Doctor Who -The Rings of Akhaten - 4/6/2013

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:31 am

I really liked Matt Smith's speech near the end, and I'm still digging his facial mannerisms that go along with the whole "old man in a young man's body" thing that the 11th Doctor has going for him.

I got a kick out of hearing how he's been there before and that had brought along Susan at the time.

Still on the fence regarding Clara, but we at least know that his Clara actually had parents and lived a normal life so far.

"I"ve been in a universe where the laws of physics were written by a madman!," has me wondering if he's referring to either The Mind Robber or The Celestial Toymaker.

Image <--I guess he still remembers the Venusian Aikido training he had during his Third Incarnation.

For those of you whose only exposure was post 2005 (note: ignore the title of the video, the Third Doctor called it Venusian Aikido)

[youtube]pMAab89iINM[/youtube]
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: Doctor Who -The Rings of Akhaten - 4/6/2013

Post by Rorschach » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:35 am

That's more like it. Last night's episode ticked most of my boxes even though the beginning reminded me of Hellboy II's Troll Market and the Doctor's 'Take it all!' reminded me of Hulk's victory over that stupid cloud that used to be his father.

I thought the music last night was fantastic. I really liked the songs and their arrangements. Also, clever casting. A wee actress who could sing a bit instead of an obvious mini professional singer, Love Actually stylee.

I'm enjoying the new TARDIS interior and the wider shots we're getting which allow us to see more of the control room. I too am a bit undecided about Clara, although obviously I'd ruin her so badly it'd take dental records to identify her. The leaf was really sweet as a plot device.

I really liked it.
To Let

Berym
Redshirt

Post by Berym » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:25 am

Rorschach wrote:although obviously I'd ruin her so badly it'd take dental records to identify her
You and me both, mate.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:08 pm

I thought it was great, though it remained unexplained as to wtf the old god really was. A sentient star? Or what?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:20 pm

The cosmology of it confused me too.

Were they orbiting a star? And if so, surely the star's disappearance would inconvenience their living somewhat?
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Right, the whole thing was a little weird (or let's say "unexplained"). Were they on a series of asteroids? There seemed to be no atmosphere, like they were just floating in space, but gravity was normal and they could talk and ride a space moped around with no suit/helmet. And not just an oddity explained away by the use of the tardis. Nobody seemed to be affected, and they had been living there for many thousands of years apparently. And what about the starlight, warmth, and gravity?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

BtEO
Redshirt

Post by BtEO » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:50 pm

I've noticed that a few times, especially since Moffet, where massive plot holes are left ignored in the resolution.

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:36 am

Rorschach wrote:The cosmology of it confused me too.

Were they orbiting a star? And if so, surely the star's disappearance would inconvenience their living somewhat?
I kinda thought that the rings weren't around a star as so much a gas giant like Jupiter.
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:48 am

Well when it went away it made things nearly dark.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:42 am

I like Clara, she seems to have much less baggage so far. Did anyone else notice how often the Doctor was holding his face down and looking up through his eyebrows? It was one of those things that I noticed and then couldn't NOT notice the rest of the episode lol.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

lifedeath
Redshirt

Post by lifedeath » Mon May 20, 2013 9:53 pm

Well, weird to be the only one it seems, but while the first 2/3 of the episode seemed to be strong, the last part, the leaf seemed so simple and shallow. I kept thinking, the writers really try and want me to feel that the chars are having such heavy thinking monologues, but it seemed so banal...

meh...
Give Life a real.....