NBA 2012-13

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:27 pm

Agreed. Mostly, anyway. Yes, I'm biased, and no, the refs neither have an easy job nor decided the game themselves. If Ginobili had played any better, we would be congratulating the Spurs on their rifle.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Re: NBA 2012-13

Post by The Cid » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:47 pm

First Finals Game 7 for LeBron. However this turns out for him, it will be part of his career story. [/stuffyoualreadyknew]
Deacon wrote:If Ginobili had played any better, we would be congratulating the Spurs on their rifle.
Please let that be a saying in Texas. It's like the Texas version of Cockney rhyming slang. Even if it isn't, lie.

Where does this team rank among your favorite Spurs teams? Have any of the years been more fun? (For that matter, have they done a Finals game 7 before? I can't remember one. I know they had a couple against Western Conference teams during that stretch when nobody in the East was particularly good, but none in the Finals, right?)
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

ampersand
Redshirt

NBA 2012-13

Post by ampersand » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:59 am

It's the one that I feel has the most character among Spurs teams.

Game 7 will be very interesting. Might possibly go into OT, which I don't think has ever happened.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:11 am

Of course I meant "title" and was in too big a hurry to notice that it auto corrected like that :)

It's one of my favorites this year. It's sad to think this may be the last year this team is together in this form. I moved back to the States in '97 just in time for Timmy to come in as the great hope to create the twin towers with another of the greatest players in history. The original '99 team was special, especially as the last big hurrah for David Robinson, and of course Avery Johnson and Sean Elliot and all the rest.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:30 am

If you haven't already seen this, you absolutely must watch...

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/504870 ... n-my-blood

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:52 pm

ampersand wrote:It's the one that I feel has the most character among Spurs teams.
I would give that title to the 1999 team because that team had David Robinson on it, and Robinson is one of the all-time NBA leaders in character. I'm completely neutral on the Spurs and I remember being really happy for them that year.
Deacon wrote:It's sad to think this may be the last year this team is together in this form.
Rooting for a great team at the end of a run of greatness is always a strange situation. There's always a question of whether this is it.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:02 pm

And such a long run of greatness... This wasn't a team where they got Gary Payton and Patrick Ewing and Shaq and Kobe for a desperate one-and-done grasp for a ring. These guys have been together for a very long time, with mostly no-name supporting players who somehow still end up being some of the best in the league (e.g. Danny Green hitting a higher percentage of his 3 pointers than many do for free throws), which is a testament to the coach, the foundational players, and the organization as a whole.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:12 pm

Deacon wrote:This wasn't a team where they got Gary Payton and Patrick Ewing and Shaq and Kobe for a desperate one-and-done grasp for a ring.
That's how the league is now. There's no loyalty anywhere. The Celtics brought in Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett and they saved the organization, bringing it out of ruin and back to where it "belongs." Then they tried to trade Allen twice, let him walk to Miami, and have let all sorts of teams kick the tires on Garnett. Just this week they tried to trade their coach before the NBA stepped in and informed them that you can't trade your coach.

There's a feeling across NBA analysts that LeBron James is going to opt out of his contract after next season and take his talents to wherever. Because of course he will.

The Lakers tried to trade Kobe Bryant six years ago.

Everyone's big question about that talented young team in Oklahoma City is "how long until everyone leaves Oklahoma City?"

Maybe Duncan will pay old favors forward and mentor a draft pick or two and get them fired up about playing the Spurs' way and sticking around. It would be an interesting organizational move to be the one team that shows loyalty.

I also admire how the Spurs don't pick up old free agents chasing rings (Payton was an excellent example). Seems to work out well for them.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:09 am

And of course Duncan took a pretty massive pay cut to open up cap space and stay in San Antonio. I don't know, but I hope David Robinson and others are still involved behind the scenes.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:00 am

Congratulations to Miami. It breaks my heart to be so close to putting such a satisfying bear hug around such a memorable and legendary set of careers.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:59 am

While LaBron is congratulating himself on being the first poor black kid to have success in the NBA, better men are managing to be magnanimous in defeat. And in the midst of the tumult, a quiet moment of mutual respect and disappointment shared between two greats and two friends, appropriately unspoken.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:03 pm

The last three shots the Spurs took before the game slipped away were all the right shot to take. They just didn't fall. The three point attempt was set up beautifully, Duncan's hook at the end was exactly the right play, and that was the hard part for the neutral fan. The Spurs did everything they could and they ran the right plays. Gravity just didn't match up with their game plan.

That picture was before the game. See how Duncan has his warmup gear on? And how he's not covered in sweat?

They did carry themselves extremely well once the game was over though. Popovich was gracious in defeat (and funny in his press conferences before and after the game--what's up with that? He's usually so angry), Duncan handled himself very well, they both said great things about Miami.

By the way, a little bit of credit is due the Miami crowd for letting up a light round of applause (and never booing) when the Spurs were mentioned. Both the Heat's owner and their coach Eric Spoelstra were extremely gracious in victory, and that should be noted because it's unique and rare in sports. That's one thing I'll give the Heat. Their coach, who two years ago was in the position of "win or everyone will laugh at you," is actually really good. They don't lift that trophy last night if he isn't.

What a Finals. Congratulations to the Heat. Congratulations to Spurs fans on the run you've had, whether it ends here or not.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:31 pm

Well, the Celtics are going to be awful next year. This week can't end soon enough from a Boston sports standpoint. I hope the Red Sox are stocked up on good luck charms. (Fortunately, baseball players are freakishly superstitious.)

In the past week they've traded Doc Rivers (as it turns out, you can trade a coach!) to the Clippers, and now Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett are going to Brooklyn. They are receiving a lot of draft picks and a lot of bums in return.

Maybe now they can free up cap space so some big name free agents won't sign here. Damn it all.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:28 pm

I know absolutely nothing about the incoming draftees, so I have no idea whether what happened last night was a good thing or not. Any thoughts about the Spurs draft picks or the Celtics (or anyone else for that matter)?

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:54 pm

I don't watch college basketball very much, so I don't know much about any of the players. Looking at it now, the Celtics took two seven footers, both of them coming via those draft day trades. I like rebounding, and presumably they should be able to do that. I guess.

The Spurs took a power forward from France and a small forward from Ohio State. I know nothing of importance about either of them. The Spurs were not involved in any trades.

New Orleans (who are the Pelicans now, but Charlotte hasn't taken the Hornets name back yet) drafted a dude with a flat top named Nerlens. From what I can tell, Nerlens (which is a cat's name) was supposed to be the top pick and the big prize in the draft, but something happened and he fell to #6. And then the Pelicans immediately traded him to Philadelphia.

I've been told next year's draft is going to be a big one. This one was more of a thin draft in terms of top talent I suppose. Then again, sports drafts are such crapshoots.