6 months of hell later...

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Nukinblackmage
Redshirt

6 months of hell later...

Post by Nukinblackmage » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:19 pm

6 months ago I started an academy class to get my basic peace officer certification. This morning I took my state licensing exam and passed my exam with a 92. I'm now a certified Texas Peace Officer. WOOT!

What does this mean? Absolutely nothing. It just means that I get to say "Hi, I'm a certified peace officer!" and whip out a nice little card that say so. But it does mean that I can go apply to any law enforcement agency in the state of Texas for a job. For it to really mean anything someone needs to pick up my commission (read: hire me). None the less, I'm excited! 800 hours of class work, 40 written tests, something like 10 practical tests, and getting a bunch of certifications (including pepper spray) over those 6 months. Not to mention following a strict uniform policy and writing a minimum of a half page of notes for every hour of instruction. I have three 4" 3-ring binders full of notes and handouts.

And now, I'm going to just fucking relax for a while.

Edit: Graduation is on Friday in the State Capital at 10am. Pictures will follow once I get them from the parents.
By Fire We Are Purged
Damned women and their emotions! -FireAza
"Luck is a word the ignorant use to define their ignorance. They are blind to the patters of force that drive the universe, and they name their blindness science, or clearheadedness, or pragmatism; when they stumble into walls or fall off cliffs, they name their clumsiness luck." - Tan'elKoth in Blade of Tyshalle

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Re: 6 months of hell later...

Post by FirebirdNC » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:24 pm

Congrats on having all your work pay off! Good luck with the job search :).
~Insert clever bon mot here~

StruckingFuggle
Redshirt

Post by StruckingFuggle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Congrats, bro!

... are you even still sober? :P
"He who lives by the sword dies by my arrow."

"In your histories, there are continual justifications for all manner of hellish actions. Claims of nobility and heritage and honor to cover up every bit of genocide, assassination, and massacre. At least the Horde is honest in their naked lust for power."

Arc Orion
Redshirt

Post by Arc Orion » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:14 pm

Peace Officer? So... you're like a hippy now? "Make love, not war" sort of thing?

OH GOD, PLEASE DON'T TASE ME!

Also, congratulations!
I need fewer water.

Nukinblackmage
Redshirt

Post by Nukinblackmage » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:08 am

For clarification:

A police officer is a peace officer hired by a city to enforce the laws of the United States, the State of Texas and the City they reside in (City Ordinances).

A peace officer is many things. Peace Officers are described in Article 2.12 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, and there's 36 different things a peace officer can be. They include: Police officer, Sheriff and their deputies, Constable and their deputies (Constables mostly serve civil process: eviction notices and divorce papers being the two most people would recognize), arson investigators, the Fire Marshal, investigators of the Commissioner of Insurance.
By Fire We Are Purged
"Luck is a word the ignorant use to define their ignorance. They are blind to the patters of force that drive the universe, and they name their blindness science, or clearheadedness, or pragmatism; when they stumble into walls or fall off cliffs, they name their clumsiness luck." - Tan'elKoth in Blade of Tyshalle

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Post by sneaky ninja » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:41 am

YAY! Congratulations! Where are you going to look for work?

Nukinblackmage
Redshirt

Post by Nukinblackmage » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:07 am

Arc, I'm not going to tase you because that made me laugh. Plus I'm not Taser certified...yet.

Sneaky: I'm applying to Cedar Park Police Department (waiting to talk to a background investigator), Kyle Police Department, Hays County Sheriff's Office and Buda Police. At least right now.
By Fire We Are Purged

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:21 am

Buda. Oh man, you have to be an officer for buda.
"BUDA PD! Cleanse your Karma by opening up! The door and your chakras!"
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:04 pm

It's generally pronounced BYOO-duh (as in the first syllable of "Beautiful").

There are lots of little townships where peace officers are looking for commissions but have been flunkies such that the only ones who'll take them are these little places that are unholy speed traps. They line their budget with dollars stolen from innocent drivers.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

jimkatai
Redshirt

Post by jimkatai » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Deacon wrote:They line their budget with dollars looted from the corpses of gullible travelers
There. That's the Texas I know and love.
Stand in awe of my creativity

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:24 pm

Deacon wrote:It's generally pronounced BYOO-duh (as in the first syllable of "Beautiful").
Tomayto, Tahmahto sir.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:23 pm

6 months of hell, eh? Ask the PJ's in training at Lackland about their one week of hell...
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Nukinblackmage
Redshirt

Post by Nukinblackmage » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:59 pm

Yes yes, I'm sure Marine Recon, Delta Force, SEALS, and pretty much every branch's basic training is harder than my police academy, but it still wasn't a cakewalk.
By Fire We Are Purged

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:19 am

If you ever got to go home and sleep in your own bed, even once, during the weeks of training, it was a cakewalk.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Post by sneaky ninja » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:26 am

Are you speaking from experience?