A little bit country

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

A little bit country

Post by Deacon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:26 am

Yeah, this sounds about right:

Does anyone else actually listen to country, from mainstream Nashville stars to good ol' Texas Country, much of which seems to be about the medicinal benefits of marijuana?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Jezebel
Soapy's Choice

Re: A little bit country

Post by Jezebel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:54 am

I listen to old school (Cash, Nelson, Jennings) and 90s stuff. Not really any new stuff though.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

A little bit country

Post by Deacon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:39 am

Haven't you spent most of your formative years in Oklahoma? No red dirt love?

Otherwise I assume you're familiar with the work of George Strait.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Jezebel
Soapy's Choice

Post by Jezebel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:16 am

I did mention Jennings and Nelson which is considered Red Dirt Texas style. :)

Yes, familiar with George Strait, Garth Brooks, Travis Tritt, Tim McGraw, etc etc etc

Deacon
Shining Adonis

A little bit country

Post by Deacon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:43 am

I never thought of them as red dirt. I think of modern Texas country slash Oklahoma red dirt.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:37 am

I'm quite a big Counting Crows fan - although I was a wee bit annoyed with their most recent album - and I'm just getting into Ryan Adams, both of which I think are considered 'alt. country'.

Also, I have a 'Best of Johnny Cash' CD in the car, but I believe that's a legal prerequisite to driving. Like a tax disc or a licence plate.

I like country music in general though. The musicians tend to be pretty good as there's nowhere to hide really with that style of music and there's not usually much chance of misinterpreting the singer's feelings.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

A little bit country

Post by Deacon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:44 pm

Ryan Adams I guess I can see, but I've never thought of or heard of Counting Crows being labeled with anything with the word "country" in it. Awesome band that puts on a clinic of musicianship live, but I would think something with "folk rock" would be closer.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:26 am

I have. I've seen them described as alt-most things.

I've just bought a Ke$ha album. I genuinely wouldn't have seen that coming at 36.
To Let

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:56 pm

Hmm. That might have been a bit of a bad buy actually.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

A little bit country

Post by Deacon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:25 pm

I kind of wish there was a giant, obnoxious "NO SHIT" smiley here.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:29 pm

Only if we can get a 'Thank you, Captain Obvious' one.

I actually bought it for the purposes of running; when I tend to listen to music I normally wouldn't under other circumstances. It's got a few decent running tracks, but is pretty shit in the main. Maybe I'd like it better if I were gurl.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:23 pm

Or a grrl.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Do country singers still sing through their nose? I recall the old-time country singers would get a nasally twang just right and annoyed most of my family as they were classically trained in singing.

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Wed May 01, 2013 10:36 pm

My wife listens to country, and as a result, so do I on occasion. Couldn't really say which singers though, although I think it's a mix of modern and old school.

Rors if you're looking for obnoxious running music (Ke$sha says you are), I like to listen to the Ying Yang Twins. Southern rap, good beat, massively offensive on nearly every front.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.