Doctor Who - The Name of the Doctor - 5/18/2013 (Finale!)

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Sat May 18, 2013 11:33 pm

We finally get the scene of the Doctor stealing the TARDIS and an explanation as to why he was able to steal it!

Holy Shit! Clara being Forrest Gumpted into encountering the previous Doctors! I'd also like to add that I love Strax the Sontarian Nurse. And it seems that Glasgow is a choice location for vacationing Sonatrians.

Loved the mentioning of The Valeyard. Something that I thought they'd never address in the new series.

For a minute I thought that Clara might've joined the ranks of Katarina, Sarah Kingdom, and Adric.

Then...John Hurt..woah.

I don't think I can wait until November. On the bright side, at least it comes three days after my birthday.
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: Doctor Who - The Name of the Doctor - 5/18/2013 (Finale!

Post by Rorschach » Mon May 20, 2013 11:16 am

Holy shit! I didn't see that ending coming at all. What a coup that is for the Beeb.

My immediate first reaction was that
Spoiler: (click to reveal/hide)
Hurt is going to be The Doctor come November
but it's not as simple as that, according to nerds on imdb. In saying that, I didn't understand so much of this episode that I'm not really sure what to think.
Matt Smith is out of contract apparently - come November...I did say at the time though that I wasn't against the idea of an older Doctor and even a companion that doesn't look like a model.
I'm increasingly of the opinion that understanding Dr Who takes more reviewings and attention than I'm able to give it.
To Let

lifedeath
Redshirt

Post by lifedeath » Mon May 20, 2013 9:41 pm

Nice to know I am not the only one. :P
Just sat and saw all the last 5 episodes and I am so puzzled and confused. I feel like everything, all the information are right in front of my face and then boom, I am not sure what is happening.
The same thing I felt with almost any ending of the 11 doctor.
Also, I was sure that John Hurt would be the next one, but (un)fortunately some spoilers are over the internet for the 50th anniversary. Kind of like it also if they go that way I guess....
So confused.

Lastly.
I tend to love the series of the 11th doctor, although the Clara episodes have been somewhat easy on their resolutions I believe, but also, we get so many answestions and I am boggled. I wonder if it would be nice if Clara stayed a mystery for at least one more year. So soon?

Ok, ok, last one.
Even if I am standing off my seat with Moffat ideas...at the same time I cannot forget that River (love her by the way, always will) and now Clara (not sure I like her...too little episodes) are such large strong columns in the whole history of the Doctor.
I can't silence that voice telling me… fanfic :P.
Give Life a real.....

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Tue May 21, 2013 2:30 am

Rorschach wrote:Holy shit! I didn't see that ending coming at all. What a coup that is for the Beeb.

My immediate first reaction was that
Hurt is going to be The Doctor come November
but it's not as simple as that, according to nerds on imdb. In saying that, I didn't understand so much of this episode that I'm not really sure what to think.
Matt Smith is out of contract apparently - come November...I did say at the time though that I wasn't against the idea of an older Doctor and even a companion that doesn't look like a model.
I'm increasingly of the opinion that understanding Dr Who takes more reviewings and attention than I'm able to give it.
With the way the 11th Doctor spoke to John Hurt, it seems that he's a past incarnation. How, you might ask? Well, just remember that "The Doctor" is a title whose ideals need to be kept true to. Remember in "The Beast Below" how 11th right just as he was about to lobotomize the Space Whale said, "After this I'm going to have to find a new name because I won't be able to call myself 'The Doctor' anymore."?

What I'm getting from all that is that John Hurt is a past life, however, he must've crossed a line which lost him the right to call himself "The Doctor."
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue May 21, 2013 5:14 am

Seir wrote:We finally get the scene of the Doctor stealing the TARDIS and an explanation as to why he was able to steal it!
What? Did I miss that somehow?

I feel like having started with the Eccleston version from 2005 that there's a lot of older backstory I'm missing. Otherwise I'm just clearly an idiot because I have no idea what's going on...
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Tue May 21, 2013 5:35 am

It was in the pre-credits sequence, right at the beginning, with the two technicians. No one was guarding the TARDIS because it was faulty and in the repair shop.

EDIT: One of the best things about classic Doctor Who is that you can pick up just about any episode and watch. Although I personally would recommend seeing "Genesis of the Daleks" (Fourth Doctor) and "The War Games" (Second Doctor).

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Tue May 21, 2013 8:04 am

Faulty and in repairs? Sounds like what happened today when I took my car in to get an oil change and $200 later, it was an oil change and changing the main serpentine belt. *shakes fist*

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue May 21, 2013 9:34 am

ampersand wrote:Faulty and in repairs? Sounds like what happened today when I took my car in to get an oil change and $200 later, it was an oil change and changing the main serpentine belt. *shakes fist*
"Ooft. Looks like your Chameleon Circuit's gone, guv. That's not gonna be cheap."
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue May 21, 2013 2:10 pm

Seir wrote:It was in the pre-credits sequence, right at the beginning, with the two technicians. No one was guarding the TARDIS because it was faulty and in the repair shop.
I'll have to go look at that again. I guess somehow I missed it...
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Gowerlypuff
Redshirt

Post by Gowerlypuff » Wed May 22, 2013 12:57 pm

One hypothesis we had here is that it's to do with The Time War. Now that Smith is in his own timeline he can go to previously Time Locked places, such as The Time War.
6 months, though. Going to be a long wait.
Sloth: Am I a year behind already?
February was some lyrics or quotes month or something. I don't even remember what year all this was.

lifedeath
Redshirt

Post by lifedeath » Wed May 22, 2013 12:59 pm

My main question is also this though.
Was river song that appeared from inside the library, was she coming from the digital version of herself?
What do you think?
Give Life a real.....