NBA 2012-13

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Thu May 23, 2013 7:32 am

Wow, so any chance the Pacers take the Heat? I wouldn't have given them a chance, but they nearly eked out an overtime win.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Re: NBA 2012-13

Post by The Cid » Thu May 23, 2013 9:12 pm

I think Indiana can hang around and make a series of it at least. They need to play at such a high level every night to do it though. Maybe if they can steal game two and the Indiana crowd shows up like it's a college game for the Pacers' home games, they can pull it off.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Fri May 24, 2013 2:00 am

If they show up like the Heart-Attack Rangers' fans showed up tonight to keep them from being swept by the Bruins in OT, they might have a chance.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue May 28, 2013 3:13 pm

Well, nobody else seems to be too interested in this, but the Spurs completed the sweep of the Grizzlies last night to win the Western Conference Championship and are going to the Finals to compete for another title. They swept the Lakers in round one, beat the Warriors 4-2, and then swept the Grizzlies in the Western Conference Finals. I don't think it's too far out on a limb to say that's pretty good. That includes 5 overtime periods, including winning one in double overtime, gutting it out in Mephis' FedEx Forum, known for being a tough place to visit. They only lost one of the overtime games, on the equally tough Warrior's home court.

I think it's safe to say the Spurs know how to win, and if they're executing at all they're extremely hard to beat. As a fan, I kind of hope the Pacers and Heat go at it for 7 games, wearing each other down, so that no matter who advances they will start at a disadvantage against a fresher Spurs team that has earned its rest.

That series should really be 2-1 right now to the Pacers, but the Heat barely managed to eke out a last-minute one-point advantage to win Game 1 at home to flip it 2-1 to the Heat. We'll see if the Pacers can rally at home tonight to tie it up, forcing a Game 6 at the very least.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue May 28, 2013 6:11 pm

Deacon wrote:Well, nobody else seems to be too interested in this
There's just not much to say. No real need for in-depth analysis of the size of the footprint Duncan and company left on Memphis' back.
Deacon wrote:I think it's safe to say the Spurs know how to win, and if they're executing at all they're extremely hard to beat. As a fan, I kind of hope the Pacers and Heat go at it for 7 games, wearing each other down, so that no matter who advances they will start at a disadvantage against a fresher Spurs team that has earned its rest.
With the Spurs' age, this is probably the best thing for them. At the same time, I don't like when a team on a roll has to wait around. They're playing so well right now that it almost seems like they need to just keep going while they're so in-tune.

LeBron-led NBA teams have typically had the most trouble with experienced teams. Veteran play can frustrate him and make him try to do too much. In that regard, the Spurs could give Miami fits, provided the Pacers don't pull a miracle upset.
Deacon wrote:We'll see if the Pacers can rally at home tonight to tie it up, forcing a Game 6 at the very least.
The problem I'm noticing is that the Pacers need to play perfectly to win. No mistakes at all. (See: End of game one. Only real mistake the Pacers made all night and it cost them the game.) I think they could do that one more time, but three more might be asking too much.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Tue May 28, 2013 7:23 pm

Well they're in Indiana tonight, right? Maybe the home court and a night's sleep in their own bed will give them an edge.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue May 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Maybe, but Miami already beat them in Game 3, which was also in Indiana.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Tue May 28, 2013 7:45 pm

I think Heat have it on lockdown now and would be very surprised if Pacers win one more game let alone two. I think Heat will close it out in five and then we have a few days before the Finals start. It doesn't matter how many games the Eastern Conference series goes, Spurs will get a full week of rest, which is what they need the most.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue May 28, 2013 10:16 pm

The Cid wrote:Maybe, but Miami already beat them in Game 3, which was also in Indiana.
Well, yeah. Never say never, though.
ampersand wrote:It doesn't matter how many games the Eastern Conference series goes, Spurs will get a full week of rest, which is what they need the most.
Right, but I'd rather the winner out of the East have as little as possible for what is shaping up to be a very difficult series :)

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Wed May 29, 2013 5:01 am

ampersand wrote:I think Heat have it on lockdown now and would be very surprised if Pacers win one more game
Uh-huh...

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed May 29, 2013 2:46 pm

The play at the end of the third quarter last night was amazing--an inbounds pass from sideline to sideline and a fall-away three.

I wonder if the average sportswriter would be giving the Pacers more of a shot in this series if they were the New York Pacers. This is the team Indiana has been all season long. We should have seen this coming. We should have known that Hibbert was going to be a really terrible matchup for Chris Bosh, and that Paul George can win a game by himself. I don't think we'd all be so dismissive of a Chicago team or some other big NBA market.

Anyone else starting to get reminded of 1995, Reggie Miller, Spike Lee, and the best non-Jordan series of the 90s? (Pacers-Knicks, immortalized in ESPN's documentary "Winning Time," available here in its entirety.)

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Thu May 30, 2013 9:04 pm

Yeah...I didn't see Pacers winning game 4. I just thought Miami had figured Indiana out, and then Indiana showed it could adjust as well.

The real issue Miami has at this point is that Indiana is leading them on offensive rebounds in the series. Indiana has a +11 offensive rebound edge so far in this series and that means more second chance opportunities for Indiana. I thought and still think Miami will win because the collective talent for Miami is better, but maybe it's not as great as I thought.

And Deacon, you may want your Spurs to play Indiana. But they'd be far more bruising than I'd think you'd like. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to try to sneak in a radio at work and listen to Hubie break down the 2 - 3 zone. Again.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Fri May 31, 2013 4:15 am

I really like Hubie Brown announcing, adding a coach's perspective. In case you were wondering.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:03 pm

We have a game seven! Monday night, Indiana at Miami for the Eastern Conference title. A few thoughts:

-Rebounding. Defense. Free-throw shooting. Screw any of those three things up and you will not win a basketball championship on pretty much any level. Indiana is playing awesome in this series and I don't want to diminish what they're doing, but you had one job, Chris Bosh. The paint belongs to the Pacers right now. Bosh is taking mid-range jumpers (the basketball stat-heads insist that one should never take mid-range jumpers because you should either be in the paint or behind the three-point line), allowing Hibbert to plant a little flag under the basket on every play and, you know, just chill there.

-As much as I've always liked Ray Allen, he's starting to seem like a version of the secondary bad guy in an action movie. You know, the kind-of-comic-relief guy who thinks he got away from danger completely clean, only to find a kind of funny and very appropriate punishment waiting for him. Like he got to the plane at the last second, but he ended up sitting between Melissa McCarthy and John Madden, both of whom feel a little gassy.

-Pacers-Spurs, if it happens, will do two things: 1) send NBA ratings plummeting to "back when they tape-delayed the Finals" levels, and 2) provide material for the dreams of every basketball coach. It'd be seven games of fundamentals, team play, solid coaching, and ego-free players. It'd also be two of the smallest markets in American sports, neither of whom has a crowd-pleasing team (fundamentals and defense don't exactly fill up highlight reels).

-Even though he's played well in this series and is not at fault for not having won yet, game seven is all on LeBron. This is what megastars do. It's not fair to expect him to carry his team, but he's not just trying to be a "great" player or a "star" player, he's trying to be The Best Ever and the other people with a claim to that all carried their teams in game seven situations. Bill Russell would take over. Michael Jordan would take over. Magic would take over. If LeBron is really headed there, if he's really that historically great, then nothing else in this game should matter. Not Hibbert, not the boards, not Wade's knee or Bosh's Boshness, in "the greatest ever" discussion these things are binary. You either win or you don't. Magic, Russell, and MJ won and get credit for it. Wilt lost and that's why it's Russell and Jordan at the top of the list and not Russell, Jordan, and Chamberlain. And game sevens will be the difference between LeBron finishing his career in that discussion or not.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:41 pm

The Cid wrote:the basketball stat-heads insist that one should never take mid-range jumpers because you should either be in the paint or behind the three-point line.
Tell that to Tony Parker :)

Man, I would say I called it on the Game 7, but that was a lot less an expectation than a thought like "wouldn't it be cool if...?"