Stanley Cup Playoffs

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
ampersand
Redshirt

Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post by ampersand » Tue May 14, 2013 2:06 am

Listening to the Maple Leafs broadcast. The Leafs play-by-play guy is about ready to jump over the glass and end it all. I'm going to be disappointed if Toronto isn't on fire or burning couches after this overtime is over, which may be take some time. Oh, wait. It's over. He's jumping over. Awaiting reports of riots and car turnings in Toronto.

The Cid
Redshirt

Re: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post by The Cid » Tue May 14, 2013 2:52 am

I've been out of town on business, and wasn't able to watch tonight's game on account of NBC Sports Network not showing it. (I also was unable to watch a game yesterday afternoon because the same network would rather show a Formula 1 race that already happened.) Instead, tonight I got to see the Rangers whipping the Caps out of the playoffs unceremoniously.

Two goals in the final 82 seconds for the Bruins. Wow.

I'm going to miss seeing Reimer's wife on my television screen four times a game or so.

Hockey note: In a full overtime period, when one team comes out and dominates the first few minutes of play but fails to score, that team is going to lose the game.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed May 15, 2013 2:02 pm

The Bruins' local announcer (Jack Edwards) is known for getting a bit enthusiastic.

While that was happening, this is what it looked like below Jack.

...and in Toronto...

Overtime elimination hockey. When you lose, it just sucks. I know the feeling. As a college hockey fan, I've sat in that very building and had that exact feeling after a local tournament called the Beanpot. "But...they had it. They, I mean, they had it." It's the feeling Charlie Brown must have had, laying on his ass after trying and failing to kick Lucy's football.

ampersand
Redshirt

Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post by ampersand » Fri May 17, 2013 6:55 am

If there's one thing we've learned: win your games in regulation, otherwise Boston will close in OT.

And San Jose: no coffee for you.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri May 17, 2013 1:45 pm

The four teams up 1-0 in their playoff series right now are the past four Stanley Cup Champions: Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, and Pittsburgh. (The fifth, Detroit, is playing Chicago.) While this doesn't say much for parity and the salary cap, the wealth of title experience should pay off in some really good hockey going forward.

-I already miss Toronto in the playoffs because I miss seeing shots of their goalie's wife. Next year, I fully expect at least one rival arena to start up a "Mrs. Reimer! clap-clap-clapclapclap" chant.

-I think the San Jose Sharks have found every possible way to lose playoff hockey games. Between them, the Canucks, and the Maple Leafs, they could write the book on hockey heartbreak.

-One Canadian team left: the Ottawa Senators. The Canada Cup Drought is likely to continue another year, making it a full twenty years since a Canadian hockey team has won Lord Stanley's Cup--and even longer since a Canadian hockey team that isn't effing Montreal has won it.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post by Deacon » Fri May 17, 2013 3:17 pm

The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Sat May 18, 2013 8:04 am

There were two teams that were happy with Crosby's hat trick: Pittsburgh and the Canadian National Hockey Team.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sat May 18, 2013 1:51 pm

Of course, Pittsburgh's well on its way to eliminating the last Canadian team in the playoffs, so maybe the CMNHT is conflicted.

Speaking of which...

Hey NHL, get your shit together and allow your professionals to play in the 2014 Winter Games already. The hockey event during the last Winter Olympics involved some of the best hockey I have ever seen in my life (and I really want a USA-Canada rematch because we had that game dammit). I would be disappointed if next year rolls around and the hockey players aren't from the NHL.

ampersand
Redshirt

Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post by ampersand » Sat May 18, 2013 7:46 pm

No Canadian like the Senators, it's not like the anguish the Leafs went through. Oh and it looks like we're heading for a 1-1 tie as Detroit is beating Chicago. I'm fully prepared for someone to die in this series.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue May 21, 2013 2:32 pm

ampersand wrote:it's not like the anguish the Leafs went through.
You are definitely missing the part where no Canadian hockey team has won the Stanley Cup since 1993, and even then it was Montreal. I get that it's a slightly bigger deal in Toronto, but trust me, Ottawa has an entire country pulling for them right now more or less. Because then the Stanley Cup would be in Canada, and that's important to them. They have a glimmer of hope now, after their double-OT win.

Detroit-Chicago is going to be a great series.

ampersand
Redshirt

Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post by ampersand » Fri May 24, 2013 7:07 am

Great series or great upset if Detroit wins? And how many times will they be shouting Roy's name when the Avs play on the road next year?

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri May 24, 2013 3:17 pm

ampersand wrote:Great series or great upset if Detroit wins?
...Great series. By a nose. The Blackhawks' regular season was tremendous, but keep in mind that the season was one of those weird short seasons because of the lockout. So maybe this season was just weird. Also, Detroit has been a very good team for a long time now, so it's not really a huge upset when they win. I have trouble thinking of the Red Wings as huge underdogs in any situation.

Kings-Sharks is also turning into quite the series.
ampersand wrote:And how many times will they be shouting Roy's name when the Avs play on the road next year?
The hiring of Patrick Roy shocked me. I had read about him being kind of notorious for being a jerk. I didn't think he'd end up a coach. (Maybe Jeremy Roenick and Donald Brashear should get into coaching if "being liked by hockey players" isn't a requirement. Is Brashear retired yet?)

ampersand
Redshirt

Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post by ampersand » Sun May 26, 2013 11:09 pm

Watching Portland v Halifax play for the Memorial Cup. Minor League Hockey at its best.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue May 28, 2013 1:29 pm

Two Western Conference game sevens coming up! Tonight it's San Jose and Los Angeles, tomorrow night will be Chicago and Detroit, which so far is the finest series of the NHL playoffs.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue May 28, 2013 3:04 pm

I think that's great. After a lot of "beleaguering" (is that a word? I think it's a word...) of the NHL, it continues to slip from the general American public eye. These playoff games are mostly relegated to 3rd (4th?) tier cable channels I had never even been aware existed before having to hunt for them. This continual bickering between players' unions and ownership is really killing them. It turns out Americans don't have a particularly long attention span anyway, especially with great things happening in the NBA and MLB at the same time, with a little bit of European and even American pitch football bleeding into the periphery. So yet another shortened season with rich people bickering over money doesn't really help bring the NHL back to the forefront, especially in light of the league trying to put a stop to the rough and tough nature of the game.

So some great Game 7 action can only help...
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922