quickly the office tends to change on the show and I can kind of relate to that.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Mad Men - Season 6

Post by Deacon » Wed May 22, 2013 2:43 pm

I saw the first couple of seasons but fell off...
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri May 24, 2013 11:48 am

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same. I know it's the standard criticism the show gets and it's more about the visuals and nuances but nothing actually seems to happen.
To Let

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri May 24, 2013 1:16 pm

No, I think that's the norm. Even as someone who really likes the show I'll admit that one of the big ongoing mysteries of the show is "I wonder what the point to all of this is."
Spoiler: (click to reveal/hide)
Well, okay, the point beyond "all the women on this show are hypnotically beautiful and if I support this then they get to remain on television." If I had to guess the big point Mad Men is trying to convey, I'd go with how easy it is for a person to become something they hate. A few seasons ago, Don Draper walked up to Roger Sterling and called him a fool. Ever since then, Don has been basically turning into the person he called a fool--he and his wife divorced, his alcoholism is much more visible with every passing year, and Peggy is quickly shaping up as someone who can take his spot. "You're born alone and you die alone and the world just drops a bunch of rules on you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget." Five seasons later, he seems to be forgetting.
Rorschach wrote:nothing actually seems to happen.
It helps that I've worked in marketing enough that I can relate to what some of the characters do. (Except that my clients aren't insane, the scene I linked at the beginning of this thread could potentially sum up my job.) This especially helps in scenes and episodes that focus on the rank-and-file people who work for the ad agency, and it also made early season Don Draper look like an office superhero. ("Oh God, to be able to talk to a client like that, just once and get away with it.")

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri May 24, 2013 2:12 pm

I've actually really enjoyed the one or two times that the team have puzzled over some slogan only to come up with something brilliant - I think this happens in S1E1 - but doesn't happen enough.

There's probably a reason for this. I suppose if the script-writers were coming up with fantastic slogans for real companies, they could sell them to real companies.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri May 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Love that clip.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri May 24, 2013 2:48 pm

Rorschach wrote:I suppose if the script-writers were coming up with fantastic slogans for real companies, they could sell them to real companies.
The slogan used in S1E1 was an actual slogan for an actual brand of cigarettes, though. The writers didn't come up with that, they just built a little speech around it. But no, that was a real thing that really happened.

In fact, a lot of the ad campaigns from the show are based on real ad campaigns. Not all of them, however.

The reason the writing scenes are so good is kind of obvious to me: It's writers describing what writers do. It's the same reason 30 Rock seemed so effortless at delivering its brand of comedy. It's the ultimate example of "write what you know." If the plot of a given episode of Mad Men is the copywriters trying to craft a pitch for Don to deliver to the client, well, that's what the writing staff on the show does too.
Deacon wrote:Love that clip.
It's a perfect description of account management, isn't it?

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Sun May 26, 2013 4:10 pm

This has to be one of my favorite covers:

[youtube]yXoILGnHnvM[/youtube]
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed May 29, 2013 12:39 pm

It's not a show to watch if you're trying to give up smoking.

Just saying.
To Let