The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
volebagels
Crazy Person

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by volebagels » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:44 am

Hmm, how do you mean? simply go 'off road' and not follow the game directions?

I like pie
Crazy Person
Omnicode: Web developer, indie game developer, writer, musician, cartoonist. I love to create.

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by I like pie » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:07 am

Not so much that we didn't follow the directions, though that is fun too, but rather that we initially were forced to actually look at our surroundings and navigate in a more manual sense. It accidentally created a more natural feeling of presence and immersion.

Once we realized our mistake, and began to use the map to do the thinking for us, the travel experience felt a lot more like every other game. Look at the map, pick a spot, turn on mental auto-pilot. It's more convenient for sure, but what a waste of a beautiful world when there's no reason to really familiarize yourself beyond landmarks.

Our sense of exploration was compromised because we lost the sense of wonder and discovery. It was still a great game, and maybe I'm just overthinking it, but damn if it didn't feel so much grander when we had to find our own way.
"It's like Garr and Andre 3000 of Outkast had a child!" -- StruckingFuggle p339018

Real Life Chat on Discord