My house....Holy crap MY house!

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Arres
Redshirt

My house....Holy crap MY house!

Post by Arres » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:59 pm

So, today my house recorded. I am now the proud owner of a house and small piece of property (very small). Nevertheless, I now join the ranks of Hirschof, Deacon, and others. I am part of the landed gentry friends! Because I love everyone here(to one degree or another), I won't insist on the use of Sir or Baronet before Arres, but feel free to pepper it in should you feel like it. ;)
My Fiance and I are moving in in the coming weeks and I have much work to do.
Glee!
Pictures to follow.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

adciv
Redshirt

Re: My house....Holy crap MY house!

Post by adciv » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:12 pm

Ok, Yeoman Arres it is.
Repensum Est Canicula
The most dangerous words from an Engineer: "I have an idea."
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:15 pm

Congratulations to you, sir!

Still in the Pomona area, then? And when you say property, do you mean the land on which the house is built, or a separate plot of land? If the latter, how big and what for, exactly?

Considering the state of the housing industry in general and California in particular, this may be the best time to buy. I chose the worst time to buy, unknowingly: about 6 months before the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury called the bursting housing bubble "the most significant risk to our economy." That's alright, though, because I still wouldn't go back to an apartment...
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

spikegirl7
Redshirt

Post by spikegirl7 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:59 am

Do you plan to chase anyone off your land with a shotgun shouting "This is MY rassa-frassin' land!"

Sorry, couldn't resist. Grats dude.
'What is morality?'
'Judgment to distinguish right and wrong, vision to see the truth, courage to act upon it, dedication to that which is good, integrity to stand by the good at any price.'

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks guys!
Deacon, I mean the property on which the house is situated. Only about 5k square feet, but it's a nice sized front and back yard. Vaguely nearish Pomona. Fontana now. For those in the know, NORTH Fontana. Not the scary part. It has been a good time to buy, and I'm grateful for it. It's a nice little house, and needs a little love but for the most part is in good shape.

It has come with the standard lack of care people shortselling have shown lately (unclean and unkempt) but not any actual destruction. It's been a tiring weekend of moving and cleaning, but the end is in sight.

Probably Spike. This IS the LA area, and when the next set of riots occur, they won't be taking MY T.V!
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:40 am

I've never heard of anyone talking about buying a house and the improved property that the house is on separately, but maybe California is just wacky that way ;)

Congrats either way. Pics are in order, as I'm sure you're aware.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:23 am

Congratulations. And yes, pics please.

Although now they know where to find you.
To Let

Hirschof
Redshirt

Post by Hirschof » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:42 pm

Congrats! Take your time with the house. I about killed myself over the last month trying to do too much.
"Hirschof: So much more than a handy masturbatory image." -Rorschach
"I think Hirschof is neat." -Sophira

RIP RLF SIG Trend: Aug 2004 - Jan 2010.
mah facebook

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:32 pm

That is almost certainly a personal quirk, and not a California thing, Deacon. I doubt anyone else does it that way. I'm told that I'm strange because when people ask me how many square feet it is I'm forced to reply with "3 bedrooms worth?" because I DON'T KNOW. I heard it at some point, and filed it in the "interesting but not very useful after purchase" statistics drawer (read :trash bin) of my brain.

Pics will have to wait until I actually have internet in the silly damn place, as my work blocks all attempts at photo hosting.

The Fiance "and I" have a few specific "pre-HER-moving-in" priorities that need to be managed. The first was (and is) cleaning. Seriously, how do you get WAX on the overhead cupboards in the kitchen?! The second is probably painting, so we don't have to move all our shit twice. After that, we WILL be taking our time, and doing things one at a time. If nothing else, so we don't kill each other.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:45 pm

Avoiding homicide is probably the best choice :lol:

The square footage, by the way, is something you really should be aware of. Not only can it affect homeowner's insurance rates and such, but it's actually useful when you're considering heating and cooling solutions, pest control, air fresheners, flooring, you name it.

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:39 pm

Sure, sure. But it's a thing I can LOOK UP when I need it. You have to organize your brain. It's not something I should always have instantly available like the Konami Code. :shifty:

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:04 pm

Up down back around ABBA.

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:17 pm

what? no.
up up down down left right left right b a (sometimes start). Scrub.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:21 pm

Nope. The arrival of the ABBA is the Waterloo, you dancing queen.

gbaughma
Redshirt

Post by gbaughma » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:10 pm

Welcome to the joys of being a homeowner.

Since we bought our house, we have:
1) remodeled the attic
2) Gutted and remodeled the kitchen
3) Replaced every window in the place (all 25 of them)