Makes Sense

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Seir
Redshirt

Makes Sense

Post by Seir » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:34 am

One of the reasons I love BJJ so much, and something that I think needs to be adopted by the martial art community in general.

http://ubbt.squarespace.com/our-blog-re ... ts-to.html
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Makes Sense

Post by Deacon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:00 am

The whole McDojo thing has been a problem for a long time, but I think when you combine a system where these places make money for awarding belts in a society where everyone gets a trophy and self-esteem is more important than accomplishments, you get a promise that anyone can be anything as long as they believe in themselves. So 10 year old kids walk around with a black belt thinking they're hot shit, as though they're any match at all for any adult who would do them harm in a parking lot.

I don't know whether this kind of "confidence" leads to bullying later, but I have a feeling assholes are assholes, and that doesn't seem to be the main issue here. I just wonder how someone can go from nothing to black belt in 5 years as suggested in the link unless they're really hitting it hard continually during that span.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Seir
Redshirt

Re: Makes Sense

Post by Seir » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:20 am

Going from nothing to a black belt in a respectable art *can* happen in five years. However, it's only under extraordinary situations. The only one who comes into mind is BJ Penn, which is why he does carry the nickname "The Prodigy."
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.