NBA 2012-13

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Tue May 07, 2013 3:50 am

Is anyone watching?

The Bulls just shocked Miami taking the first game in their second-round series. I would love to see Miami get knocked out in the second round, as unlikely as that is, as that gives the Spurs that much better a shot after sweeping the Lakers, handing them their worst playoff loss at home in history.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Re: NBA 2012-13

Post by The Cid » Tue May 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Deacon wrote:The Bulls just shocked Miami taking the first game in their second-round series.
I'd love to see the Bulls pull this series off too, but by all reports it seems highly unlikely that Derrick Rose will find a way to insert himself into the series. So I'm not holding out any hope.
Deacon wrote:that gives the Spurs ... sweeping the Lakers, handing them their worst playoff loss at home in history.
Now that's something we can all enjoy!

I hope the Spurs win so Tim Duncan can get a national curtain call like he deserves. His style of play isn't particularly entertaining and he plays for a team not at all interested in thrilling fans, so people don't talk about Duncan much, but he's going to finish as one of the top ten NBA players ever and he deserves some hype for that. Maybe the Spurs will meat Miami in the Finals and get their day in the spotlight.

-The hardest part of the Celtics losing to the Knicks is that the fans do not want to say goodbye to this team as currently constructed even though they probably can't win like this. The team was essentially dead before Garnett revived Pierce. They turned everything around. Even if they can't realistically win like this anymore, the fans keep asking for one more curtain call because we're still not done applauding them.

Still, damn. Down 26 in the fourth in their last game, bring it down to 6 points with two minutes left. That's a way to go down alright.

And let's face it, the NBA kind of needs a good team in New York. Above all else, New York's a basketball city.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue May 07, 2013 6:53 pm

The Spurs game last night was incredible. Sweeping the Lakers was a double-edged sword, providing some time to rest and recuperate but also covering most of the players in a layer of rust that took nearly the whole game to shake off. They were down by 16 with 4 minutes to go and went on I think an 18-0 run to come back and end up tied at the buzzer, forcing overtime. And then it came down to the buzzer. 2OT! And shadows of the Memorial Day Miracle emerged, and Ginobili buried the three with something like 4 of 5 seconds to go. It was an intense 15 minutes or so of play time. Awesome.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

ampersand
Redshirt

NBA 2012-13

Post by ampersand » Tue May 14, 2013 3:48 am

If Oklahoma City does not win this game 4, I think they are in serious trouble. And the dangers of a Memphis v Indiana championship goes up fourfold.

ampersand
Redshirt

NBA 2012-13

Post by ampersand » Tue May 14, 2013 4:48 am

And boom goes the dynamite if you're OKC.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Tue May 14, 2013 5:37 am

Hmm. This may be a more interesting playoffs than originally thought. Warriors won't let the Spurs get away with one unearned, though if the Spurs would just hit their normal shot and free throw percentages they'd have at least a 3-1 lead. In the meantime while Miami seems to be doing fine the Thunder are somehow not dominating the West as predicted. If Memphis wins out, you could see the Spurs (hopefully) vs the Grizzlies in the west and Miami versus Indiana in the east, unless the Knicks show up like they still can.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed May 15, 2013 1:44 pm

Deacon wrote: Warriors won't let the Spurs get away with one unearned
The Warriors are a freakish team that can just shoot the lights out whenever they feel like. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like their reckless, entertaining, and ultimately probably doomed to fail style of play. If they weren't playing a team who deserves recognition as history-in-the-making, I'd be pulling for them. Certainly a lot of fun to watch.
Deacon wrote:the Thunder are somehow not dominating the West as predicted.
The Thunder might have started the season by making the dumbest trade in any sport in the past ten years. I'm thinking about it, I can't think of a worse trade than OKC giving James Harden away. (The closest I can think of: The Philadelphia Flyers of the NHL trading a championship-caliber core of guys to LA and Columbus in order to make room to sign a goaltender who hasn't been fantastic in Philly. The Kings are defending Cup champions now, and the Flyers didn't even make the playoffs.) That's how they're not dominating the West. Because they gave away James Harden.
Deacon wrote:unless the Knicks show up like they still can.
I don't trust teams that rely that much on the three. (Above comment about the Warriors notwithstanding.) They're too streaky. The Knicks are such a team right now. On a good night, they can score enough points to spot their shaky defense, and Madison Square Garden is a big homecourt advantage to have. However, when that shooting dries up, they don't have a Plan B. It's asking too much to shoot the lights out four out of seven games for four rounds.

Besides, I'd like to see Indiana versus the Heat. The Pacers' style of play might cause Miami to stumble a little bit.

ampersand
Redshirt

NBA 2012-13

Post by ampersand » Thu May 16, 2013 6:58 am

Ex-Vancouver defeats Ex-Seattle. It was a very brutal night for anything associated with Seattle.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Thu May 16, 2013 1:19 pm

David Stern hates Seattle thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much!

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri May 17, 2013 5:30 am

Haha, I'm guessing they make San Antonio seem like not so small a market in comparison, or what?

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri May 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Actually, no. I don't think market size is holding Seattle back. The NBA has smaller markets than Seattle. The Sonics moved to Oklahoma City because Howard Schultz of Starbucks Coffee fame was a terrible NBA owner, and because Seattle as a city refused to build a new NBA arena free of charge to the Sonics.

While Stern has mentioned wanting to return to Seattle, he says the same thing about Vancouver, and there's currently zero traction toward getting a team back to Vancouver. I think the reality is that he and the NBA owners are still upset that Seattle didn't build a new venue, and they didn't want to make up so quickly.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NBA 2012-13

Post by Deacon » Fri May 17, 2013 3:09 pm

Why should billionaires build their own buildings is what I want to know. Every skyscraper downtown was built by the city with money taken away from its families in taxes. Right?

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sat May 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Yeah, that's just what we need: Athletic venues that are finished years late, millions of dollars over budget for no discernible reason, and already falling into disrepair the moment they're finished.

ampersand
Redshirt

NBA 2012-13

Post by ampersand » Sat May 18, 2013 7:42 pm

Billionaires building skyscrapers and arenas sounds like prerequisite to world domination. They need an evil lair.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed May 22, 2013 8:21 pm