Trucks!

Talk about whatever you feel like.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Trucks!

Post by Deacon » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:42 pm

PS I went on a ranch truck search with my friend and neighbor. Found him an '01 Chevy 2500 LT 4x4 extended cab with the 6.0L gas engine and about 160k miles. Great little truck with some minor body damage and fully Line-X'ed bed/rails at one of those questionable little used car lots. Ended up walking out the door at $5k after TTL. Now I'm jealous. My old body style '99 isn't nearly as nice.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:03 am

Deacon wrote:For my Euro friends, I just filled up the truck with diesel at £0.35/liter or just a little under €0.48/liter.
I dunno, man. Given the cost of getting both me and my car to Texas, it probably works out cheaper just to buy it here.
To Let

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:25 am

Surely we could just send you some by post...

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:46 pm

But not as fun?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:27 am

Well, it's not a truck but I did finally take delivery on a much needed piece of equipment today. Behold the Mahindra 2538 hst. 38hp 4wd with loaded rear tires and a front end loader. We bought it with a grapple bucket, box blade, 5' brush cutter, and a 5' land plane. This pic isn't my tractor but mine is identical and you can see the grapple with the loader bucket inside and bush hog on the back.

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201701 ... 271cc0.jpg[/img]

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:30 am

Dude. Nice! What are you using the grapple bucket for, if not moving trees?

I want a Bobcat with a ton of attachments instead. Just super expensive.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:19 pm

Moving trees and ripping out tons of brush. Our property has some of the thickest brush I've ever seen in places. With the front teeth of the grapple bucket in the ground you can tear it out roots and all. I looked at CTLs and skid steers long and hard for the brush flail utility but didn't want to spend the money. This entire package cost less than a skid steer by itself. I went with Mahindra because their tier 4 solution doesn't use a dpf with def. They use larger displacement engines derated to lower horse power and some type of catalytic converter. They're also built much heavier and have higher loader capacities than nearly every other brand.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:11 pm

Yeah my dad has a Bobcat I'll hopefully end up either going in halves with him or just buying off him altogether. It's in great shape and one of the larger and more powerful ones. Even has an actual backhoe attachment. The great thing is they have every attachment you could ever want. The problem is the really nice shredders with stump grinders built in and rock separators and grapples and so on are a lot of money each. But man they're awesome. And I want one of these:

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:46 am

Yeah I'm guessing those are $10k+. Awesome if you run a firewood business though.

I actually got to use the tractor some to clean up around my old barn. The loader didn't even hesitate with a 30' long tree that was about 10-11" at the base. We had to cut it twice to get it on the burn pile. So glad we went with loaded tires. My next implement will probably be a stump bucket and a 3 point quick hitch adapter.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:51 pm

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a PJ T6 24' gooseneck tilt deck trailer. It's a 16' tilt deck with 8' stationary up front. My primary use would be transport of the tractor with rotary cutter + ATV, but I'm the kind of guy that likes to go a little overkill to avoid buying another trailer within the next 10 years. I should be able to haul 2 ATVs and 2 side by sides which would be the most possible scenario in the near future. I like the ground clearance and ease of loading you get with the tilt bed at only around $500 over the cost of the more convenient ramp options. Looks like Happy Trailer Sales in Powderly, TX has the best prices within reasonable driving distance (about 2 hours from my in-laws). My local guy is almost $1k higher but I'm trying to find out if that price includes sales tax.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:16 pm

Wow, nice!

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:49 pm

Well I guess it won't be a PJ. My local(ish) dealer wanted $6750 and the guy in Texas wanted $6125. Then I found out that PJ didn't negotiate any type of requirement with their dealers to service PJ trailers that weren't sold by them. The only dealer in my town is Big Tex and they don't offer a gooseneck tilt option. There's another dealer that's closer than the PJ dealer that handles Diamond C and Load Trail so I guess I'll check them out. The Diamond C 45HDT 24' gooseneck looks like a solid option but the Load Trail gooseneck tilt is over 5k lbs which seems a bit heavy.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:58 pm

My 30 foot OTW dual tandem 20k gooseneck weighs about 7500 pounds empty. But it pulls oh so smooth as long as the truck is set up for it.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:45 pm

I don't understand almost everything about this conversation.

But it's pleasingly homoerotic.
To Let

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:27 pm

At this point I might abandon the tilt option due to availability, weight, and cost. I did find The Trailer Guys in east Texas and they have some pretty awesome deals on Load Trail trailers (built by the brother of the guy that owns PJ in a factory across the street from PJ). Load Trail has the same warranty hangup about taking it back to the dealer you bought it from, but they also bundle 2 years roadside assistance and a 2 year bumper to bumper with the 3 year structural coverage, so it's a much better warranty. I can get a 102"x26' with drive over fendors and the full width ramps for $5700. I could also get a 83"x24' with 5' slide in ramps for $4600 or full width ramps for $5100.

Then there's a part of me that wants to pick up a 83"x22' bumper pull with full width ramps for $3950 and use the sales tax money I wouldn't have to pay (under $4k) to buy a weight distribution hitch. That would leave me a ton of money for air bags and such. I still haven't gotten around to adding that tonneau either.

I always research a thing to death and obsess over the details until the purchase is made (if you hadn't noticed).