Very Amazing & Genuine Images of Netiquette Authorities

Talk about whatever you feel like.
gravity
Crazy Person

Re: Very Amazing & Genuine Images of Netiquette Authorities

Post by gravity » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:00 am

It only counts as weeaboo if you're overly obsessed about Japanese for no good reason. Being in Japan and studying the language and the culture isn't weeaboo, especially if you're enrolled in university courses and using it for such inane tasks and grocery shopping, using mass transit, and paying your bills. Super especially if you're willing to submit yourself to kabuki theater performances. No weeaboo would sacrifice their Friday afternoon and night for kabuki, trust me.

FireAza
Crazy Person

Post by FireAza » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:10 am

I find learning Japanese to be most useful when living in Japan.
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

gravity
Crazy Person

Post by gravity » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:20 am

There are honestly students over here that refuse to learn the words for food products because they insist they're not useful. Yes, these are the same students that only eat at McDonalds and 7-11, and keep getting sick as well. But damn do they ever know the name to every single anime currently being released, because that's apparently super important. :roll:

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:28 pm

gravity wrote:No weeaboo would sacrifice their Friday afternoon and night for kabuki, trust me.
I don't see why anyone would do it. The degradation aside - all that cleaning up. Ugh.
To Let

gravity
Crazy Person

Post by gravity » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:12 pm

Rorschach wrote:
gravity wrote:No weeaboo would sacrifice their Friday afternoon and night for kabuki, trust me.
I don't see why anyone would do it. The degradation aside - all that cleaning up. Ugh.
The screeching, the drama, the fact that only one act is 4.5 hours long! Yes, these plays are meant to be performed for two days straight. At least it's the traditional end of the year performance where you know everyone is going to die, I just don't know which act I have tickets for. Hopefully the last. And, as the National Theater is directly across the moat from the Imperial Palace, I'll have some more photos to post tomorrow. It should be of note only the east gardens are open at the moment, the Imperial Palace opens for visitors on the 23rd, and then again on Jan 2nd.

FireAza
Crazy Person

Post by FireAza » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:26 pm

gravity wrote:There are honestly students over here that refuse to learn the words for food products because they insist they're not useful. Yes, these are the same students that only eat at McDonalds and 7-11, and keep getting sick as well. But damn do they ever know the name to every single anime currently being released, because that's apparently super important. :roll:
I dedicate most of my learning to food product names. And hand tool names.
Rorschach wrote:
Put down some tarpaulin, it'll be all good. Maybe some clear plastic sheeting if you're fancy.
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:29 pm

Gravity, I'm fairly certain he was making a joke based on the confusion of the terms kabuki and bukkake.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

gravity
Crazy Person

Post by gravity » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:49 pm

I never thought I would say this but: I had actually forgotten the term bukkake. It doesn't really come up much in my life anymore. I just thought he was referring to the fact that there's no central heating or air in Japan, so the audience gets to sit and stew or freeze in misery. Five hours in a play house last summer dropped me a good five pounds and I was nearly dripping the entire way home, yech.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:43 pm

It took me a minute, but I got there.

That's what she said. Arigato.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:45 pm

PS Have you been watching The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime streaming? Alternate history where America loses the war while Germany and Japan split North America. Lots of interesting Japanese-y things in there.

gravity
Crazy Person

Post by gravity » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:21 pm

It's not on Amazon Prime streaming in Japan (Netflix got here this September, and Steam is virtually unknown. Japan is a bit behind the times, Blockbuster would probably be safe here for at least another decade), but it is next on my list after I finish Jessica Jones this weekend that's for damn sure.

FireAza
Crazy Person

Post by FireAza » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:35 am

A "bit" behind the times? You can still buy brand-new fax machines here!

What Deacon is describing sounds like a reverse Code Geaus (or however it's spelled, I didn't watch much of it).

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:14 am

Like "Blade Runner", "Total Recall", and "The Minority Report" it's based on a story written by Philip K. Dick. From what I've watched so far (only got up to episode 2) it seems to be doing justice to the original work.

I might have missed it somewhere in the posts, but where are the two of your staying over in Japan?

Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:27 am

Saitama, a Tokyo suburb of sorts, apparently.

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:51 am

Saitama a suburb?

Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.