Guess who got her first traffic ticket!

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: Guess who got her first traffic ticket!

Post by Rorschach » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:38 pm

I see your point, Thorsman, but it's a sticky one.
Doing virtually anything other than driving in your car means that you're not giving it your full attention. The amount of times I've nearly crashed because I've been smoking with one hand and changing radio stations with the other...
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:39 pm

Lol indeed.

1) The "for the children" argument means you automatically lose.
2) At some point the fussy control-freak nanny types of the world will acknowledge that "safety" isn't the one and only priority in the world.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Terrene
Redshirt

Post by Terrene » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:15 pm

GUYS YOU ARE WASTING YOUR BREATHS. Why do you think I just went "lol" and left it at that although I kind of wanted to ask Thorsman if he actually drives himself.

Arc Orion
Redshirt

Post by Arc Orion » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:12 am

He drives himself crazy!
I need fewer water.

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:13 am

Deacon wrote:At some point the fussy control-freak nanny types of the world will acknowledge that "safety" isn't the one and only priority in the world.
Nonsense, Deacon. Those fussy control-freak nanny types won't stop until everyone is in sanitary bubbles inside padded rooms and never leaves.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

StruckingFuggle
Redshirt

Post by StruckingFuggle » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:57 am

collegestudent22 wrote:
Deacon wrote:At some point the fussy control-freak nanny types of the world will acknowledge that "safety" isn't the one and only priority in the world.
Nonsense, Deacon. Those fussy control-freak nanny types won't stop until everyone is in sanitary bubbles inside padded rooms and never leaves.
Very well, then! Barbed wire wallpapers and no guardrails anywhere for everyone! Lets strew landmines around the workplace and encourage people to drive half-asleep, drunk, and blindfolded!
"He who lives by the sword dies by my arrow."

"In your histories, there are continual justifications for all manner of hellish actions. Claims of nobility and heritage and honor to cover up every bit of genocide, assassination, and massacre. At least the Horde is honest in their naked lust for power."

Thorsman
Redshirt

Post by Thorsman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:43 pm

To clarify, yes I do drive. I was on a full driver's license in Arizona and I'm now going through lessons on a provisional UK license. I got the "four times more likely" statistic from my study materials provided by the British School of Motoring (you have to take your theory test before passing the actual driving test). It's got nothing to do with a "nanny state" and everything to do with reasonable and safe driving. Heck, I've seen idiots do all sorts (e.g. put makeup on) while driving. As for the radio argument, the radio is about all I'll use while driving, the difference being that the radio isn't something you have to interact with and think of responses to, as opposed to talking on a cell phone where you have to concentrate on the conversation. Even then the radio is something of a rarity while I'm driving.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:21 pm

You have a radio that switches itself on and off, and changes channels independently?
It wasn't an argument, Thorsman, more of an example of what a grey area this is. I can drive and speak at the same time. Hell, on a good day I can walk and chew gum at the same time. The problem is when I don't have both hands to do it. This is why hands-free conversations are legal.
As it happens, I grudgingly suppose that the line has to be drawn somewhere and while I'm sure I'd be bitching too if some policeman pulled me up for this, rather than catching criminals, I couldn't complain too vehemently.

Good luck with your test. Remember we drive on the left here. ;)
To Let

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:35 pm

Thorsman wrote:I got the "four times more likely" statistic from my study materials provided by the British School of Motoring
It's got nothing to do with a "nanny state"
Yes, let us all trust the government to not make up or fudge statistics to back up their laws.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

StruckingFuggle
Redshirt

Post by StruckingFuggle » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:15 pm

collegestudent22 wrote:Yes, let us all trust the government to not make up or fudge statistics to back up their laws.
But let's trust you to do so, eh?

"In your histories, there are continual justifications for all manner of hellish actions. Claims of nobility and heritage and honor to cover up every bit of genocide, assassination, and massacre. At least the Horde is honest in their naked lust for power."

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:20 pm

Did I have a statistic here? No. I am just pointing out that statistics, even when not made up, are easily usable for your side and the other side. The same statistics. I don't believe the government is giving the whole picture. Arguing against the classification of your government as a "nanny state" by using your government's statistics? Not very solid.

StruckingFuggle
Redshirt

Post by StruckingFuggle » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:29 pm

Nor is arguing a statistical argument with no statistics and even not much in the way of apparent thought in the matter and an obvious bias that you're seeming to be looking more to support than examine.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:44 pm

Thorsman wrote:I got the "four times more likely" statistic from my study materials provided by the British School of Motoring
Which is totally objective and unbiased, unlikely to take whatever the most alarming study it can find and applying the most alarming interpretation of it, as it's nothing to do with the same nanny that's sitting in the back seat telling you all the rules all the time.
Rorschach wrote:It wasn't an argument, Thorsman, more of an example of what a grey area this is.
It's a grey area plagued by myths and misconceptions, and the state imposing such controls are based purely on this baseless conjecture.
The problem is when I don't have both hands to do it. This is why hands-free conversations are legal.
Actually, that's NOT the problem, as we've hashed repeatedly in SPPACE. IF someone is going to have significantly reduced reaction times while talking on the phone, it is because they are engrossed in the conversation, not because they've got only one hand on the steering wheel. The feet (gas and brake--and clutch, I guess, if you've got a manual, which is a tiny minority in the US while I know the opposite is true in Europe) do not care how many hands are on the wheel. Many people (especially those of us who are indeed used to driving cars with manual transmissions) drive with one hand on the wheel regardless. The one hand on the wheel argument is a fallacy, but people are willing to believe it, and municipalities are willing to legislate it, and THAT is why hands-free conversations are legal. It's ignorant bullshit, unfortunately.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:47 pm

StruckingFuggle wrote:Nor is arguing a statistical argument
Since I wasn't arguing anything more than "That statistic isn't really valid." I don't see where I argued the point. The argument I was making was this..
Deacon wrote:Which is totally objective and unbiased, unlikely to take whatever the most alarming study it can find and applying the most alarming interpretation of it, as it's nothing to do with the same nanny that's sitting in the back seat telling you all the rules all the time.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:53 pm

Deacon wrote:
The problem is when I don't have both hands to do it. This is why hands-free conversations are legal.
Actually, that's NOT the problem, as we've hashed repeatedly in SPPACE. IF someone is going to have significantly reduced reaction times while talking on the phone, it is because they are engrossed in the conversation, not because they've got only one hand on the steering wheel. The feet (gas and brake--and clutch, I guess, if you've got a manual, which is a tiny minority in the US while I know the opposite is true in Europe) do not care how many hands are on the wheel. Many people (especially those of us who are indeed used to driving cars with manual transmissions) drive with one hand on the wheel regardless. The one hand on the wheel argument is a fallacy, but people are willing to believe it, and municipalities are willing to legislate it, and THAT is why hands-free conversations are legal. It's ignorant bullshit, unfortunately.
Yes. I'd agree with that. I'm perfectly comfortable driving with one hand on the wheel. My concern was with what the other hand is doing. If I'm using it to fiddle with the radio, smoke, or do something that draws my eyes or attention from the road then I finds that more distracting than having a hands-free conversation, be that with a person in the car or on a hands-free set (which I don't have).
To Let