Registration experiment: Newly Registered Users

General news, rules, and information about the forum, the IRC (chat) channel, and maybe a few extra things beside. If you're new to the forums, please come here first.
Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things
Omnicode: sxy cm163 kg76 eso.#_glasses sp= Ag1974.October anE hdd Zot RlM Kd1y PeC&C FHb IN14 PrPython(3)^(7)&C(2)^(5)&C++(2)^(7)&JavaScript(2)^(5)&Ruby(1)^(5)&PHP(2)^(5) GM-6DN LAEN(9)&ES(2)^(6)&EO(1)^(7) Crc(6).Security MvD BA! PlM

Registration experiment: Newly Registered Users

Post by Martin Blank » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:11 am

In an attempt to address the signature spam that we've seen recently, I've implemented the Newly Registered Users group. Beginning now, all new users are automatically added to this group. For their first few posts, they cannot create a signature or view, create, or comment on weblogs. Furthermore, their posts are moderated, so they will not be visible to normal readers or (more importantly) search engines without staff approval. We will have our own checks on the details of the post prior to allowing them, and strongly suspicious users may be banned without warning.

Once a user reaches the allowed post count (based on the number of released posts), the group will automatically change to Registered Users, and the user will become a member of the community like any other.

Hopefully, this will cut down on teh Stupid that's been dripping around here.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things
Omnicode: sxy cm163 kg76 eso.#_glasses sp= Ag1974.October anE hdd Zot RlM Kd1y PeC&C FHb IN14 PrPython(3)^(7)&C(2)^(5)&C++(2)^(7)&JavaScript(2)^(5)&Ruby(1)^(5)&PHP(2)^(5) GM-6DN LAEN(9)&ES(2)^(6)&EO(1)^(7) Crc(6).Security MvD BA! PlM

Re: Registration experiment: Newly Registered Users

Post by Martin Blank » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:05 am

In the four days since this went into place, two spammers have been found and blocked. Several others users have had about a dozen posts between them approved, and at least one is on the cusp of graduating from the Newly Registered Users group.

I'm contemplating some minor changes, but this does seem to be working in general. Thank you to the new users for their patience.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.