6 months of hell later...

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
collegestudent22
Redshirt

Re: 6 months of hell later...

Post by collegestudent22 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:08 pm

4 weeks of military training, sleeping in a tent for two of them, never getting more than 7 hours of "sleep time", and running around non-stop when awake. Yeah, that was my life two summers ago. Being able to go home, release some stress with a good dinner and sleeping in your own bed, would have made it so much easier. And that was just basic military training - not on the level of the Rangers/Seals/PJs.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:15 am

Slow down there sparky. Let's not call your four weeks of camping "Basic Military Training." By the time you've finished OCS/TBS I'll let you get away with that kind of silliness. Even Air Force "Basic Training" is 8.5 weeks long.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:27 am

Arres wrote:Slow down there sparky. Let's not call your four weeks of camping "Basic Military Training." By the time you've finished OCS/TBS I'll let you get away with that kind of silliness.
It was, effectively, the "field" part of OCS, with the leadership training portions spread out over the next two years of school. There will be no additional "basic" that I will have to go through - although there will still be tech school and other training throughout my time in, of course.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

jimkatai
Redshirt

Post by jimkatai » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:47 am

collegestudent22 wrote:It was, effectively, the "field" part of OCS, with the leadership training portions spread out over the next two years of school. There will be no additional "basic" that I will have to go through - although there will still be tech school and other training throughout my time in, of course.
Is that officer school? Fuckin' Christ! Shoulda went that route.

Congrats, though, Nukin'. Any dedicated work towards one specified goal is admirable and sure to add to the enrichment of your life. My hat is off to you, good sir.
Stand in awe of my creativity

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:00 am

jimkatai wrote:
collegestudent22 wrote:It was, effectively, the "field" part of OCS, with the leadership training portions spread out over the next two years of school. There will be no additional "basic" that I will have to go through - although there will still be tech school and other training throughout my time in, of course.
Is that officer school? Fuckin' Christ! Shoulda went that route.
ROTC, which is slightly different - the "already graduated college" OTS for the Air Force is 12 weeks, although for the most part it isn't as strenuous. You have to write papers and briefings and such, which means that you get at least some time to yourself - plus, later in the 12 weeks you can leave during the day - my cousin went that route and he visited my parents at least three times during the time he was there.

jimkatai
Redshirt

Post by jimkatai » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:41 pm

collegestudent22 wrote:ROTC, which is slightly different - the "already graduated college" OTS for the Air Force is 12 weeks, although for the most part it isn't as strenuous. You have to write papers and briefings and such, which means that you get at least some time to yourself - plus, later in the 12 weeks you can leave during the day - my cousin went that route and he visited my parents at least three times during the time he was there.
No offense to you (only because I don't know you, not because this doesn't apply to you, although it may not) but no wonder people hate on officers. That shit sounds like cake and all I ever heard from officers was how superior their training was to ours and yada-yada-yada. For some reason, I thought they went through a harder version of basic with extended leadership classes or something akin to that. Probably watched too much Officer and a Gentleman.
Stand in awe of my creativity

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:58 am

The training is more leadership based, and the class portion of the OTS is no cakewalk (cramming 4 years of college level courses into 12 or 13 weeks can be a bit difficult). But I agree, the "Basic Training" part? Much more difficult for enlisted personnel. It's twice as long - even I can tell that physically it would be tougher. Probably mentally, too, although being asked to lead while under stimulated wartime conditions can be pretty stressful. I don't know the specifics of the standard AF BMT. I know a few people I can ask - prior-E's that went through both.

Although, I would point out that the military academies are different - they are a lot more taxing (the first year or two involves a lot of stupid "training" - essentially a reduced BMT with college going on at the same time), but then it isn't so much training as "look how much inane shit we can make you do". Essentially, future officers on a power trip, plus the inertia of "that's how it was done when we went through it".

And it sounds like you had some pretty shitty officers, IMO.