Only in...

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
ampersand
Redshirt

Re: Only in...

Post by ampersand » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:40 am

Only in Montreal. And I ask you, would this happen at a Chippendale Themed Restaurant?

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:54 am

Only in New Zealand, can drunk cooking be a serious problem. Don't drink and fry?

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:20 am

While I'm sure it's a serious problem, I can't get over how much that guy in the poster looks like an utter utter douchebag.
Also: go home and cook? Aren't there any kebab shops in New Zealand?
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:23 pm

I have to believe that the epic dicksmacking douchebaggery pictured in that advert was intentional and integral to the message that only unbelievable twats like that would ever cook their own food after having a pint, and you're not one of those people, right? Etc...

And as far as I know there's no place on earth that doesn't have some form of late-night drunk food or another, whether tacos or gyros or kebabs or SOMETHING.

That said: how big a problem is this really??
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:14 pm

If they are still drunk after getting home and cooking, wouldn't the problem be the drunk DRIVING, not the cooking?
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Only in...

Post by Deacon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:40 pm

Some places have cabs, public transportation, and pubs within walking distance.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:25 am

Ignoring that you are more likely to cause an accident by walking home drunk than driving home drunk, I still don't understand how big a problem this could possibly be.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:36 am

New Zealand is a rather small country. You're only five hundred feet away from a drunken sheep at all times.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Only in...

Post by Deacon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:46 am

collegestudent22 wrote:Ignoring that you are more likely to cause an accident by walking home drunk than driving home drunk, I still don't understand how big a problem this could possibly be.
Sometimes I wonder about you.

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:37 am

Freakonomics. Walking a mile drunk is about 8 times as dangerous as driving a mile drunk. You are only really "safe" if you call a cab or take a bus.

mikejcpt
Redshirt

Post by mikejcpt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:15 am

Deacon wrote:That said: how big a problem is this really??
Well, I asked one of my faculty members currently on sabbatical in NZ right now.
Purdue professor wrote:Yes, they do like to drink here, especially the young people. Experienced Saturday night (from our bed) until the wee hours in the morning as our room faced the bar district. Quite interesting.
His specialties are ergonomics and occupational safety.
Spoiler: (click to reveal/hide)
The Cid wrote:
StruckingFuggle wrote:Evil Mormons
"So you say you're a Mormon?"
"No, actually. I'm an Evil Mormon, I attend the church of latter day Satan."

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Only in...

Post by Deacon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:38 am

collegestudent22 wrote:Freakonomics. Walking a mile drunk is about 8 times as dangerous as driving a mile drunk. You are only really "safe" if you call a cab or take a bus.
That's a poor use of vague estimates translated to raw numbers with no context. Besides, walking drunk may be dangerous to YOU, but driving drunk is dangerous to EVERYONE ELSE, including those who are walking next to it, drunk or otherwise.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:14 am

I'd be interested to hear from our resident Kiwi expert. Or at least his wife. I just find it amusing how here in the United States the emphasis is on drinking and driving with such slogans as "buzz driving is drunk driving" and of course "friends don't let other friends drive drunk." In New Zealand, it's about drinking and cooking.

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Deacon wrote:Besides, walking drunk may be dangerous to YOU, but driving drunk is dangerous to EVERYONE ELSE, including those who are walking next to it, drunk or otherwise.
Walking drunk is not only dangerous to the person walking. People walking home drunk frequently stumble into the street, which could cause people driving next to that sidewalk harm, or other pedestrians. I'm not saying I agree with the statistic being accurate, but to say that the only danger from walking drunk is to yourself is completely inaccurate.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:04 pm

collegestudent22 wrote:You are only really "safe" if you call a cab or take a bus.
How often do you find yourself in the backseat of a taxi? Because "safe" isn't always the first word I'd use to describe the habits of some of the late night cabbies I've had.
collegestudent22 wrote:I'm not saying I agree with the statistic being accurate, but to say that the only danger from walking drunk is to yourself is completely inaccurate.
Are you taking into account the notion that one can be too drunk to drive, but still well within their ability to safely walk somewhere? It seems to me that most people who drink regularly can walk alright with a .08 BAC, which would be over-the-limit for driving here. Yes, a couple more drinks from there and the same person might need help walking home--and don't forget that a drunk person walking alone is basically a flashing neon target for muggers--but at that point the drinking itself is getting toward the level of physically dangerous.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.