Just throwing that out there

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: Just throwing that out there

Post by Rorschach » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:44 pm

Corgis, and more specifically their size, must be to bestiality what Asian chicks are to regular fucking.

Except with Asian guys, if rumour is to be believed.
To Let

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 am

Sandy was one impressive hurricane. Rain, snow, and lots of wind damage. Sandy will probably get removed as a hurricane name along with Katrina and Andrew. Sandy was much more impressive than Andrew or Katrina was.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:38 am

Everyone alright? I'm not around as much as I'd like at the moment, but I still worry.

Sandy is a dreadful name for a hurricane, btw.
To Let

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:43 pm

I was actually doing a favor for my parents up until Sunday, so I ended up stuck directly in Sandy's path rather than up in Boston where the storm only kind of hit. We've lost power down here (about half way between Philadelphia and New York as the crow flies), but people have seen this coming for a week now. Anyone who isn't insane was pretty well-prepared by the time it made landfall.

My biggest problem is that I have to continuously check the news to find out how things are going at home. Apparently my apartment may very well be without power, which is a shame because the vast majority of my food was in my freezer and is likely becoming inedible as I type this. My bigger fear was flooding, as I live within a golf shot of the Atlantic Ocean (not hyperbole--a 5 iron from my front door could make the water) and a lot of Eastern Massachusetts is marshland already. Fortunately, I have read nothing about my neighborhood being flooded or otherwise injured besides an apparent loss in power.

I've been annoying everybody the last couple of days because my plan has been to keep calm. Nobody wanted to hear it. "We're inside, we're prepared, what the Hell is there to worry about" is apparently not the right tact to take in these matters. Just in case you ever encounter one of your own.

Seir, Calus, and a couple of long lost forumites (anyone remember Phong?) live in the northeast as well. Here's wishing them all the best, hope they're doing as well as or better than I. Thanks for the thought, Rors.

Edit: Ampersand, come on. This storm was bad, but...Andrew? Katrina? Are those really valid comparisons, or are you talking more from a meteorological standpoint?
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:25 pm

ampersand wrote:Sandy was much more impressive than Andrew or Katrina was.
I guess that depends on what impresses you?

What impresses me is that she sunk the Black Pearl.

The Cid wrote:apparently not the right tact to take
Since you do put down written word as part of your living, I feel OK pointing out that it's "tack" rather than tact. See definition 3 there or definition 4 here.. It comes from sailing.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:00 pm

Deacon wrote:What impresses me is that she sunk the Black Pearl.
I didn't even realize that the HMS Bounty was used for that.
Deacon wrote:Since you do put down written word as part of your living, I feel OK pointing out that it's "tack" rather than tact.
Thanks. It's one of those things I'm not sure I've seen in writing but I hear spoken all the time. I always thought it was "tact" as in "tactic." Now I know.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:23 pm

Andrew wrecked Florida, Katrina the Gulf, but neither was as big as Sandy was as a storm nor had such a wide range of impact. Somehow Sandy's wind were impacting wave height on Lake Michigan, which is incredible.

The monetary damage estimates from Sandy will be greater than Andrew, but not quite as bad as Katrina, nor will the death toll will be as great. But I also think the northeast is just a more significant area than New Orleans or Florida will ever be, and that's why I'm more impressed by Sandy. Where a hurricane lands has an impact on how impressive or significant it will be.

Edit: Already, early estimates of $45 Billion for the widespread damage are being tallied. It also has a nice illustrations showing the size of Sandy's footprint.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:34 pm

Clearly Disney is more of a Sith than Darth George could ever be. Seriously, Star Wars 7 and buying out Lucasfilms?

spikegirl7
Redshirt

Post by spikegirl7 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:46 pm

What? How? I thought the star wars cow was milked dry. I thought it was dead.
'What is morality?'
'Judgment to distinguish right and wrong, vision to see the truth, courage to act upon it, dedication to that which is good, integrity to stand by the good at any price.'

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:56 am

Why is the presumption that a new Star Wars sequel produced by Disney would be bad? Most of the stuff coming out of Disney recently has actually been pretty good. And no Jar-Jar.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:07 am

Given the "quality" of the prequels, I'd rather see Lucas hand the inevitable (and yes, people will pay to see them, and these days that guarantees that they would happen sooner or later) sequels to other filmmakers than see him try to make three more Star Wars movies when he's 0 for his last 3. But then, I'm not quite the fan of the series that lots of other people are. So maybe that's blasphemy.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:26 am

Don't be fooled by fake photos, guys. http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/sandy.asp

Just throwing that out there.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:24 am

Suck his diiiiiiiiick. He's a shaaaaaaaaark.

I think at least one of them is from The Day After Tomorrow, no?

When will we learn? WHEN?
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:46 pm

Just a couple hours after posting that sans thing to Facebook, a grown woman cousin of mine, a wife and mother, liked the picture that "Tracking Sandy" posted of the shark.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Hey...hey...see, right, see if you have no nasal hair at all? Your nose runs really, really quickly.

Just so you know.
To Let