Thunderstorms

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Thunderstorms

Post by Martin Blank » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:55 pm

I love thunderstorms. There's a cleansing feeling about the sight of a downpour, and the sound of the rain is relaxing. The way the lightning lights everything up for a brief moment is magical, and even cloud-to-cloud lightning creates beautiful spectacles in the sky. Even driving in one, stuck in traffic, I'm at a good, happy place.

In California, they weren't that common. I was told that in Texas, I'd see them more often. I think I've seen a proper thunderstorm once since I've gotten here.

That's not to say that Dallas hasn't had thunderstorms. It has, and some pretty strong ones at that. They just seem to go around me. And by "seem to go around me" I mean that I've watched storms drift just south or just north, or in one case, break into two pieces, go around my area, and rejoin on the other side.

I figure the odds can't be against me all the time. At some point, I'll be sitting in my apartment, a storm raging outside, maybe with the power out, but I'll be perfectly happy to quietly watch it all happening.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Jezebel
Soapy's Choice

Re: Thunderstorms

Post by Jezebel » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:54 pm

There's been at least half a dozen since you arrived. Lewisville is in a weird spot for them though. You tend to miss the ones going W-E and N-S. Lot of rain right now, but no thunder. Last week we had some evening thunder!

Jezebel
Soapy's Choice

Post by Jezebel » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:55 pm

LOL just heard thunder

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:19 pm

Heard it, yes. Two peals. I've been watching the radar maps. One cell apparently jumped over the area, the other one (the one that you're getting right now) is wrapping around here. And those that happened to reach here happened largely while I was out of town.

If there's something about the geography of this place that causes the cells to go around it, I can't figure it out.

Make that three peals, the latest way off in the distance.

Jezebel
Soapy's Choice

Post by Jezebel » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:30 pm

I think its just in a weird position. Much like Fort Worth blocks our tornados.

amlthrawn
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by amlthrawn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:47 pm

Thunderstorms are one of my favorite things. Its incredibly relaxing to fall asleep to the sound of rain and thunderclaps.

And there are rare instances in Chicago where we've experienced Thundersnow. I'm not entirely sure, meteorologically, what makes Thunder-snow-storms so rare, but I've only experienced two and they were both awesome.
- We were never being boring. We had too much time to find for ourselves.

Jezebel
Soapy's Choice

Post by Jezebel » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:00 pm

We sometimes get sunshowers. Super weird!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Post by sneaky ninja » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:19 pm

It rains here. That's about it.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:00 pm

Considering Texas is in a very severe drought, you should welcome every thunderstorm you get.

I think what makes Thundersnow so rare is that you rarely get the kinds of clouds to form that produces Lightning and thunder. Thunderstorms require two air masses of different temperatures to interact that allows the formation of cumulonimbus clouds. In colder weather, it just doesn't happen as much. So you need a warm temperatures from somewhere, and lake-effect snows from Lake Michigan is just warm enough where thundersnow can happen.

As much as I love the sounds of live a thunderstorm, I think I love the sounds of the ocean better. The sounds of just rain isn't bad either.

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Perhaps the weather guys can back me up or correct me, but I've heard that sometimes storms split around populated areas because the man made structures (streets, houses, etc) hold heat differently and create a column of "differently warm" air which splits the cloud.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:41 pm

Yes, it's part of the "heat island" effect which can kill storms as the heat will effectively cut off access to other systems.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:43 am

Take that, Mother Nature!

This thread reminds me of this song:

[youtube]zN1_3zHjhW8[/youtube]

It's a good thing.
To Let

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:17 pm

ampersand wrote:Yes, it's part of the "heat island" effect which can kill storms as the heat will effectively cut off access to other systems.
It does make some sense for storms from certain directions (like from the southwest where Ft. Worth can affect it), but where I live is not exactly downtown Dallas and it happens with storms from all directions. The one that broke apart, went around, and rejoined was north of Fort Worth.

This is definitely suburbia here, and wide swaths of it are still open land (ranches, parks, undeveloped areas). I suppose Lewisville Lake could have something to do with it by acting as a heat sink, but I don't know if it's large enough to do so.

The same thing happened a lot in California when I lived in Anaheim. Placentia was a mile to the north and could get soaked, Orange a couple of miles to the south and got soaked, and Disneyland a few miles west and got soaked. I blamed it on a trick of the hills to the east, but it's continued here in Texas.

Maybe Sophira had the same experience, since she used to live in the same complex.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Thunderstorms

Post by Deacon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:50 pm

It's probably just a gypsy's curse.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Jezebel
Soapy's Choice

Post by Jezebel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:50 pm

You should ask Pete Delkus!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2