The Long, Slow Death of a Twenty-Something

There are many talented people in our community. Some share their talents through word, others through the visual medium. Share your work with us, and fine tune your technique with our constructive criticism.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: The Long, Slow Death of a Twenty-Something

Post by Deacon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:32 pm

I didn't say it was cheap or easy. But it is a problem, and it's not just a technical weakness. If he's really that plugged into the film community, and the entire community holds him up as a golden god the way he says it does, I imagine he can go ahead and put on his producer hat and find someone to make the audio less of a jarring hurdle. Or if not, that's fine too, but the actors have to know this and enunciate as needed and modulate their voice levels as appropriate. If they're supposed to be angry and put punctuation on words, if they're supposed to be shouting, they must look as though they're shouting without actually hollering the words out. If they're supposed to be whispering, they're going to have talk in a stage whisper, not a real whisper. It's called acting and stagecraft.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

larryfilmmaker
Redshirt

Post by larryfilmmaker » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:30 pm

What the cat avatar said is half-correct and half-BS designed to sound like it means something.
Most sound clean up starts next week. Not all images, fx, greenscreening, or audio in the trailer is as it will be when the film is done. The difference between the two mediums is worth mentioning, but the measures taken for actors when making the jump doesn't need to be so incredibly drastic or dramatic. Levels can are are adjusted when recording to allow for different volumes from the actors. They don't have to "act loud" while being quiet. It works sometimes but it usually ends up coming off as retarded as it sounds like it would.

Sound is, in fact, a tricky beast to master just as Deacon, is, in fact, still a wonderfully nice person without a hint of bitterness.

Shipped the rough cut off to LA to our company president and to an executive producer whose job it is to groom these things for sale. In the meantime, editing continues. Pretty exciting.
I think an artist has always to be out of step with his time.
- Orson Welles

larryfilmmaker
Redshirt

Post by larryfilmmaker » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:12 pm

- Orson Welles

larryfilmmaker
Redshirt

Post by larryfilmmaker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:25 pm

For what it's worth, we got this one distributed. It'll be in stores by the end of the year.
- Orson Welles