Chemotherapy

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Chemotherapy

Post by Deacon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:53 pm

I think you misspelled "thrust" there.

Is that what they sent you the kindle for? To give you something to look at while sitting through sessions?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: Chemotherapy

Post by Rorschach » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:06 am

Finished! Christ almighty, what a long nine weeks it's been. And at the same time, it's whizzed past.
I've had every possible side-effect going and been hospitalised twice with complications and infections. I've really had my money's worth out of the NHS. It was really my own fault for thinking it was going to be easy after the first of the three session wasn't too bad. I was even feeling guilty for not being at work. Boy, did sessions two and three teach me a lesson.

On the plus side, the insurance payout will be something like £1900 - and that's only so far. After Christmas it's likely to be closer to three grand. I think I deserve a holiday. Noone tell Nicola and Cara.

So the chemo has been partially successful in that it's reduced the size of my tumour but has failed to get rid of it completely. This was predicted, it has to be said. Chemo kills fast-growing cells and my tumour seems to be a mixture of them and slow-growing ones. So, after New Year (I hope) I'm going to have a lymph node and the rest of the tumour removed. It's a pretty big operation and - heroically brave as I clearly am - I'm pitting my shants at the prospect. As your lymph nodes are at the back of your abdome, what they do is cut you open from chest to pubic bones, push to one side all your various orgains, burn the thing out and then reassemble.

So that's where I am now. At least (again, hopefully) I'll get to enjoy Christmas and the New Year before they start fucking me about again.
To Let

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:36 pm

That sucks, at least you can enjoy the holidays without a zipper in you. I wish you the best Rors!
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:11 pm

That would be the perfect body piercing to place at the top/bottom of the scar: just the head of a zipper.

Why wouldn't they go in from the back rather than digging through all the zombie food to get there?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Deacon wrote:That would be the perfect body piercing to place at the top/bottom of the scar: just the head of a zipper.
Ha ha ha. That is perfect.
Why wouldn't they go in from the back?
I'm not entirely sure. Something to do with the proximity of the spine maybe. I was kind of hoping for keyhole surgery, but I suppose that would be like trying to thread dozens of different needles all lying at different angles.
FirebirdNC wrote:That sucks, at least you can enjoy the holidays without a zipper in you. I wish you the best Rors!
Yeah, that's what I'm focussing on. Thanks. :)
To Let

Blackjack
Redshirt

Post by Blackjack » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:56 pm

Ah! I just saw this thread, sucks man :(
Jeeves and I wish you the best!

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Rave: Operation not until January the 21st.
Rave: Sick note until April.
Rave: No longer going to remove lymph node but now just the tumour.
Hyper Mega Rave: Keyhole surgery instead of being split from bow to stern. Couple of one-inch incisions rather than a foot of wound. No fucking about with my gizzards. The word is 'phew'.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Chemotherapy

Post by Deacon » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:01 am

That really is excellent news. Here's hoping they get it all!

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:54 am

What Deacon said! So glad they are doing a less invasive surgery it will much improve your recovery time. I hope they scrape all those nasty suckers out. Threaten to cuddle up and watch Brokeback Mtn with them they will pack their bags and run.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:13 am

FirebirdNC wrote:Threaten to cuddle up and watch Brokeback Mtn with them
Well, my surgeon will already have been inside me... :shifty:
To Let

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:43 pm

Rorschach wrote:
FirebirdNC wrote:Threaten to cuddle up and watch Brokeback Mtn with them
Well, my surgeon will already have been inside me... :shifty:
However you choose to pay for his services is up to you no judgement here. . . . well maybe a little. :lol:

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:59 am

Just now seeing this myself. Even when I am around, I don't pay much attention to R&R, but this rattled me a bit. When you were discussing how easy the chemo started, I thought to myself, "Just wait..." I've known a few people who have gone through it, and at some point, it gets you. Then when you mentioned the surgery, I wondered why they didn't just do a back abdominal and inflate it to be able to move around, given the size of the tumor.

This XKCD comes to mind.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:05 am

Martin Blank wrote:it gets you.
Boy, does it. My aunt's a nurse and all through my initial 'chemo is easy' cockiness she kept telling me that eventually it really would be anything but. I thought she was being melodramatic.
I wondered why they didn't just do a back abdominal and inflate it to be able to move around, given the size of the tumor.
I don't know. I'm hoping I won't have to find out. I have a pre-operative assessment on January the eighth where I'll be able to find out all about this latest procedure. I suppose that would have been my chance to ask why they wouldn't do a back abdominal. My op's now on January the twenty-second. I have a sick note until April though. Heh heh heh.
To Let

Terrene
Redshirt

Post by Terrene » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:38 pm

rors no D: good luck with your surgery and recovery

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Chemotherapy

Post by Deacon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:58 pm

Rorschach wrote:My op's now on January the twenty-second.
Ha! I knew the Brits didn't say "22 January" like they wrote their dates!