How do I change my title?

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
nosystemd
Redshirt

How do I change my title?

Post by nosystemd » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:17 pm

I miss "Crazy Person". I don't like this one at all, I even mentioned it when it was being discussed.

If we decided "Crazy" is too offensive now I'd like some other word that is considered acceptable, "strange" or "odd" should suffice.

Is this possible? At what point does one qualify for Mae-niac? (That would also be suitable, but I would gladly settle for Strange Person)

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: How do I change my title?

Post by Rorschach » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:04 pm

IIRC you only get a custom title by sending MB those nudes he PMs you about. Right guys?
To Let

Doc Giggles
Redshirt

Post by Doc Giggles » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:19 am

So that's how you got yours!
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:38 am

Just close your eyes and do it for God and country.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

nosystemd
Redshirt

Post by nosystemd » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:27 pm

I'm surprised that a forum already so progressive with regards to dead-naming or pronouns insists on making a user unhappy and uncomfortable with a title they don't want anything to do with.

I'm definitely not saying it's exactly the same, but the two concepts aren't exactly far apart either.

I will be happy to resolve this by my own means, since no one is willing to assist or even seriously consider something that is perfectly reasonable and (I've run a forum before) trivial to resolve. I mean it's one thing to do nothing, but this is clearly a big joke now.

Good, that's what I needed to know. If it were an option, I would just delete my account at this point.

I know it's not-- but that hasn't stopped me before. But I couldn't have made my feelings much more clearly known than I did in the first post.

"We could have worked this out!"

I am no longer interested in working this out, but I have already made 5 deliberate and flagrant offences of the forum rules. You don't have to ban me though it is my intention to continue to break the rules until I am banned. I still like the comic, I have nothing against Mae personally.

raptor9k
Redshirt

Post by raptor9k » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:53 pm

A). As far as I'm aware there's only 1 person with the power to grant your request and he very rarely checks in. Rors or Firebird would've been your other potential options, but given the lack of a change I'd wager they don't have rights. You don't know that no-one is willing to assist because you know very little about this place or how it's managed. I'd be surprised if Martin Blank wouldn't have granted your request, though I doubt this little fit will help that decision. I'm sure he'd gladly delete your account for you, if that is your actual request at this point.
B). To date, custom titles have generally been awarded to long time members/prolific posters and people that serve some official function or another.
C). If it bothers you that much find a browser extension to block it or, given your username, script your own. Honestly, though, how the hell are you this invested in a forum title when you've managed 99 posts in 2 years?
D). This forum, despite the name, has had relatively little to do with the comic in a very long time.

Doc Giggles
Redshirt

Post by Doc Giggles » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:35 pm

Wow. Just wow.

The default name has always been out of users control. Those that have custom names have done something (in most cases, many things) to earn the change. The old "Crazy Person" name was a better fit for me (my name comes from a cheesy horror movie villain and was given to me by fellow cast of a haunted house I worked at,) but it's just fluff at the end of the day. Now being a "Redshirt" don't mean anything to me. It doesn't change my place here. It doesn't change how I feel about RLF or the members. I'm one of the longest members here, but I can honestly say that I don't believe that I have done enough to have earned a custom title.

Rors used silly humor, but he did tell you who to PM about the names... Just leave out the pictures. You've been here 2 years. You should know by now that humor is a big part of everything here because life is hard enough for most of us. We just like to have a place where we can be silly and laugh while still being able to get support in the painful times. I will say this though. I can't think of a single time where someone got a custom title by simply demanding it. And now that you admit that you are throwing a temper tantrum and are trying to get banned over not getting a custom title, I think the chances of you getting one is almost zero.

You do have the option to delete your account. You simply PM Martin Blank. The other option is to just stop coming here if this is upsetting you so much.

Take care of your mental health. I hope you find what makes you happy.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:49 am

No one is "insisting on making you unhappy" which sounds pretty self-induced. I personally don't have the ability to change your title. Frankly, if I did I wouldn't just because you felt I should. I don't do well with demands or entitlement. If this offended you on some deeply personal level that you felt compelled to not be here I think maybe you need to think about something more than a title change. Some people were offended by "crazy person" to each their own.

This forum is a place to talk and meet other people who are just as off-kilter as we are. It's not a place where we hand out participation awards or titles just because you want them. I'm sorry we aren't the right fit for you, but it's a big ocean swim on. However if you would like to be banned let me know and I will be happy to help since that is actually in my purview.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:56 am

As a side note I have removed all the silly clutter you left on the forum. I did issue a warning in the hopes that you would cool off. I'm not holding my breath but stranger things have happened.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:56 am

Rors or Firebird would've been your other potential options, but given the lack of a change I'd wager they don't have rights.
—-
Bingo. I’m not a mod of any stripe. I just have a custom title is all.
To Let

Blackjack
Redshirt

Post by Blackjack » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:49 pm

What an out-of-character escalation. Please take some time for your mental health, nosystemd.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:23 pm

Escalation is the very word. I thought I’d missed some responses between nosystemd’s first and second post.

I think this might be mountains and molehills to be honest, but they don’t call MB the Knower of Things for no reason. Doubtless his judgement will be both sage and proper.

In the meantime, all hearken unto Firebird. For she is both wise and compassionate. Although it’d take a braver man than me to annoy her.
To Let

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:47 am

Rorschach wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:23 pm Escalation is the very word. I thought I’d missed some responses between nosystemd’s first and second post.

I think this might be mountains and molehills to be honest, but they don’t call MB the Knower of Things for no reason. Doubtless his judgement will be both sage and proper.

In the meantime, all hearken unto Firebird. For she is both wise and compassionate. Although it’d take a braver man than me to annoy her.
You are indeed smarter than I previously thought :P