Guess who got her first traffic ticket!

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Healer24
Redshirt

Re: Guess who got her first traffic ticket!

Post by Healer24 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:20 pm

Deacon wrote:The standards for acquiring a driver's license are way too low.
I would actually be in support of requirements to get a driver's license becoming as strict as they are to get a pilot's license. I don't think it will actually happen, though.
"He was a genius - that is to say, a man who does superlatively and without obvious effort something that most people cannot do by the uttermost exertion of their abilities." - Robertson Davies

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:26 pm

The problem is not due to a lack of training, really, but rather the bar for the tests is set awfully low. I want to see them pass not only the written test but a fairly high-caliber driving test, too, with surprise turns and yields and on-ramps and off-ramps and left turns at a non-protected green light, maybe even a skidpad to show some vehicle control. And hell, maybe even a minimum time around a small SOLO style course. Nothing too difficult to achieve, but something that shows that they can properly hustle a car between the cones without hurting anyone. Right now all the test achieves is that you can slowly herd the car mostly between the lines.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:31 pm

Deacon wrote:I want to see them pass not only the written test but a fairly high-caliber driving test, too, with surprise turns and yields and on-ramps and off-ramps and left turns at a non-protected green light,
My test in Colorado was actual driving around town.... including surprise turns and yields and on-ramps and off-ramps and left turns at non-protected green lights. There are still TONS of moronic drivers in the state of Colorado.....
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

JermCool
Redshirt

Post by JermCool » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:35 pm

There are tons of moronic drivers everywhere. That is due to the fact that there are tons of morons. And while it might be enjoyable to make stupidity a capital offense, sadly too large a percentage of the population would be at risk.
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:45 pm

My point was that a tougher test doesn't mean anything. The statistical chance of having the driver screw up during an hour-long test is tiny. Especially because they know they are being watched.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:07 pm

The tougher test also needs to be graded more strictly as well.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

bagheadinc
Bay Harbor Butcher

Post by bagheadinc » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:41 pm

collegestudent22 wrote:My point was that a tougher test doesn't mean anything. The statistical chance of having the driver screw up during an hour-long test is tiny. Especially because they know they are being watched.
Solution: A DMV employee must be in in your car whenever you wish to drive it.

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:07 pm

bagheadinc wrote:Solution: A DMV employee must be in in your car whenever you wish to drive it.
It's for the CHILDREN!!

[/sarcasm]

Terrene
Redshirt

Post by Terrene » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:42 pm

Arres you should not be driving if you've been in three accidents in the past year. Holy crap.

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:07 pm

Only one of them was my fault. God that sounds whiny. You're probably right, and I would stop immediately if a solution that wasn't incredibly inconvenient / exorbitantly expensive presented itself. I hate driving.

Deacon, I don't know that a stricter more extensive test would actually fix the problem (although I generally support the idea). The problem people would just spend more effort to pass the test and THEN go back to being morons.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:09 pm

Then give me the ability to revoke other drivers' licenses as I see fit, and they can't get them reinstated until they've satisfied me that they're driving properly :D

Sophira
Jezzy's Belle

Post by Sophira » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:22 am

Deacon, my anecdote had little to do with the phone, and more to do with your boast about fiddling with your radio and other electronic devices while driving. I'm not saying anyone was in danger--there was no one else on the road but Deacon and his passengers. Surely he would have remained between the lines a little better had anyone else been in the area... oh wait, there was! A cop!

:) I tease. But driving fast and aggressively, even if you are good at operating a vehicle, is not the same as driving well. I don't care what you're fiddling with, that'll never be true.
<Arc_Orion> And I give rides to dudes!
<kaiju01> Yeah, I'm kind of a dick.
<Hirschof>Long from now, when the Earth is charred and barren, the only things left on the surface will be cockroaches and the continuous bickering between Fuggle and Deacon. :)
<Deacon> I'm not, however, played by a homosexual child star.

sneaky ninja
Chun Li!
Chun Li!

Post by sneaky ninja » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:47 am

It's not easy to get your full driver's license in BC....in the graduated system, you first take a written test before you get behind the wheel, then a road test two years later to get a slightly less restricted license, then another test two years after that, and then you have your full license.

And people still drive like shit.

You can waste money making a test as rigorous as you like, but nothing you do can ever change the fact that people think self-centeredly, have momentary (or maybe frequent) lapses in judgement, and even make mistakes now and then. Why are we having this argument? No one will ever solve this problem.

Terrene
Redshirt

Post by Terrene » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:10 am

You are making that shit up.

ps soap pwns this thread, and deacon. they are hers.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:33 pm

Lucksi can drive tractors!

Seriously, though, that's just...ridiculous.

Also, while I get that you were referring to cubic centimeters, we typically just write it as cc, not ccm, as in 125cc. Do you use ccm in Germany?