Terrible commercials

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Terrible commercials

Post by Deacon » Wed May 08, 2013 4:14 am

I just saw a Life Alert commercial while watching a show on Comedy Central. It was so bad that at first I seriously thought it was a parody.

Local commercials often are infamously bad, apparently not just because of low budgets but because business owners fancy themselves creative marketing geniuses. I remember one in Little Rock from when I was in 5th grade. It was so bad that I still remember it. A lady in a rectangular foam rubber suit painted like a dollar bill waddle-danced awkwardly across the screen to a terrible jingle about how your dollar goes further at some furniture store or another. It was memorably terrible.

Any particularly awful commercials running these days in your neck of the world? Surely there are provincial disasters across the globe...
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

ampersand
Redshirt

Terrible commercials

Post by ampersand » Wed May 08, 2013 7:58 am

I'll be honest, I haven't watch a lot of TV since I moved. But anything from the St Joseph, Missouri area qualifies as hilarious train wreck category. There's even a car dealership who uses If You're Happy and You Know It as his theme song.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Terrible commercials

Post by Deacon » Wed May 08, 2013 11:48 am

Turned sexy? Like... "clap your thighs!"
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: Terrible commercials

Post by Rorschach » Wed May 08, 2013 12:12 pm

Lipton's "Don't knock it 'til you’ve tried it!" campaign for their iced tea always seemed a bit defeatist to me.

"Lipton's: It's not quite as disgusting as you might think".
To Let

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Wed May 08, 2013 1:07 pm

I will see your terrible commercial and raise you the best commercial I have seen in a long time. If the end doesn't make you laugh you were never a fan lol. Spock Duel/Dual
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Wed May 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Car dealerships are notorious for believing that SOMEONE, ANYONE wants to see the owner screaming at the camera about the deals available on their lot.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed May 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Around here we have a number of furniture stores that seem to be in a heated competition about who can make the worst ad. Bob's Discount Furniture inserts a screaming namesake (Bob) into every commercial so he can doubt his competitors' claims. Jordan's Furniture focuses on the IMAX buried within their furniture store and gimmicky promotions during baseball season that result in free furniture if a low-percentage and random event occurs. Bernie & Phyl's might have the most annoying jingle in history, and seems to be looking for the Boston-area star athlete that is least comfortable in front of a camera.

Oh, and I'd also like GEICO to pick one ad campaign and stick with it. I'm getting tired of every third ad being a different campaign for the same insurance company.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

FireAza
Redshirt

Post by FireAza » Wed May 08, 2013 3:56 pm

Such is the benefits of downloading all my shows and playing them via MediaPortal. That, and AdBlocker.
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Terrible commercials

Post by Deacon » Wed May 08, 2013 6:32 pm

FirebirdNC wrote:I will see your terrible commercial and raise you the best commercial I have seen in a long time. If the end doesn't make you laugh you were never a fan lol.
Believe it not that's what I had intended to share in the original post, what prompted the thread in the first place. I just got distracted going down memory lane I guess :)

amlthrawn
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by amlthrawn » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:23 pm

Can't believe I missed this thread.

I've got something..... FOR... YOOOOOOU!

This is a classic from Chicago. When you grow up where I did in the 90s and you talk about bad commercials, the first thought on everybody's mind is always EAGLEMAN! So many things wrong with this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4-e4nlfdRI
- We were never being boring. We had too much time to find for ourselves.

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:11 pm

Terrible for content, but not form and presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZuN0xXWLc

Anyone up for challenge pissing?
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Terrible commercials

Post by Deacon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:07 am

So...what was that from??

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:27 am

Maryland Public Access TV.
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Terrible commercials

Post by Deacon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:57 am

For real? Like it actually aired? Pure parody or real dealership?

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:08 am

Pure parody. Come to think of it, growing up, I remember NJ Public Access TV having some really wild stuff when I was growing up, like "Flippo: The Clown from Hell" who taught us such fun activities like picking your nose and wiping it on the produce in the supermarket. Then there was also "The Julia Step-child Show."

FYI: What I meant by public access tv, was the community access tv where anyone who paid the money could show almost anything they wanted to.