after a year of being hopelessly wishy-washy...

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Sophira
Jezzy's Belle

after a year of being hopelessly wishy-washy...

Post by Sophira » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:47 am

So, I have decided to quit school.

Background: I've been going for 2.5 years at night, one class per semester including summer, for a B.S. in Comp Sci. It's not particularly hard, mentally, but it is very hard in other ways. Back when I started, I had a handful of close friends, no boyfriend, sporadically dated, and my job wasn't half as demanding.

Now, however, I have a lot of friends, some of which are drifting which way sucks, a boyfriend, my job is twice what it used to be (unfortunately not in pay), among other things. I don't get down south of Dallas to see my family as much as I did, I never hardly get to see Jez since I moved to the north part of DFW, and it feels like anytime I'm not sleeping, eating, working, or going to a specific function, I'm doing homework or studying.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have 5-6 years to go. I can't afford to quit my job and go full-time and I can't take more classes at night.

So, I'm done. After I'm done with Physics I, that's that. I'm going to just study for certifications and get on with my career. The B.S. was a cool idea, but just not viable.

sigh.
<Arc_Orion> And I give rides to dudes!
<kaiju01> Yeah, I'm kind of a dick.
<Hirschof>Long from now, when the Earth is charred and barren, the only things left on the surface will be cockroaches and the continuous bickering between Fuggle and Deacon. :)
<Deacon> I'm not, however, played by a homosexual child star.

Arc Orion
Redshirt

Re: after a year of being hopelessly wishy-washy...

Post by Arc Orion » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:57 am

Well hey, it was worth a shot. I imagine you've at least gained quite a bit of knowledge from it, even if you didn't get a degree out of it. Ultimately, you've got to put your priorities in line and it's good to see that you're doing that instead of trying to tackle everything you might want to. Shows maturity or some such. Not sure what that is, but I hear all the kids talking about it, so it's gotta be cool. :)
I need fewer water.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:53 am

Hey, life changes. At least you've kept yourself busy in a productive manner while it's done so.
I'm very much an advocate of anything that keeps our young people out of trouble these days.
Medicinal wine from a teaspoon, then beer from a bottle
To Let

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:03 am

Sophira wrote:I never hardly get to see Jez since I moved to the north part of DFW
Much of this has to do with the lazy way Texans talk about driving. "OMG, it's like 20 minutes away! It's so far!"

Really? My work, friends, and favorite restaurant are 20 minutes away, and they're short drives. I understand that for Jez, a 20-mile trip may take three buses, two trains, a pack mule, and an ancestral guide, but at least she has an excuse. People with cars in Texas have no excuse. I've been in the midst of mid-week downtown Dallas traffic. Yeah, it's slow, but it's not LA. Texans whine too much about distance in a state that takes half a day to drive across.
I'm going to just study for certifications and get on with my career.
Try to make some time when I'm out there at the end of the month. It will make it easier if I'm only giving one dissertation on the proper certification path. And I can try to talk you into tasting some fine Scotch.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:00 pm

Martin Blank wrote:Texans whine too much about distance in a state that takes half a day to drive across.
Heh, it's because it's so big that we get tired of driving long distances. You're just used to it because you're in the giant continuous mass of humanity known as so-cal. Besides, according to Google the trip from El Paso to Bon Wier is more like 15 hours of driving (plus whatever stops you make along the way). That's a long-ass trip... Same for Stratford to Brownsville...

EDIT: To be fair, the trip from south of San Diego to Dorris, CA, is 13 hours, which isn't exactly short.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:09 am

When you're driving from Dallas to Houston, time is a valid concern. However, I've heard on many occasions people complaining because the place is an entire 20 minutes away. Good grief! Don't forget to bring overnight clothes! :P
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

bagheadinc
Bay Harbor Butcher

Post by bagheadinc » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:22 am

I know people who have a 2hr commute to work five days a week.

Sophira
Jezzy's Belle

Post by Sophira » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:35 am

Martin Blank wrote:
Sophira wrote:I never hardly get to see Jez since I moved to the north part of DFW
Much of this has to do with the lazy way Texans talk about driving. "OMG, it's like 20 minutes away! It's so far!"
I see you've met Richelle! Yeah, most recently, the problem was that I had taken the bus to work like a good little Earthizen, and then didn't have a way to get home from the bar Jez was going to, had I gone. *fist shake at DART*
Try to make some time when I'm out there at the end of the month. It will make it easier if I'm only giving one dissertation on the proper certification path. And I can try to talk you into tasting some fine Scotch.
I'm doubtful about the Scotch, because I had some whiskey before of varying kinds and I greatly disliked it. But for you? Okay.

I'm currently reading about CPUs.
<Arc_Orion> And I give rides to dudes!
<kaiju01> Yeah, I'm kind of a dick.
<Hirschof>Long from now, when the Earth is charred and barren, the only things left on the surface will be cockroaches and the continuous bickering between Fuggle and Deacon. :)
<Deacon> I'm not, however, played by a homosexual child star.