Work and the State of Finding Better Work

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:29 pm

Since there isn't a place to just rant on something nonsequitur anymore, I'll just codify it into a general rant and a question.

I call in sick because, well, I'm sick. I can't hold in Breakfast and I think my apartment is slowly killing me. I hem and haw knowing that everything is backed-up at work and well, there have been some people who are taking weeks off. So I call and let a person know that I'm sick.

The supervisor calls three seconds later and lets me know that the number of points I have accumulated from calling in sick and late are a lot more than anticipated, and this is the first time in over nine months that they've asked me if I could come in at all even though I'm sick. I tell him I'd think about it.

What upsets me more than the point total, I sort of knew that I was getting close, is that no one told me that I was this close from a written warning. I didn't even have a verbal warning. Second, I'm also upset that now they ask if I could come in and make-up extra hours. I never really was asked that. I've said before to let me know if they want me to come in early. No one cared in my department. Other departments have asked, and my supervisor's boss has asked, but it's was for areas that while I did if they wanted me to help I would help, I also told them it would take me longer to complete their tasks than they may have wanted me to. It's a call center so fielding calls is just going to take twice as long as normal. I thought I was trying to tell them that while I wouldn't say no, I wasn't going to hit any benchmarks they were looking for anyway. It's like I don't matter unless I am the absolute last resort.

On top of this, there are at least four other people who are listed as being sick for at least two weeks to a month. They're the reason why we're behind. This is on top of the unit boss forcing upper management to fire half of the lower management supervisors and almost all of the training staff. Clearly, it's time to look for somewhere else while trying to improve my attendance record.

So, I've been here in Portland in a year, and I could go Monster, some temp agency, Craigslist, or something else entirely which may involve self-employment, going door to door, something else. I just sort of feel like things aren't going very well here and it maybe time to look elsewhere before something else happens. What avenue should I take in looking for something else at this point?

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Re: Work and the State of Finding Better Work

Post by sneaky ninja » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:04 pm

I don't know, but my advice is not to move around in search of better work. You can't run from your problems, so I think leaving would be more trouble than its worth. Try for something at a coffee company or brewery? Surely that can't be less than 95% of the city's economy :P

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Ampersand, do you have anything formal to go with the amount you know about the weather? I know that's a really specialized thing and there might not be a huge pool of jobs there, but you seem to know your stuff about that. If you could find an opening, it couldn't hurt to put in an application with an impassioned cover letter.

The best advice I've ever gotten in a job search was to aim high at all times. Apply to jobs you can get, of course, and keep reasonable, but if you see an opening for a dream job of yours that you know you could do, there is absolutely no harm in putting your hat in the ring. You never know who's looking or what it is that they're looking for. For all you know, you're it.

And keep confident. That's really hard in the job market. The world will kick your ass and wipe the smirk right the Hell off your face, but confidence is what gets you a better job and without that you're unlikely to go anywhere.

Or, if you have a friend who can get you a job that you can do (don't want to screw over a friend after all), get that job. It doesn't always seem like the merit-based way to get a job, but you'll get it, because that's how a lot of people find good work.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Sophira
Jezzy's Belle

Post by Sophira » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:29 am

1) It sounds like you really hate that job. So yes, look for ways to do well enough without it. Unfortunately, these ways involve continuing to work there until you can score something that might be better at another company. Unless, of course, you've got so much saved up that you can afford to just not work while looking for other work--but it's a fact that employers are biased toward employed people.

2) Illness of a persistent sort is SUPER bad for employment. It's super bad for anything, really. Get to the bottom of that shit and get rid of it. Don't fuck around. I know a guy whose allergies got him fired a couple of times and it took him a solid year and a half to find another job. He couch surfed, relied heavily on friends, and was poor as dirt besides. It's not a good way to be.

3) Portland has nice weather, you guys. Also, good luck.
<Arc_Orion> And I give rides to dudes!
<kaiju01> Yeah, I'm kind of a dick.
<Hirschof>Long from now, when the Earth is charred and barren, the only things left on the surface will be cockroaches and the continuous bickering between Fuggle and Deacon. :)
<Deacon> I'm not, however, played by a homosexual child star.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:40 am

I am working in cleaning up my studio as soon as possible. Probably need to seriously consider my medical situation very soon.

It's not that I really hate my job; I'm at a point where I know I've been employed for a year and feel antsy to see what else is out there. My biggest issue is that I'm not confident in anything, and I had hoped to start to shake out of that by now.

My intention was not to turn this into a long-term job, and that is what I am fearing most.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:39 am

How is your absence recorded, just out of curiosity?
If it's anything like our much hated Bradford Factor then Soaps is right: frequent short absenteeism is frowned upon much more than occassional, even long, occurances.

I got a verbal warning last year for a handful of days-or-twos. Noone'll even mention my return to work on Monday after being off for eight months. It seems pretty unfair. Employers seem to assume the worst about short-term absenteeism. Sure, it's the skiver's calling card but it's also the most likely form of absenteeism.

Not that any of this helps you in your current predicament. What about some kind of part-time training with a view to a later career change? Even having something on a distant horizon can be pretty motivating.
To Let

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:41 pm

From what I've gathered at work, you have to accumulate a lot of points (double figures, apparently) in order to be in trouble. I'm only in the single digits. I don't think I am in trouble, but as my direct supervisor has said to me, they were more concerned that I was late than that I've taken too many sick days.

I do have some computer skills and I'm trying to continue to learn and practice them during days off. My concern is the more I work with them, the more I feel like I gained these skills while being pushed by others into doing something...and that never really ends up being good. I have been thinking about moving out to the Oregon coast, set up some sort of entrepreneur business and see if I could make a go at it.

But that's a few years away at least.