Good memories of simpler times.

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Good memories of simpler times.

Post by sneaky ninja » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:23 pm

It's piss-pouring rain today and I left the house without a raincoat, umbrella, or proper footwear. That was my bad, so walking from the bus stop to the office jumping over streams of water and darting from eavesdrop to eavesdrop had to be done without complaint. The office isn't particularly warm first thing on Monday morning, either, but that's to be expected. I slowly prepared my tea once my opening duties were complete, but my head's not at work today, and as I was stirring the honey into the water and watching it swirl around, my mind began to wander.

When I was a teenager living in Santiago, the winter passed right by us. It never got much colder than 10 degrees (Celsius), which seemed freezing at the time, I'm embarrassed to admit, and June to August were about the only months we'd see rain. The rain was impressive, maybe just because it was so rare, and I loved it. On especially bad days when it wouldn't stop pouring, school would be canceled. This seems hilarious to me now, but the infrastructure of Santiago was really not designed to handle heavy rainfall, so I suppose it makes sense. And the cancellation notice typically came first thing in the morning before we were expecting it, but after we were already awake and ready to go. These were my absolute favourite days.

I'd roll the estufa (a gas-powered space heater? Anyway, we didn't have central heating) into the family room and I'd yank my comforter off my bed and wrap myself up in it and I'd curl up on the couch with a cup of hot chocolate and marshmallows. I then proceeded to play Nintendo 64 for the remainder of the day. Sometimes my brother and sister would join me, other times it was just me and the dog. Sometimes we'd rent a new game, more often I'd try to obtain the few last stars which still taunted me in Mario 64. No matter how it all went down, I spent my day warm and happy.

It's different now, obviously because they don't just cancel work on account of rain (I did have a few university classes that were cut short so we could go out and enjoy the sun, however - says a bit about how rare that is) and I'm an adult with bills to pay, so it's not like I can just sleep in till 9 and saunter on into work whenever I damn well feel like it. Of the ten years I've been back in Canada, I've spent about 7 or 8 winters in Vancouver and every successive winter is worse than the last. I finally caved this year and started taking anti-depressants because I just don't believe I can survive another eternal 8 months of the dreary greyness that envelopes this beautiful city. The sky filled with clouds last night and it's raining down on us with a vicious feeling of revenge, after what's been up until now a mild and sunny first month of autumn. Rainfall like this heralds the official end of "nice" weather, and bears at least are smart enough to hide out until May, but the rest of us go about our daily lives like chumps. It's cold, it's wet, and the sky is colourless.

But I'm not despairing quite yet. It hasn't quite gripped me strong enough to sour my memories of a lazy, misspent youth. I'm a minute away from preparing my third cup of tea and it's no hot chocolate with marshmallows, but who knows what memories will be conjured up with this one. I really can't complain on such a miserable day when I know full well that life has been pretty awesome so far.

tnitnetny
Redshirt

Re: Good memories of simpler times.

Post by tnitnetny » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:58 pm

On your way home, stop at Tim Hortons for some hot chocolate and spend the evening in playing video games. Days like that deserve evenings doing whatever the hell you feel like doing. :D

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:53 am

There's a scene in one of the Care Bear movies. Or it might even have been about the Care Bear Cousins, I dunno, and it's like a montage (montage!) of the little tykes growing from Care Cubs to Care Adult Whatever and one of them puts his much-loved stuffed aminal into a box because he's growing up and it's sad but then at the end of the song, you see him sneaking it back out again because he's not quite ready to let it go. Man, I cried so hard.
This post kind of makes me feel the same way.
To Let

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:09 am

I think you were thinking of Toy Story 3, Rorsch?

You know, I could really go for hot chocolate right about now.

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Post by sneaky ninja » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:45 pm

Awwww, Rors.....that's so cute! I can't stop grinning :)

Anyway, I opted for the English Toffee cappuccino....it's all sugar water anyway, right?

BusteeQT
Redshirt

Post by BusteeQT » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:22 am

Rorschach wrote:There's a scene in one of the Care Bear movies. Or it might even have been about the Care Bear Cousins, I dunno, and it's like a montage (montage!) of the little tykes growing from Care Cubs to Care Adult Whatever and one of them puts his much-loved stuffed aminal into a box because he's growing up and it's sad but then at the end of the song, you see him sneaking it back out again because he's not quite ready to let it go. Man, I cried so hard.
This post kind of makes me feel the same way.
I remember that one. I think its technically the second of the Care Bears movies. The three kids are at summer camp and some evil thing takes over the camp. I loved that movie when I was a kid.
Thanks to Hirschof for making my sig

JermCool
Redshirt

Post by JermCool » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:39 am

It seems that every October, there's a smell in the air. Maybe it's someone lighting a fireplace, or maybe just the smell of the leaves turning. But for me, it's the smell of October and Autumn and Halloween. And I love it. I want to grab a blanket, snuggle on the couch watching cheesy movies and eat the best of the Halloween candy before I give it away to the neighborhood kids.
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Post by sneaky ninja » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Yes! It smells like Autumn! I totally know what you mean, but nobody ever gets what I'm talking about! :D

Psychologist
Redshirt

Post by Psychologist » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:35 am

You could always come down to sunny Australia for a visit if you want to escape the dreary grey winter skies of the North ;)

FireAza
Redshirt

Post by FireAza » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:38 am

Sunny Australia my foot! I just keeps god-damned raining here!
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

Psychologist
Redshirt

Post by Psychologist » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:35 am

this is true.. but we do have our sunny moments lol, even if they are like over 40 degrees celcius ;)

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:22 am

Also, it's full of racists. If it's not black-and-white-minstrel this, it's 'smelly locals' that.
To Let

Psychologist
Redshirt

Post by Psychologist » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:41 am

Im sorry mate thats pretty naive to say that. Sure you'll find racists in Aus, but if you look around so does pretty much any other country in the world.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:01 pm

Decrying other nationalities, eh?

Racist.
To Let

JermCool
Redshirt

Post by JermCool » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Psychologist wrote:Im sorry mate thats pretty naive to say that. Sure you'll find racists in Aus, but if you look around so does pretty much any other country in the world.
I forgot how much I detest Australians. Except Aza. He's still my little furry-in-waiting.
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach