Rantettes & Ravettes - the show must go on....

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
The Cid
Redshirt

Re: Rantettes & Ravettes - the show must go on....

Post by The Cid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:09 pm

That's a tough call, Deacon, and we have to go to the judges. Power stayed out from 10:30 or so on Friday night through 6:45 on Saturday evening.

Rant: My apartment has electric everything. So no power meant I was down to walls and running water as far as shelter is concerned.
Rave: I've decided my favorite thing about the iPhone is how ubiquitous the chargers are. I was able to charge my phone through my laptop, and then later in my car. Essentially, everything that generates power in any way is capable of providing a charge to my phone. Apps schmapps, this is the most useful feature I've ever had in a cellular phone.
Rave: Guess what? Shoveling snow for two hours generates enough body heat to warm someone up who has been sitting in an increasingly cold apartment for a while.
Rant: No, I didn't shovel snow so I could go somewhere that had power. "Going somewhere" wasn't really an option. I dug my car out simply so I could turn my car on and sit in it to charge my phone and warm up.
Rant: Couldn't seem to convince one of my neighbors why I was digging out the back of my car just so I could sit inside of it. That is, until he heard on the news about an hour later about people getting carbon monoxide poisoning sitting in cars with blocked exhaust.
Rant: Did I need to do as much digging as I did? No, but I also didn't need to back in to my parking space on the day of a blizzard. How did I not realize that snow would pile up along the fence behind my car? The back end was inside a snow drift I had to remove.
Rave: You know what's awesome? Heated seats are awesome.
Rave: The neighbors parked on each side of my car came out to shovel while I was out there. Both were friendly enough, and all three of us were smart enough to throw our snow into another building's yard rather than back into the parking lot.
Rant: Other people, however, had created what seemed to be a solid wall of discarded snow that made half of the parking lot cut off from the other half.
Rave: ...Until some bored maniac in a Subaru forced his way through and made a path. Don't know where he thought he was going--there were no spots down that way--but it was awesome nonetheless.
Rave: The scene in the parking lot in general was pretty funny. By sundown, there were four of us hanging out in our respective parked cars, charging our phones and trying to relax.
Rave: Managed to save my dairy products and perishables by sticking them in the freezer between a couple of freeze packs.
Rant: Because of the storm, I missed a Zappa Plays Zappa concert a friend of mine and I were planning to go to Providence and see.
Rant: Got into a minor argument with the plow guys yesterday when they asked me to move my car and my response was "there's nowhere to move it." Also, the spot I shoveled out for myself was better than the hockey rink they left behind.

So that's seven raves, seven rants, no lost food, less than 24 hours without power, still had some form of coffee despite the power outage, always had a line of communication/source of entertainment. I'd say I came out on top in a split decision. Not as much of a whitewash as 2003 (biggest snowfall in local history, nobody missed a beat doing anything) or 2005 (hurricane force winds, lightning, I went to a party), but another tally for the total nevertheless.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:22 pm

More of a body blow than a knock-out punch.

Were cellular data services up and running during that time, at least? Or was power out to the towers, too? Even if they were operational I'd be surprised if they weren't saturated...
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:21 pm

I didn't notice any particular trouble with my reception. Smooth sailing as far as that was concerned.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

thejerseyminx
Redshirt

Post by thejerseyminx » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Rant:taking an anti inflammatory every day and still being achey and stiff while it makes me feel ill.
Rant: haven't been taking it long enough to definitively say it won't help.
Rave: we get to spend the weekend at my boyfriend's house this weekend. Wee!
Lord, what FOOLS these mortals be! - Puck
What a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive.

I sold my soul to Rock 'n' Roll, can I have yours?
My Wish List
Alannah's Wish List

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:01 pm

Cid,
I love that while digging your car out of several hundreds pounds of ice, you were trying to save your dairy products by putting them in the freezer between a couple of ounces of ice packs. Next time, just dig out a shelf behind your car ;)
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Koeniou
Redshirt

Post by Koeniou » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:46 pm

Rant: woke up early because of a nightmare
Rave: at least I don't remember any of the details? Still woke up sweating with my heart racing though.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:30 pm

Sounds like maybe a terrifyingly sexy dream, perhaps? :)

All the signs are there. Well, not all of them, but the ones you mentioned don't rule it out.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Koeniou
Redshirt

Post by Koeniou » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:24 pm

The general feeling of being terrified when I woke up is a pretty big clue. Still feeling a bit rattled.

I've never had a sexy dream that I remember, and nightmares are starting to come a bit more frequently.

But thanks for trying :)

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:08 am

I had a dream I was making love to a giant marshmallow once, then I woke up and my pillow was pregnant.

Wait...
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:46 am

What, sex isn't terrifying for you, Canoe?

Koeniou
Redshirt

Post by Koeniou » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:36 am

In general, my attitude towards sex is: sex is fun, play with it :)

The only time I found it terrifying is when I used to have nightmares years ago about my then fiancé's father raping me. That was mainly to do with having to go through his trial and hear the awful things he'd done though. Having to visit him was the worst. Thankfully, those dreams stopped after I killed him in one of my dreams -about a year after I broke up with Paul. I don't ask HOW my mind works, but I think that's pretty awesome.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Jesus. Heavy. He was a rapist?

Rant: Pumped out of the Champions' League 3-0 by Juventus last night.
To Let

Koeniou
Redshirt

Post by Koeniou » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:20 am

I believe so. My ex swears he was innocent (died of cancer last year, so was), but I guess it's hard to think of your own father that way.

Rave: having a great Valentines Day/birthday with Bane :)

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:25 am

It's your birthday? Why isn't the forum telling me this? Happy Birthday!

Gie 'im wan fae me!
To Let

Koeniou
Redshirt

Post by Koeniou » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:35 am

It's my birthday next Wdnesday, but because I'll be in the USA we decided to combine Valentines and my birthday :)