Stanley Cup Playoffs

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
The Cid
Redshirt

Re: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post by The Cid » Tue May 28, 2013 6:03 pm

Deacon wrote:These playoff games are mostly relegated to 3rd (4th?) tier cable channels I had never even been aware existed before having to hunt for them.
It doesn't help that the channel that broadcasts most NHL playoff games (NBC Sports Network) recently changed names (formerly Versus) because Comcast owns NBC now and realized they want some of what ESPN has. Strangely enough though, the announcers that call these playoff games are on average much better than the broadcast teams for other major sports.
Deacon wrote:It turns out Americans don't have a particularly long attention span anyway, especially with great things happening in the NBA and MLB at the same time, with a little bit of European and even American pitch football bleeding into the periphery.
True, but the European season ended over the weekend, so that's one less competitor. Also, short attention spans might be hurting the NHL now, but hockey being so nonstop makes it the ideal sport for a person with a short attention span.

Really, the NHL only gets a wide American audience during the playoffs anyway. Fortunately, playoff hockey is some of the most thrilling television sports have to offer. More good news comes in the form of who (and where) the remaining teams are--popular teams in big markets are everywhere. Chicago, Boston, LA, and Detroit being alive so late in the playoffs helps ratings a great deal. Pittsburgh is also a very popular team, at least at the moment. (Translation: Not a lot of people are rooting for San Jose in the NHL offices...)
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post by Deacon » Tue May 28, 2013 7:26 pm

I was kind of under the impression that European soccer--especially in the UK--is pretty much ongoing between all the different leagues, that they don't have quite the defined seasons that most of our sports do.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue May 28, 2013 7:34 pm

The UEFA Champions League ended for the season on Saturday. The English Premier League (and German Bundesliga, not entire sure about other leagues) ended in early May and won't begin again until August. The summer is basically Europe's offseason, which is one reason the World Cup (and UEFA Euro Cup) is always a summer event.

Then again, David Mitchell provides an excellent counterpoint. "There is still everything to play for, and forever to play it in!"

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Tue May 28, 2013 7:56 pm

I would be so disappointed if tonight's Game 7 doesn't feature Wil "Horsehead" Wheaton somewhere in the stadium. Frankly this series was a tad bit disappointing in that both teams play really well at home.

Tomorrow's Game 7 is more interesting to me. You have a Detroit team who had a 3 - 1 lead and is endanger of the worst choke job since Yankees 2004. And a Chicago team that finally realized, "Oh yeah. We're the President's Cup winning #1 Seed." If Chicago lost, that would be the worst since, I don't know, Yankees 2004.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue May 28, 2013 9:54 pm

ampersand wrote:worst choke job since Yankees 2004.
ampersand wrote:If Chicago lost, that would be the worst since, I don't know, Yankees 2004.
A) Thanks for reminding me of that series. That series was awesome.
B) Not even close, dude.

For one thing, it's a shortened season, so the Blackhawks' Presidents Trophy means even less than it usually would--and teams that win that aren't exactly a lock to win the Stanley Cup these days as it is. Beyond that, Detroit's an exceptional 7 seed. But even more than that, there have been way bigger choke jobs between October 2004 and today than Detroit's current issues, such as...
-The Boston Bruins losing a series in which they were up 3-0 to the Philadelphia Flyers and had a third period lead in game seven. (2010)
-LeBron's last series with Cleveland, where he was accused of quitting in the last couple of games against the Celtics. (2010)
-The Miami Heat losing the NBA Finals to the Dallas Mavericks. (2011)
-Um...18-1. 18-1? 18-1. Undefeated Patriots team loses to Giants in Super Bowl because David Tyree caught a ball with his helmet. (2008)
-The Maple Leafs a couple of weeks ago. (2013)
-Tiger Woods crashes his car, gets his infidelity thrown in his face, and goes on a prolonged slump. (This doesn't really count but should.)

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue May 28, 2013 10:15 pm

The Cid wrote:The UEFA Champions League ended for the season on Saturday. The English Premier League (and German Bundesliga, not entire sure about other leagues) ended in early May and won't begin again until August. The summer is basically Europe's offseason, which is one reason the World Cup (and UEFA Euro Cup) is always a summer event.
Ah, that helps, thanks :)
Then again, David Mitchell provides an excellent counterpoint. "There is still everything to play for, and forever to play it in!"
That was brilliant.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue May 28, 2013 10:35 pm

I am almost incapable of thinking about that sport in any way without thinking of that video, or this one I'm sure I've posted before.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post by Deacon » Wed May 29, 2013 4:59 am

Well the NHL offices got their wish. LA Kings win game 7 to advance.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed May 29, 2013 1:58 pm

The five teams remaining as of today are the last five Stanley Cup Champions: LA, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Thu May 30, 2013 9:14 pm

And now it's Los Angeles vs. Chicago and Boston vs. Pittsburgh. For the love God, I'm hoping for full seven games of action, hat tricks, and fighting. Why couldn't they hold the finals in May and not June?

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:18 pm

Bruins-Penguins is going to get nasty. I wouldn't say they have a rivalry going so much as a four year long fist fight. Bruins fans hate Matt Cooke. Me, I'm still upset at Sydney Crosby for ending the greatest hockey game I ever watched (the 2010 Gold Medal Game) with his overtime goal.

Of course, the Bruins are probably going to win. Why? Because of the most important rule of playoff hockey: The better goalie at the moment is always going to win. Tukka Rask being that goalie (how did the Bruins have enough goaltending that they could actually afford for Tim Thomas to go insane?!), the Bruins are the easy pick. But there will be fighting. Lots of fighting.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:29 pm

And Boston "steals" game one. More like Rask stood on his head for a period and then Boston outshot Pittsburgh 23 - 17 in the last two periods. It also didn't help the second period was just brutal for both teams.

As for Chicago - Los Angeles? Chicago outshot Los Angeles in the first two periods 31 - 14, and then Los Angeles barely shot in the third. Kind of deserved to lose if they didn't have that sense of urgency in the 3rd, frankly.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:34 pm

ampersand wrote:As for Chicago - Los Angeles? Chicago outshot Los Angeles in the first two periods 31 - 14, and then Los Angeles barely shot in the third. Kind of deserved to lose if they didn't have that sense of urgency in the 3rd, frankly.
Yeah, but that's what the Blackhawks do. They're relentless attackers, playing their defense through keeping the puck away from the other team. (Before you say "duh, that's the point of hockey," the Bruins and Penguins don't play that way at all, and in fact often use their defense to set up breakaways and rushes. Relentless attack is kind of rare in hockey, mostly because you need four lines of players willing to do it all game.) LA is going to have to bully Chicago around to get back in this series, and I don't think they have the players to do it. (That's how you stop speed and passing--in the words of Warren Zevon, "hit somebody!")

Look at last night. Chicago just played keep-away from the Kings all night and wore down their normally spectacular goaltender. It's not a bad strategy when your goalie is the shakier of the two, which is true of Chicago's Crawford. If the team with the better goalie matches you in shots, on average you're going to lose. Especially with someone like Quick (who won the Stanley Cup last year more or less by himself), you can't let him be the difference or he will be.
ampersand wrote:It also didn't help the second period was just brutal for both teams.
I'm not sure who bully tactics and fighting helps in the Bruins-Penguins series. It seems like it should be the Bruins on account of having the largest man to ever play hockey manning their blue line. (If you ever go to a game, you'll know when Zdeno Chara is on the ice because he looks like the kid who got held back a year in elementary school.) But then again, Matt Cooke makes his living stirring the pot, and if he's getting people angry he's doing his job right. Until the person he decides to anger is Chara.

ampersand
Redshirt

Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post by ampersand » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:42 am

Just saw that Boston blitzkrieg Pittsburgh 6 - 1. Wow.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Pittsburgh's goaltending situation makes me doubt their chances moving forward. LA's down 2-0 too, but Quick can take a series over. Fleury and Voukun can't do that. It's not impossible for Pittsburgh to come back of course, but it's a lot harder to imagine when the other team has a better goalie and just took two games on the road.