ok who else is getting tired of this

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: ok who else is getting tired of this

Post by Deacon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:46 am

Binks, Biden was a no-chance, no-impact candidate for the Democratic nomination, but he declared that he'd vote for McCain before Obama, that Obama was a terrible choice for president, and that in fact he'd be honored to serve as VP candidate on a McCain ticket. He was met with agreement on these points (except for the last one) from both Bill and Hillary Clinton as well.

Additionally, with the way this country is split nearly down the middle between Democrats and Republicans and how the voting system works, people are unwilling to "throw away their vote" by casting it for a 3rd party candidate (even if their platform is a closer reflection) lest the other side win. See 1992. And they're unwilling to give their money to these parties, either. And the media has no desire to take away time from cheering on Obama and finding new and creative ways to sabotage McCain.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

ShahinVahdat
Redshirt

Post by ShahinVahdat » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:23 am

It also depends on where you are. In California, the candidates were Obama (Dem), McCain (Rep), Nader (Peace & Freedom), Keyes (American Independent), Barr (Libertarian), and McKinney (Green). Ralph Nader runs for president every year it seems. Keyes ran for the Republican nomination in 2000, Barr has made a little splash in the news this year, and McKinney (at least to me) is the fresh face. Oh, and then there's Obama and McCain, but I haven't heard much about those guys. One's an Arab, right?

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:25 am

No, Muslim. There's a difference :P
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

ShahinVahdat
Redshirt

Post by ShahinVahdat » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:29 am

I knew John McCain couldn't be trusted!

bagheadinc
Bay Harbor Butcher

Post by bagheadinc » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:04 pm

Mae Dean
Forum Goddess
Forum Goddess

Post by Mae Dean » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:42 pm

Thank god McCain at least TRIED to set that crazy bitch straight. People jumped on him for his wording, which SEEMED to imply that he was saying Arabs can't be decent family men, but that was just bullshit. 'Cause... you know. When you're confronted with crazy THAT pronounced, you're bound to get flustered. :)

...of course, other parts of his own campaign implied Obama was basically a terrorist, or at least a terrorist sympathizer, so there's that. But still. He TRIED to correct her. :P

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:19 pm

Greg Dean wrote: ...of course, other parts of his own campaign implied Obama was basically a terrorist, or at least a terrorist sympathizer, so there's that.
Not a hard implication to make when he launches his political career from a terrorist's house.....
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

Terrene
Redshirt

Post by Terrene » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:18 pm

Are you accusing Obama of being a terrorist?

Do you think he's an Arab too?

Mae Dean
Forum Goddess
Forum Goddess

Post by Mae Dean » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:29 pm

collegestudent22 wrote:
Greg Dean wrote: ...of course, other parts of his own campaign implied Obama was basically a terrorist, or at least a terrorist sympathizer, so there's that.
Not a hard implication to make when he launches his political career from a terrorist's house.....
....I'm not even going to give you the satisfaction of a well-thought-out response to that. I'm just going to say that you are an idiot, have ALWAYS been an idiot, and will most likely continue to be an idiot for the rest of your life.

...idiot.

Hirschof
Redshirt

Post by Hirschof » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:30 pm

collegestudent22 wrote:
Yes, I'm sure he is here to destroy America. I'm sure he was involved in 9/11. I'm sure he is an operative for Osama. Shit, I'm sure he is best friends with Osama. I also bet they have crazy and immoral butt sex while killing babies for stem cell research.

You betcha.
"Hirschof: So much more than a handy masturbatory image." -Rorschach
"I think Hirschof is neat." -Sophira

RIP RLF SIG Trend: Aug 2004 - Jan 2010.
mah facebook

ShahinVahdat
Redshirt

Post by ShahinVahdat » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:10 pm

Greg Dean wrote:
collegestudent22 wrote:
....I'm not even going to give you the satisfaction of a well-thought-out response to that. I'm just going to say that you are an idiot, have ALWAYS been an idiot, and will most likely continue to be an idiot for the rest of your life.

...idiot.
I actually thought that was quite intelligent, Great. :) So way to go...liar!

adciv
Redshirt

Post by adciv » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:12 pm

Ok, so how many of you have heard of William Ayers?
Repensum Est Canicula
The most dangerous words from an Engineer: "I have an idea."
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

Hirschof
Redshirt

Post by Hirschof » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:22 pm

I read up on him as soon as I caught tale of some sort of "connection." But, no, I never heard of him prior to this.

Terrorist is almost synonymous with Muslim now. Some people tend to forget they can be home grown too.
"Hirschof: So much more than a handy masturbatory image." -Rorschach
"I think Hirschof is neat." -Sophira

RIP RLF SIG Trend: Aug 2004 - Jan 2010.
mah facebook

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:26 pm

Terrene wrote:Are you accusing Obama of being a terrorist?

Do you think he's an Arab too?
No, and no. I am saying that an implication can be made that he supports terrorists. It isn't a very strong implication, nor am I claiming I agree with it, but really, why would ANYONE hang out with someone like Bill Ayers?
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

Mae Dean
Forum Goddess
Forum Goddess

Post by Mae Dean » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:32 pm

Don't mistake my response to communitycollegestudent22 as being the result of ignorance. I know all about the guy, but the fact remains that trying to connect him with Obama in any meaningful way is ludicrous. Any small amount of scrutiny, and the link between the two just vanishes. It's insane to somehow imply that he was complicit in any way with Bill Ayers, considering he was EIGHT when Ayers was committing his crimes.

But the way it's been stated, if I happened to meet the guy, and he was a functioning member of society that seemed like a decent fellow, and I gave him the benefit of the doubt and looked past what he may have done in the past, that would make me a terrorist? Or at the very least, a terrorist sympathizer? I think that's a little far to be stretching, if you ask me.