What is something about your profession that people don't understand?

Talk about whatever you feel like.
nosystemd
Crazy Person

Re: What is something about your profession that people don't understand?

Post by nosystemd » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:19 am

NorthernComfort wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:40 pm taking a word and saying that you personally define it to mean something other than the commonly accepted definition, is sometimes called Humpty-Dumptyism. To quote old Humpty, he said "When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
I honestly thought the joke was about being full of things that only have meaning on a surface level; which would make the speculation and mild accusations that follow very meta.

I was going to say something the first question around to try to help, though now I'm just suggesting we cut someone some slack. Imagine if there was a mandate (onus on you) to be understood by others all the time, how fair would that be?

Seannery
Crazy Person

Post by Seannery » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:45 am

nosystemd wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:19 am
NorthernComfort wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:40 pm taking a word and saying that you personally define it to mean something other than the commonly accepted definition, is sometimes called Humpty-Dumptyism. To quote old Humpty, he said "When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
I was going to say something the first question around to try to help, though now I'm just suggesting we cut someone some slack. Imagine if there was a mandate (onus on you) to be understood by others all the time, how fair would that be?
My thoughts about it are: if you want to be understood, it's your job to be clear, and if you want to understand, it's your job to think through it---but it's written once, and read many times, so it's probably cheaper for the onus of understanding to be more on the writer than the reader---of course more reasons for writing may be than being understood.
Humpty-Dumpty is perfectly correct in that quote---that's the opposite of bullshit: sincerity---which isn't the problem; unless I'm misrecalling the context of that quote, Humpty-Dumpty's linguistic fault is blaming, despite never describing how they mean what they say, the reader for not understanding---maybe they doesn't understand that how they mean what they say isn't clear, or maybe they doesn't care about being understood. We can't ¿could we?---not that we should.. really force everyone to speak in a single `correct' way---so I took the opportunity to elucidate that piece of my stylistic preference, so that you might be less baffled about my statements: I described my meaning, which is the standard non-slang meaning somehow I missed that lucid comment, too.. I'm not really sure how to further clarify it..
If you give me too much slack, I might dangle too far out.
Last edited by Seannery on Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Do tell me, always, in what way I'm not good.. I'm not used to silent tolerance.
Why can't you just love her?
τ > π wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:57 amOnward! To our selves. To the future.

nosystemd
Crazy Person

Post by nosystemd » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:05 am

Seannery wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:45 am If you give me too much slack, I might dangle too far out.
Fair enough. You were a lot easier to understand the second time.

mysecret
Crazy Person

Post by mysecret » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:58 pm

I provide advice to large organisations on improving their customer service experience and employee engagement within the workplace...
1. "We're not like any other company you've worked with!" - No, you're exactly like every other company I've worked with - Managed by people who want to micro manage everything because they think letting people just get on with the work in hand will make them important.
2. Within the next 5 years calling customer services will be something very few people do and within 10 years call centres will be all gone. Everything will be AI driven chat bots or app self service. If you've used chat to speak to an actual company, and it's a big company, chances are that you've experienced AI chat already during some of that interaction without knowing it.

auntmousie
Crazy Person

Post by auntmousie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:17 am

mysecret wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:58 pm Everything will be AI driven chat bots or app self service. If you've used chat to speak to an actual company, and it's a big company, chances are that you've experienced AI chat already during some of that interaction without knowing it.
I dunno if call centers will disappear quite that fast, but I will say - having used chat-based support services - I've never had a hard time believing I was talking to machines. If anything I've never been convinced any of them was human. Unfortunately, none of the interactions lasted long enough to feel like a bona fide Turing test.
When all is said and done, more is generally said than is done.
Ask me anything - no, really - but be warned: I will answer. If you didn't want to know... don't ask.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:00 am

auntmousie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:17 am If anything I've never been convinced any of them was human.
To the contrary, I’ve engaged with live verbal conversation on the phone with humans when I wasn’t entirely convinced they weren’t poorly programmed bots.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

auntmousie
Crazy Person

Post by auntmousie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 am

Deacon wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:00 am
auntmousie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:17 am If anything I've never been convinced any of them was human.
To the contrary, I’ve engaged with live verbal conversation on the phone with humans when I wasn’t entirely convinced they weren’t poorly programmed bots.
That would explain a lot actually. I mean if reincarnation is real, then where are all these extra souls coming from?
When all is said and done, more is generally said than is done.
Ask me anything - no, really - but be warned: I will answer. If you didn't want to know... don't ask.

Seannery
Crazy Person

Post by Seannery » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:52 am

Deacon wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:00 am
I may have touched upon that in my (longer than expected) rant(``ette''): whether the underlying matter is human or computer, if it refuses to know what I have to say---refuses to listen---it's a robot. Inanimate pronouns perfectly intended. I'm not always convinced the voice on the other end isn't synthesized---I don't care about such petty details, even if there weren't severe e.g. medical reasons for it; what matters is the intelligence: those machines display none, refuse to defer to who would. I've said before I'd like to be (part) robot---that's true, but I'd like to be intelligent foremost, to use my robot parts to enhance that---those businesses reduce theirs.
Do tell me, always, in what way I'm not good.. I'm not used to silent tolerance.
Why can't you just love her?
τ > π wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:57 amOnward! To our selves. To the future.

mysecret
Crazy Person

Post by mysecret » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:53 pm

auntmousie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:17 am I dunno if call centers will disappear quite that fast, but I will say - having used chat-based support services - I've never had a hard time believing I was talking to machines. If anything I've never been convinced any of them was human. Unfortunately, none of the interactions lasted long enough to feel like a bona fide Turing test.
I get to see lots of the tech before it gets offered to companies as well as AI bots which are in the sales cycle and therefore 12-18 months out from being live across a customers platform. The new generation just take it to another level. They've repurposed a lot of the technology developed from the companies who developed natural language (the systems which know "Yes", "Yeah", "Alright", "Sure" all mean the same thing in an IVR) alongside the algorithms used by IBMs Deep Blue system; the chess computer from decades back. Integrating that into someone's social media or mobile device with the permissions to track browsing and it knows you've been looking for a new phone or making plans as you start the conversation.