Coming out of the fat closet

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:51 pm

I'd say that I don't wear something like half of the clothes I own - T-Shirts and tops mostly - because I think they make me look fat.
In fact, scrub that, I know I look fat. I've seen the photographic evidence.

And yet I don't throw them away or donate them anywhere because I continue to believe, month upon month and year upon year, that I'm going to get in shape even though I never do.

I need to know that I'm not the only person that does this.

Also, give me a hug. If you can wrap your arms around my barrel-like girth.
To Let

Mae Dean
Forum Goddess
Forum Goddess

Post by Mae Dean » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:52 pm

I think pretty much everyone in that situation does the same thing, honestly. I still have medium t-shirts and a few dress shirts that dont fit worth a damn, but I still keep them around because i know it's POSSIBLE for me to get into them again. Hell, last year just by walking 3 miles a day at lunch, I lost 20 pounds, and shirts started to fit again. So honestly, keeping them around isn't exactly a vain thing.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:27 pm

I do the same thing. I will never be my high school weight again, I hope, as I was too skinny, but I *can* lose the man boobs and belly (to a certain extent--my DNA means I will have to be at an extremely low body fat level to be rid of it altogether).

I like to think I'm not "fat" but it fluctuates a little, and some angles/poses/faces are very unflattering. I can certainly do with a lower body far percentage, preferably replaced mostly by muscle. I could be hot to women and intimidating to men, but I've kind of made peace with the idea that unless something big changes in my life, I won't be seeing washboard abs and rippling pecs.

That said, I've just quit smoking (been about a month now), and I'd like to start getting into better shape with the whole 100 push-ups challenge and should start running trails more often. I think if I can run a 10k in less than an hour, I'll be satisfied.

I'm 30 now, and I realize the days of easy weight loss and eating whatever I want are behind me...

So don't give up on the shirts. Just change your habits around. Eat better and smaller portions. You'll get there :)
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

kaiju01
Redshirt

Re: Coming out of the fat closet

Post by kaiju01 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:30 am

I'ma just leave this here...

Jezebel
Soapy's Choice

Post by Jezebel » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:50 am

I have about 15-20lbs that I would like to lose, after losing 25ish last year. I actually just started a Biggest Loser style weight loss contest with some buds yesterday! I find that having someone to "compete" with really helps to motivate me.

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Post by sneaky ninja » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:32 am

kaiju01 wrote:I'ma just leave this here...

*Omnomnomnomnom*

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:01 am

Whether he does cannot be gleaned from the quoted sentence. How'd you get there?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:08 am

Huh?
Tops aren't gender specific. At least not in English. You wacky Germans. You probably call them tittencoverich or something.

Deacon, I've signed up for the 10k again this year. Clearly doing it before hasn't made a massive impact on my general fitness, but I do think it makes you a bit fitter for a few months before and after. You should be able to do it in under an hour. I've beat the hour twice and that's with walking quite a lot of the way when my seemingly unavoidable stitch sets in. And you've got miles longer legs than me.
Well done on the smoking, by the way. I'm back onto my no booze during the week regime. I could live with my belly as I can suck that in, but the slight beer boobs are kiling me.
Thursday is dry day four. I think I know why Fun Rorschach was Fun.

Jez, what are you doing? Just dieting or what? I'm really struggling to do all of the things I need to do to lose weight.
To Let

Hirschof
Redshirt

Post by Hirschof » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:27 pm

Deacon wrote:Just change your habits around. Eat better and smaller portions.
Yes. Little changes in daily diet along with exercise can make a huge difference. Drastic changes are more likely to fail and result in falling back into bad habits.

I waited way too long to get back into shape. Had to buy new sets of clothes when I went from XL back down to medium.
"Hirschof: So much more than a handy masturbatory image." -Rorschach
"I think Hirschof is neat." -Sophira

RIP RLF SIG Trend: Aug 2004 - Jan 2010.
mah facebook

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:30 pm

That's one thing I'm happy about: even in my best possible shape, I'll still be wearing XL. I'm just not that far off from my optimal size when it comes to clothes. I'd wear a size Large undershirt maybe, but that's about it.

Jezebel
Soapy's Choice

Post by Jezebel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:31 am

Rors, I'm mainly doing the whole boring diet and exercise routine. I have a calorie range (1200-1400) that I am sticking to, and I'm trying to get at LEAST 30 mins of cardio during the week. I'm recovering from being sick so my exercise has been pretty mellow. Typically I'll do 60 mins on the elliptical machine 5x/week and some girly dance routines. I'm only weighing myself once a week, so I'll know if it's been working on Tuesday! I expect better results for week two since I will hopefully be feeling well enough to really push myself in the gym!

Food wise I'm hungry somewhat often, but not starving by any means. I eat 3 meals a day and have between 2-3 snacks. I eat a lot of protein and that helps keep me full and satisfied. Would I be happier if I could eat cheeseburgers and milkshakes all day long? Perhaps, but I'm not miserable either. Like I mentioned earlier, I lost about 25lbs last year and didn't have any issues keeping it off.

I took before pictures, when I reach goal I miiiiiiiight post before and after. :)

Sophira
Jezzy's Belle

Post by Sophira » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:07 am

I was pretty happy about 11 pounds ago. I'm Big-Losering with Jez and so far I keep eating pizza and cupcakes. Come on, Liz, get your fat ass in gear!
<Arc_Orion> And I give rides to dudes!
<kaiju01> Yeah, I'm kind of a dick.
<Hirschof>Long from now, when the Earth is charred and barren, the only things left on the surface will be cockroaches and the continuous bickering between Fuggle and Deacon. :)
<Deacon> I'm not, however, played by a homosexual child star.

Jezebel
Soapy's Choice

Post by Jezebel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:37 am

Ugh, I just tried to do some wicked dance moves and I can't go move than 20 seconds without having to cough. Maybe later tonight. :( It's annoying because I WANT to exercise but I just really can't right now.

FireAza
Redshirt

Post by FireAza » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:35 am

The only problem is, when you do go down from a large to a medium, then your large clothing doesn't fit anymore! That's what I found when I lost weight, now I have to re-buy my clothes so they fit properly, unless I want to look like I'm wearing a bed sheet.
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:47 am

This is why it's important not to buy underwear you've tried on with an erection.
To Let