Half-life 2 going gold!

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
StruckingFuggle
Redshirt

Post by StruckingFuggle » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:08 am

/me bangs his head on the desk

I wasn't talking anout the use of the word "heard", Seraphim, I was saying that "I heard/read/its my understanding that/what have you" != "read in an interview with someone actually doing the work". The two have a vast difference of credibility.

And RQE: Right. Now come up with an analogy that's actually related to what happened.
"He who lives by the sword dies by my arrow."

"In your histories, there are continual justifications for all manner of hellish actions. Claims of nobility and heritage and honor to cover up every bit of genocide, assassination, and massacre. At least the Horde is honest in their naked lust for power."

Rembrandt Q. Einstein
Redshirt

Post by Rembrandt Q. Einstein » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:04 am

How is that not related?

Sure it's a bit of a stretch, but the point is that they were almost finished, and they had to rework what they had to prevent cheating, even though they did nothing wrong. They didn't start from scratch, but they had to rewrite everything nonetheless.
"GREASE ME WITH LARD AND GLUE MY ASS CLOSED I'M HEADING FOR THE HILLS!" -Mandor
"That is democracy, even if what you say doesn't move heaven and earth it is still absolutely vital that it be said." -randomperson2

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:31 am

Gabe Newell admitted some time ago that the break-in had nothing to do with the delay in release of what is so far nearly a year.

I propose, BTW, that Gabe Newell never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever be allowed to touch a computer again. It was his machine that got hacked in the first place because Outlook wasn't patched, and it was his dumbass password that got guess this time around.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Calus
Redshirt

Post by Calus » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:06 am

Martin how could you say that. I say just give him one of those... this Notebook.
Edward "Snugglepants" Van Helgen: What! You shot my banjo!

"Do I hear voices? I guess so. I don't worry though, because I have learned to ignore them. They keep telling me the Cubs will win the World Series." Calus

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:39 pm

Or one of these, like Dilbert's pointy haired boss got.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

BadMonkey
Redshirt

Re: Half-life 2 going gold!

Post by BadMonkey » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:11 pm

At the very least his internet access should be restricted to going through a proxy.
This proxy would be in the form of a large, ex spetnatz officer called "Dave"
"Face it, you're two nipples away from being human."
Did you imagine the final sound as a gun? Or the shattered windows of a car? Did you ever imagine the last thing you'd hear as you're fading out was a song?

Seraphim
Redshirt

Post by Seraphim » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:42 pm

Gabe Newell admitted some time ago that the break-in had nothing to do with the delay in release of what is so far nearly a year.
A source please?

Even if he did say that, I don't believe that it wouldn't affect it in any way shape or form. Maybe not a year...

Mista
Redshirt

Post by Mista » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:56 pm

I think the problem with getting the source stolen is that they think that since people have played it they'll probably think "Oh this game sucks" and dont bother buying it.

I know of a good analogy: You and some friends spend a year or two making a mod for half-life. You've already got finished maps and all you have to do is get some texures straightened and some models fixed. But one of the friends leaks it all for some money. Your mod is all over the internet and you've gotten no money for it. (Assuming that you pay for mods) That would kind of depress me, and I doubt anyone wouldnt be depressed by that.
unsigged. For the children.

Eihger
Redshirt

Post by Eihger » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:05 am

thats not an analogy, really more like rephrasing
"Water is fluid, soft, and yielding. But water will wear away rock which is rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft, and yielding will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: whatever is soft is strong."
~Lao Tzu

People are catastrophically stupid; persons are intriguingly smart
My DoW2 Mod Men of the 89th

StruckingFuggle
Redshirt

Post by StruckingFuggle » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:53 am

You know, I thought I'd read that the source code wasn't the full game - as such, "the game" wasn't "all over the internet", because it wasn't "the game", no?
"He who lives by the sword dies by my arrow."

"In your histories, there are continual justifications for all manner of hellish actions. Claims of nobility and heritage and honor to cover up every bit of genocide, assassination, and massacre. At least the Horde is honest in their naked lust for power."

BillyBlaze
Redshirt

Post by BillyBlaze » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:36 am

Yes

Seraphim
Redshirt

Post by Seraphim » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:25 am

The started preloading HL2 into steam tonite. What this means is that the game is finished completely. You can download the entire game on steam. Then when they decide to "release" the game, you can buy an activation key (equivalent to the price of a store bought copy I'm sure) and start running it. This way, the second they finally decide to let us play they're finished product, people will already have it installed, and ready to go.

BillyBlaze
Redshirt

Post by BillyBlaze » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:31 am

"The"?

grassmunk
Redshirt

Post by grassmunk » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:27 pm

About the preloading, read my post a few pages back. To sum up, the preloading is prolly everything thats completed as of yet but not everything.
Don't waste your time on jealously, sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and in the end, it's only with yourself.

Seraphim
Redshirt

Post by Seraphim » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:22 pm

The game has been completed for a long time.

They don't finish then release the game.

They finish, test for a long time, (make minor adjustments (maybe)) then release.

The game you download is the full game (more or less. They don't want you playing it yet.)