Negativistic Trekkies....*ugh*

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
User avatar
Shadowknight1
Redshirt
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:14 am
Gender: Male

Negativistic Trekkies....*ugh*

Post by Shadowknight1 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:18 am

Okay, I'm a Trekkie. I've been a Trekkie for almost my whole life. And quite frankly, I'm tired of all the negativity being directed towards the new Star Trek movie and JJ Abrams. Here's the bottom line. The current Star Trek fandom is growing older and not really attracting too many new fans. Additional Next Generation movies, or Deep Space Nine, or Voyager movies would not help. In fact, it would probably be the last nail in the coffin, if you'll pardon the expression. The average moviegoer wouldn't have the "historical" knowledge of the characters in order to go into a Next Gen, DS9, or Voyager movie without being confused as all get out. So. How to address this? Simple. The most well known Trek crew is that of the original 1701 commanded by James T Kirk. Go back to that past. Go back and do something NEW with it. And those who say that there should be something in the "Lost Era" between Star Trek 6 and The Next Generation...that's fine for those of us who know the history behind the Enterprise. No, the Lost Era is more suited to a new series. This movie is being made exactly how it should be. This movie is to Star Trek like what Casino Royale was to James Bond, or Batman Begins was to that movie series. Like many Trek fans, I was skeptical at first. But I was also skeptical when I heard that Heath Ledger was going to be the Joker. And I feel confident that Star Trek will blow my skepticisms out of the water just like Heath Ledger's performance did. And quite frankly, the fans who criticise the "canonicity" of the new movie being an alternate timeline as being an excuse for re-writing everything...So f-ing what? That's what alternate timelines have always done. And the design of the Enterprise is gorgeous. It blends the style of the TOS and TMP Enterprises with each other and make it sleeker, more powerful, and faster looking. And those who say the engineering hull is too far forward...no. That is wrong. If anything, it's right where it should be. The saucer has been pulled back on the neck, that's all. And though the engineering hull is a bit smaller, that doesn't harm the ship's center of gravity. In fact, because the saucer and engines have been moved back and forward, respectively, the ship's center of gravity is closer together. Also, finally the neck connecting the two hulls has been given some substance. The original looked like a nice barrage of weapons fire would split the ship in half. In any case, from what I've seen thus far, this movie is doing what it should do. It's paying respect to what came before as well as bringing enough "newness" to it to attract new fans. For example, my 15 year old sister has hated Star Trek for almost her whole life, but she saw the trailer for this movie and said that she really wanted to see it. She even said she would have gone with me on Christmas if it had still been on track for that release date(damn you Paramount). A friend of mine said that it looked pretty interesting. And one of my college professors who has been a fan longer than me is probably just as excited about the movie as I am. Also naysayers...it's Majel Barret Roddenberry's last performance in Star Trek. It deserves a chance just because of that, right? In closing, I want to bring up a certain philosophy from Star Trek, brought to us by the Vulcans. Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. I think that sums this film up right there. Give it a chance before you tear it to shreds. I know I'll be there opening day. I know that if Playmates doesn't screw it up, I'll buy their replica of the Enterprise. I know I'll buy this movie when it comes out on DVD. And I know...that this movie will save Star Trek. May it live long and prosper.

.../end rant transmission
Image
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

User avatar
Arc Orion
Redshirt
Posts: 11967
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:27 am
Real Name: Christopher
Gender: Male
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Negativistic Trekkies....*ugh*

Post by Arc Orion » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:27 am

Shadowknight1 wrote:The average moviegoer wouldn't have the "historical" knowledge of the characters in order to go into a Next Gen, DS9, or Voyager movie without being confused as all get out.
A little movie known as "Star Trek: First Contact" would like a word with you.

Other than that, your lack of paragraphs made the block seem too large. TLDR, and the new Star Trek movie sucks!
I need fewer water.

User avatar
lucastoast
Redshirt
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:30 am
Gender: Male
Location: West Texas

Re: Negativistic Trekkies....*ugh*

Post by lucastoast » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:42 am

Arc Orion wrote:A little movie known as "Star Trek: First Contact" would like a word with you.
You're kidding right? First Contact had the most confusing first five minutes of any star trek movie and followed it up with a lackluster story. If non-fans wern't turned off by then it's a miracle.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

User avatar
Shadowknight1
Redshirt
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:14 am
Gender: Male

Re: Negativistic Trekkies....*ugh*

Post by Shadowknight1 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:44 am

First Contact. Hm. Luckily for that movie, they could get away with "remembering" the past events. But you can't do that with every new movie.

And I apologize for the lack of paragraph spacing. This was actually my second attempt at this rant, and a mistake on my part cause me to leave the page and erase the entire thing.

And mr. Orion...how can you say it sucks? You haven't seen it yet.

Also, too long didn't read...very nice way to reply to someone's comment. Very uncaring. I'd say more, but I don't want the moderators angry. So if it's too long for your mind to digest, next time just hit the back button and save us from reading your comments on how long a RANT is.
Image
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

User avatar
Sophira
Jezzy's Belle
Posts: 4858
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:20 pm
Real Name: get outta my grits
Gender: Female
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Negativistic Trekkies....*ugh*

Post by Sophira » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:46 am

Some things are just too painful to wade through. I didn't read it all because my eyes crossed trying to get through that jungle of a paragraph.

And I'm a trekkie.

I hope you didn't bring shame to our small corner of geekdom, but I can't be bothered to try to figure out if you did.
<Arc_Orion> And I give rides to dudes!
<kaiju01> Yeah, I'm kind of a dick.
<Hirschof>Long from now, when the Earth is charred and barren, the only things left on the surface will be cockroaches and the continuous bickering between Fuggle and Deacon. :)
<Deacon> I'm not, however, played by a homosexual child star.

User avatar
Shadowknight1
Redshirt
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:14 am
Gender: Male

Re: Negativistic Trekkies....*ugh*

Post by Shadowknight1 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:51 am

Bleh...sorry guys. Here, let me try and unjumble this mess. Again, I apologize, I just didn't want to retype the entire thing three times. :P



Okay, I'm a Trekkie. I've been a Trekkie for almost my whole life. And quite frankly, I'm tired of all the negativity being directed towards the new Star Trek movie and JJ Abrams. Here's the bottom line. The current Star Trek fandom is growing older and not really attracting too many new fans. Additional Next Generation movies, or Deep Space Nine, or Voyager movies would not help. In fact, it would probably be the last nail in the coffin, if you'll pardon the expression. The average moviegoer wouldn't have the "historical" knowledge of the characters in order to go into a Next Gen, DS9, or Voyager movie without being confused as all get out.

So. How to address this? Simple. The most well known Trek crew is that of the original 1701 commanded by James T Kirk. Go back to that past. Go back and do something NEW with it. And those who say that there should be something in the "Lost Era" between Star Trek 6 and The Next Generation...that's fine for those of us who know the history behind the Enterprise. No, the Lost Era is more suited to a new series. This movie is being made exactly how it should be. This movie is to Star Trek like what Casino Royale was to James Bond, or Batman Begins was to that movie series.

Like many Trek fans, I was skeptical at first. But I was also skeptical when I heard that Heath Ledger was going to be the Joker. And I feel confident that Star Trek will blow my skepticisms out of the water just like Heath Ledger's performance did. And quite frankly, the fans who criticise the "canonicity" of the new movie being an alternate timeline as being an excuse for re-writing everything...So f-ing what? That's what alternate timelines have always done. And the design of the Enterprise is gorgeous. It blends the style of the TOS and TMP Enterprises with each other and make it sleeker, more powerful, and faster looking. And those who say the engineering hull is too far forward...no. That is wrong. If anything, it's right where it should be. The saucer has been pulled back on the neck, that's all. And though the engineering hull is a bit smaller, that doesn't harm the ship's center of gravity. In fact, because the saucer and engines have been moved back and forward, respectively, the ship's center of gravity is closer together. Also, finally the neck connecting the two hulls has been given some substance. The original looked like a nice barrage of weapons fire would split the ship in half. In any case, from what I've seen thus far, this movie is doing what it should do. It's paying respect to what came before as well as bringing enough "newness" to it to attract new fans.

For example, my 15 year old sister has hated Star Trek for almost her whole life, but she saw the trailer for this movie and said that she really wanted to see it. She even said she would have gone with me on Christmas if it had still been on track for that release date(damn you Paramount). A friend of mine said that it looked pretty interesting. And one of my college professors who has been a fan longer than me is probably just as excited about the movie as I am. Also naysayers...it's Majel Barret Roddenberry's last performance in Star Trek. It deserves a chance just because of that, right? In closing, I want to bring up a certain philosophy from Star Trek, brought to us by the Vulcans. Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. I think that sums this film up right there. Give it a chance before you tear it to shreds. I know I'll be there opening day. I know that if Playmates doesn't screw it up, I'll buy their replica of the Enterprise. I know I'll buy this movie when it comes out on DVD. And I know...that this movie will save Star Trek. May it live long and prosper.

.../end rant transmission v3.0
Image
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

bagheadinc
Bay Harbor Butcher
Posts: 7928
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:25 pm
Real Name: Matthew
Gender: Male
Location: Fruitland, MD

Re: Negativistic Trekkies....*ugh*

Post by bagheadinc » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:52 am

Shadowknight1 wrote:You haven't seen it yet.
How do you know?
Image

User avatar
StruckingFuggle
Redshirt
Posts: 22166
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:18 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Austin / San Marcos, Tx

Re: Negativistic Trekkies....*ugh*

Post by StruckingFuggle » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:03 am

It's a perfectly reasonable assumption; if you've seen a movie that hasn't been released yet, you should say so when you're commenting upon it.
"He who lives by the sword dies by my arrow."

"In your histories, there are continual justifications for all manner of hellish actions. Claims of nobility and heritage and honor to cover up every bit of genocide, assassination, and massacre. At least the Horde is honest in their naked lust for power."

User avatar
Shadowknight1
Redshirt
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:14 am
Gender: Male

Re: Negativistic Trekkies....*ugh*

Post by Shadowknight1 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:04 am

bagheadinc wrote:
Shadowknight1 wrote:You haven't seen it yet.
How do you know?
I'm psychic. Or psychotic. I'm not sure which. :P

And if you have seen it...SHARE! :P
Image
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

User avatar
Sophira
Jezzy's Belle
Posts: 4858
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:20 pm
Real Name: get outta my grits
Gender: Female
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Negativistic Trekkies....*ugh*

Post by Sophira » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:25 am

I refuse to make a decision about a movie until I've seen it or heard about it from people who've seen it that I also trust. Whether or not it's a good idea to harp on the past Treks remains to be seen.
<Arc_Orion> And I give rides to dudes!
<kaiju01> Yeah, I'm kind of a dick.
<Hirschof>Long from now, when the Earth is charred and barren, the only things left on the surface will be cockroaches and the continuous bickering between Fuggle and Deacon. :)
<Deacon> I'm not, however, played by a homosexual child star.

User avatar
Arc Orion
Redshirt
Posts: 11967
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:27 am
Real Name: Christopher
Gender: Male
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Negativistic Trekkies....*ugh*

Post by Arc Orion » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:26 am

I don't make judgments of things I haven't seen either. I do, however, like to make statements that I know will annoy annoying people.

You're a very defensive fellow, aren't you?
I need fewer water.

User avatar
Shadowknight1
Redshirt
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:14 am
Gender: Male

Re: Negativistic Trekkies....*ugh*

Post by Shadowknight1 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:54 pm

Arc Orion wrote:I don't make judgments of things I haven't seen either. I do, however, like to make statements that I know will annoy annoying people.

You're a very defensive fellow, aren't you?
Nope, just can't stand people who do make judgments of things they haven't seen. And since you aren't one of those, you have my apologies. 8)
Image
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

YH
Redshirt
Posts: 2071
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:03 am
Location: College Park, MD

Re: Negativistic Trekkies....*ugh*

Post by YH » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:42 pm

I have faith in the quality of the upcoming movie. I honestly don't give a darn about Trek "canon," as long as the general spirits of Trek stay the same (optimism and human nobleness, vs. the grittiness in recent Sci-fi series).
Image

User avatar
spikegirl7
Redshirt
Posts: 1970
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:51 pm
Real Name: Natalie
Gender: Female
Location: SW city, MO

Re: Negativistic Trekkies....*ugh*

Post by spikegirl7 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:10 pm

ehhhh...... I'm not sure

I'm going to go see it, I know that. But I'm not sure if it will be the big rebirth or reforming that you think it will be. I'm not a purist, I'm one of those people who think the prequels added to the Star Wars story (if not to the quality of the movie). I really don't care about cannon. But there have been SO MANY bad Star Treks.

So I'll keep my skepticism.
'What is morality?'
'Judgment to distinguish right and wrong, vision to see the truth, courage to act upon it, dedication to that which is good, integrity to stand by the good at any price.'

User avatar
Arc Orion
Redshirt
Posts: 11967
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:27 am
Real Name: Christopher
Gender: Male
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Negativistic Trekkies....*ugh*

Post by Arc Orion » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:40 pm

spikegirl7 wrote:I really don't care about cannon.
Obviously, you are not a pirate!
I need fewer water.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Common Crawl (Research), Yandex [Bot] and 0 guests