ok who else is getting tired of this

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
Mae Dean
Forum Goddess
Forum Goddess

Re: ok who else is getting tired of this

Post by Mae Dean » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:10 am

bagheadinc wrote:
Deacon wrote:Who was Kerry's VP candidate? Nobody even remembers
Really? You think people don't remember John Edwards? It was only four years ago.
Gotta agree here - and it was a bummer, too, 'cause Edwards made a much better candidate than Kerry did, in my opinion. And to further the point, GORE'S running mate, Joe Lieberman, was one of the many reasons I voted against Gore in 2000. (Yes, I've admited it before - I voted for Bush in 2000. And furthermore, I voted for McCAIN in the primaries that year.) For me, of course, Joe Lieberman represented the entire anti-gaming movement that was gaining steam at the time, and I wasn't comfortable with that. This was before national security was the gigantic issue it is today, and we could afford to vote on the basis of far more trivial things.

VP candidates affect the decision of who to vote for a lot more than you might think, Amigo. I've said it before - if McCain had picked Guiliani instead of Palin, it's possible he might have gotten my vote.

Hirschof
Redshirt

Post by Hirschof » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:22 pm

I'm tired of being attacked for not going out to vote. Somehow I am un-American for not liking any of the candidates enough to vote.

So what am I supposed to do, choose between the lesser of two or more evils? That is bullshit.
"Hirschof: So much more than a handy masturbatory image." -Rorschach
"I think Hirschof is neat." -Sophira

RIP RLF SIG Trend: Aug 2004 - Jan 2010.
mah facebook

tnitnetny
Redshirt

Post by tnitnetny » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:30 pm

You should look at the other races in your area and the other issues being voted on and see if you want to vote on those as well. If there is nothing on the ballot you care about, then /shrug. It's your choice.

It doesn't matter who I vote for president anyway in Maryland, the electoral votes will go to Obama. I am voting for the slots referendum and my local races.

adciv
Redshirt

Post by adciv » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:33 pm

Ah, too bad I'm not able to vote in this election due to moving. If I qualified as an MD resident, I'd be voting for the slots. It'd be a tax on anyone stupid enough to play them.
Repensum Est Canicula
The most dangerous words from an Engineer: "I have an idea."
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:44 pm

tnitnetny wrote:It doesn't matter who I vote for president anyway in Maryland, the electoral votes will go to Obama. I am voting for the slots referendum and my local races.
I like this message and I wish more people thought this way.

Yes, the President of the United States is an important position, but so are senate seats, local representation and ballot questions. I'm far more excited to learn the fate of my state's three ballot initiatives.

I'm also pumped to get a chance to vote for Question 1, which would do away with the state income tax over the course of two years. I'm not usually the "tell you how to vote" type, but any lurkers in Massachusetts please vote YES on Question 1.

---Related Election Question---
How many of you have people on your ballot running unopposed? We have three here, including our US Representative. I've always found these races funny when shown on a ballot. "Hmm, so if I don't vote for Capuano am I voting to leave our House seat empty?"
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Hirschof
Redshirt

Post by Hirschof » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:47 pm

Quite a few people do not realize you can vote local and not for the presidential candidates.
tnitnetny wrote:You should look at the other races in your area and the other issues being voted on and see if you want to vote on those as well.
Did this already, although the details of the candidates around here have been vague. In San Antonio it seems like you have to dig in order to learn anything about the local races.

mah facebook

adciv
Redshirt

Post by adciv » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:24 pm

The Cid wrote:How many of you have people on your ballot running unopposed? We have three here, including our US Representative. I've always found these races funny when shown on a ballot. "Hmm, so if I don't vote for Capuano am I voting to leave our House seat empty?"
No, it just counts as an abstention. Here's an idea, vote for yourself in the election. Yes, I am serious. There have been cases where people have won elections with one vote. Yes, WITH ONE, not BY ONE. You just might wind up winning the race.
Repensum Est Canicula
The most dangerous words from an Engineer: "I have an idea."
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:36 pm

...Well, it would be nice to see one more Libertarian on the ballot... :D

And now you have me considering a temporary signature change. If I'm voting for myself (and I may, since I'm not pleased with Michael Capuano's voting record and it'd make me feel better), might as well make a banner and a slogan up.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Healer24
Redshirt

Post by Healer24 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:09 pm

Hirschof wrote:I'm tired of being attacked for not going out to vote. Somehow I am un-American for not liking any of the candidates enough to vote.

So what am I supposed to do, choose between the lesser of two or more evils? That is bullshit.
I'm not attacking you, but I am reminded of a Heinlein quote:
"If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for ... but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong."
"He was a genius - that is to say, a man who does superlatively and without obvious effort something that most people cannot do by the uttermost exertion of their abilities." - Robertson Davies

Metzgirl
Redshirt

Post by Metzgirl » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:11 am

Back on Palin:
She has been attacked and questioned an had her life pried into because, until August, no one knew who she was. Biden ran for president against Obama and therefore was vetted during that race. Plus, he has oodles of experience which anyone could go look up. Other VP candidates have had similar vetting and experience. Since she was so unknown and then did so poorly on the first few interviews, many people jumped on the "she's an idiot" bandwagon and mostly have eaten her alive (Saturday Night Live didn't help). Granted she's unfamiliar with national attention and definitely needed more time to get into the swing of interviews, but her performance has been sub-par. Hopefully if she continues her national career she will do a lot more studying and be much more polished before she runs for something else.

I'm just glad she didn't break down in tears and call Katie a big mean reporter lady or something like that. That would have been bad for any woman trying to run for any political seat.

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:16 am

Metzgirl wrote:Back on Palin:
Biden ran for president against Obama and therefore was vetted during that race.
Right.... when was this vetting? Because almost all of the coverage during the primary was about Clinton or Obama, although there was some about Edwards. I don't think anybody really noticed enough that Biden was running to care.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:16 am

Hirschof wrote:Did this already, although the details of the candidates around here have been vague. In San Antonio it seems like you have to dig in order to learn anything about the local races.
Vote for Kevin Wolff (oh god please don't vote for that utter jackass Chip Haass who isn't even out of law school yet), Lyle Larson, Wallace Jefferson (for TX Supreme Court) and yes to an extension of of term limits for city council and mayor. I've been personally fucked over by the corruption and lack of caring that makes its way so easily into a city council that only consists of two two-year terms (fuck you in hell, Art Hall). Four two-year terms isn't exactly a long time, but it at least keeps them honest for longer.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Binks
Redshirt

Post by Binks » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:28 am

Wait...Biden ran for president against Obama? That's news to me, and I had to know the people running at the time (I was in a political science class from about the time the campaigning 'officially' started and when it really came down to 3 candidates)

Also - To anyone who either had an early ballot (like me) or votes tomorrow, did you have 5 candidates for president on your ballot? Ours did, and I had never even heard of 3 of them...did they just not campaign or something?

Hirschof
Redshirt

Post by Hirschof » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:33 am

Deacon wrote:oh god please don't vote for that utter jackass Chip Haass who isn't even out of law school yet
I voted Wolff. I like his business background and Haass seemed to tout his minor achievements like they were war medals.

mah facebook

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:38 am

Binks wrote: Also - To anyone who either had an early ballot (like me) or votes tomorrow, did you have 5 candidates for president on your ballot? Ours did, and I had never even heard of 3 of them...did they just not campaign or something?
Third party candidates typically don't get a lot of media attention. Although, this year I didn't even see a single third party ad. So I don't know how they expect to get ANY electoral votes if they don't even TRY to advertise.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?