NBA 2012-13

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
ampersand
Redshirt

NBA 2012-13

Post by ampersand » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:20 am

That block by James says everything about Game 2.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:14 am

It was disappointing, but the Heat showed up, and I really didn't expect to take two in Miami.

Not sure what was going on with Ginobili. The good news is that it felt like Miami played their best game tonight, and I know that if they play as they're capable, the Spurs are better right now.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:53 am

Well that was a blowout. I can't imagine a repeat Thursday, but I'll take another W however it comes.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Re: NBA 2012-13

Post by The Cid » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:08 pm

...Go seven. Please. Seven memorable games. The two best players of their era going at it in the Finals (in other words "I'm placing Duncan above Kobe Bryant"), a great coach against a really damn good coach who will never get the proper credit (Spoelstra deserves some credit for how the Heat have matured in the past couple of years), the best international player ever (Ginobli, assuming we're not going to count Duncan) and the best long range shooter ever (that would be former Celtic Ray Allen). Seven. We want three more of these. And a fight wouldn't hurt matters. Because the Stanley Cup Final is going to be unbelievable. So the NBA needs to step its game up. Go seven.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:22 pm

It's really looking like it. Here's the problem though. Neither team has shown they can win back to back games yet. While it might say something about the quality of the two teams, it also says something about how neither team seems to be that good because San Antonio looks unbeatable in game 1 and 3 and Miami has looked the same in 2 and 4. If this pattern holds, San Antonio will win game 5, Miami wins game 6, and both looking impressive and unimpressive depending on which game you see.

I'd like to see more of the series be like Game 1 where it was fairly close all the way through out, instead of the other games where it started out even, but there was a blow-out factor later on.

Frankly, it's also help if Miami gave a damn about this series. They've often played like they're not interested in playing at all.

ampersand
Redshirt

NBA 2012-13

Post by ampersand » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:13 am

Well, I did call Game 5. And now it comes down to who can win two in a row. San Antonio does not want to take a chance of playing Game 7.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:36 am

I'd rather not go to game 7 because I'd rather have it sewn up in 6. That said, I'm really glad to have two chances to win one instead of facing elimination twice. I'm optimistic.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:20 pm

ampersand wrote:San Antonio does not want to take a chance of playing Game 7.
Too bad. That's what the neutral fan wants. Two more games.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:41 am

Heard some pontification that what San Antonio can afford to do is to pull the starters away if the game gets out of control too early and Miami has a big lead. Even though the road team who is up 3 - 2 if taken to a Game 7 has never won Game 7.

But I haven't found either team able to win two in a row, which is now what it comes down to.

I've also heard complaints that the series isn't that good because the games end in blow-outs.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:03 am

Tim Duncan is carrying the Spurs in the first half of game six.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:34 am

James trying to carry the Heat back.

Nerve wracking.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:53 am

Holy crap in a box!

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:54 am

This is the best basketball game that has happened so far this season.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:36 am

Man it was on a razor's edge. A couple calls helped teeter it to one side, but really it came down to the Spurs and the Heat and some questionable coaching calls by Pop.

Frustrating and exhilarating and draining all at the same time.

Did you notice how in the interview with King James afterward he used the word "I" almost exclusively? I really want to like James. He's an incredible athlete and one of the best players in the league, several years running. But it gets harder with stuff like that and the ridiculous pulling of faces and flapping of arms when he doesn't get calls--especially when even after review there's no way he should've gotten a call.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:26 pm

Deacon wrote:A couple calls helped teeter it to one side
Maybe it's because I'm neutral here. ...Okay, I'm not really, I want the Heat to lose. But my favorite team is not involved, so maybe that's why I'm about to go easy on the referees.

Ginobli deserves a couple of big non-calls in huge situations. Sorry, but it's a Boy Who Cried Wolf thing. He was definitely fouled near the end of that game, but after so many years of selling close calls he should lose the benefit of doubt on a close call in the Finals. It sucks, but he pretty much made his own bed there.

The last second block by Bosh certainly looked like a foul to me, a semi-neutral fan rooting against Miami. But, Bosh was significantly bigger and appeared to get a clean block before momentum took him into Danny Green. I don't really know if that's a foul or not by the letter of the law. It looked like one on TV. It also looked like an example of why basketball refs have a tough job. (Granted, they're not very good at that job, which compounds matters, but it's not an easy job.) I really can't think of how Bosh could have played that with less contact short of "letting Green shoot a three pointer that, if he sank it, would end all pretense of Bosh being one of the Big Three."

Actually, let me take a moment and give some credit to Chris Bosh for stepping up late. Coming into the fourth quarter, he could have been on the hook to take the blame for this loss. Tim Duncan was unkind to him all night. Then he stepped up, got some big defensive stops, and blocked the potential game-tying shot.