Whats in a name?

Talk about whatever you feel like.
FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Whats in a name?

Post by FirebirdNC » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:38 am

So in the last couple of months, my husband got both his real estate broker license and his home inspection license. We have been trying to think of a name for the home inspection business as this will be his own company. He will be working under his current employer for the time being for the real estate license. I am just drawing a blank for a good name. On one hand, we wanted to do something specific to our area (Island, OBX, Hatteras, NC) but he is also well known by name in the real estate/building community and he has a distinctive name (I.G.) so I also feel like name recognition is important. The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is a national icon so the current front runner is Beacon Inspections (with the logo having both i's be lighthouses) followed by Coastal Inspections. You guys have shown over the years some pretty thoughtful wordplay so I am throwing this out here in the hopes someone has a more clever idea than I do. I just hate to invest the time in branding (website, cards, logo, etc) to then have the perfect name pop up. Help a sistah out!
~Insert clever bon mot here~

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Re: Whats in a name?

Post by FirebirdNC » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:46 pm

I expected a lot more creative juices to be flying at me.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Realty offices can bear a person’s name, of course, though usually a last name. Sometimes a longer view precludes a person’s name or locality under the auspices of expansion and the possibility of a later sale, and then there’s the question of SEO. But “I.G. Realty Services” might work. Or more broadly “I.G. Realty and Inspection of OBX” to cram it all in. “OBXtra” lol
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:28 pm

A house inspector?

Sherlock Homes?

No. I’ve got nothing.
To Let

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things
Omnicode: sxy cm163 kg76 eso.#_glasses sp= Ag1974.October anE hdd Zot RlM Kd1y PeC&C FHb IN14 PrPython(3)^(7)&C(2)^(5)&C++(2)^(7)&JavaScript(2)^(5)&Ruby(1)^(5)&PHP(2)^(5) GM-6DN LAEN(9)&ES(2)^(6)&EO(1)^(7) Crc(6).Security MvD BA! PlM

Post by Martin Blank » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Beacon Inspections sounds more associated with watercraft to me. Coastal Inspections is better, but doesn't feel like it has the twist you're looking for. I shall ponder.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

werefrog
Crazy Person

Post by werefrog » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:54 pm

The Werefrog read that as "Bacon Inspections", and so, just throwing that out there. Who doesn't like bacon?
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:00 pm

There are probably one or two religions that wouldn’t be keen.
Can’t think of any off the top of my head though.
To Let

SouthernKnight
Crazy Person

Post by SouthernKnight » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:46 pm

My mother in law, as well as wife and sister in law at times, have all been in various parts of the realty world. From being buying/selling agents to working in home inspections. One of the companies they worked for over the years is named "Pillar to Post", obviously drawing on parts of the house for inspiration for the name.

I like the idea of the lighthouse being incorporated into it, and especially the beacon part. So maybe something along the lines of "Beacon to Basement" or "Tower to Beacon". Just my thoughts. Good luck!
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

nosystemd
Crazy Person
Omnicode: -Begin OmniCode! version 0.1.7 ----------------
sxy spO.pan anC rl? Pll PrFig
-End OmniCode!--------------------------------

Post by nosystemd » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:25 am

Beacon Realty

Mav
Respect the Wang
Omnicode: Dickbutts

Post by Mav » Mon May 06, 2019 8:32 am

Not enough information to do it justice. For example, Google says Hatteras has a population of 500, so if Hatteras is your entire service area, going with your name in a community that already knows you is going to be your best bet. (Plus home inspectors tend to be sole proprietorships, and I would personally find the honesty about that to be refreshing.) But that's just one assumption - you could always go with Pamlico Property Inspections if you're targeting a larger chunk of the coast - but I think it's important to find something that jives with your husband's personality.

It's also worth making sure the domain is available. That played a heavy factor into figuring out my own branding for logical-inc.com.
Arc_Orion wrote:<Arc_Orion> Mav is like a very interestingly informed six year old.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Mon May 06, 2019 11:51 am

He will be covering Eastern NC so a pretty wide range. Finding a domain has been ridiculous. We decided to go with IGS Home Inspections, Of course IGSHI(which also plays on Hatteras Island and half the tourists have a HI sticker on their vehicles) was taken. igsinspections.com while not in use is not available. So after many other short and easy domains were not available we will be going with igsinspector. The logo has lighthouses for the first i's in the name at least that is the hope as I am still working on it. Anyone willing to do a free logo design :).

Mav
Respect the Wang

Post by Mav » Wed May 08, 2019 9:59 pm

I'm just getting the business started, so I could look into that too. It'll cost you a testimonial though :P

Send me what you have so far - bcomroe@logical-inc.com
Arc_Orion wrote:<Arc_Orion> Mav is like a very interestingly informed six year old.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Thu May 09, 2019 4:43 pm

I found a minor loophole for the domain name it is now www.igs-hi.com There is a temp page up that I need to refine. The logo will be the top of the lighthouse and just simple I.G.S. Home Inspections. There is a picture on the website that I screenshotted from Vista Print so it is terrible and blurry. I would be happy to offer fake words of praise if you could help me out lol. The .png files my daughter made look fine in my email but then when I try to use them they get all craycray.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Mon May 13, 2019 2:10 pm

Ok all I am going to have to humbly admit something. Mav is pretty damn good at advice and a logo and despite his best efforts it is penis free. Of course, it does have a lighthouse on it which is pretty phallic so I guess he can take comfort in that. I just wanted to say publicly that he rocks and I appreciate it.

Mav
Respect the Wang

Post by Mav » Mon May 13, 2019 7:06 pm

<3 You know what they say, work hard troll hard.

(And if you don't mind me stealing the reveal...)